Quantum entanglement is a reality

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
aka "Spooky action at a distance" and too complicated to explain in a paragraph or two, Einstein, Rosen, Schrödinger and many others studied and dismissed the possibility of two particles - like photons - being entangled in such way that a quantum state change in one cannot be distinguished from the other, *no matter what the distance* even if galaxies and lightyears apart. This quantum entanglement has been proven for small distances, but now that record stands at 1203km apart - a staggering discovery in my mind

http://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-just-quantum-entangled-photons-between-earth-and-space
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-entangled-photons-china-20170615-htmlstory.html

Last edited:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
aka "Spooky action at a distance" and too complicated to explain in a paragraph or two, Einstein, Rosen, Schrödinger and many others studied and dismissed the possibility of two particles - like photons - being entangled in such way that a quantum state change in one cannot be distinguished from the other, *no matter what the distance* even if galaxies and lightyears apart. This quantum entanglement has been proven for small distances, but now that record stands at 1203km apart - a staggering discovery in my mind

http://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-just-quantum-entangled-photons-between-earth-and-space
http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-entangled-photons-china-20170615-htmlstory.html

Mind-blowing stuff to say the least; the next question is that since light is analyzed and studied both in terms of the properties of a single particle and groups of particles that make it up as well as by studying its nature as a wave, does entanglement of photos imply similar entanglement of the waves that contain them? The tempting answer would be to say 'yes', but I don't the correlation is that strong or that automatic given entanglement of photons can concern only 2 individual photons for example...

Love the bits about quantum cryptography in the articles as well! Thanks for sharing!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Great questions - and I have no idea... every time I try to study this stuff in depth, my brain explodes. I am sure we will be answering these questions in the years to come.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
If you have not seen it, the TV series "Genius" on National Geographic, is really outstanding. It covers Einstein's basic discoveries in a very approachable and creative way, but also does a deep dive into his very complicated marriages and home life, his pacifist activities and the politics (anti-semitism) of the Nobel committee that thwarted him for many years. Although Einstein is the subject, it also brings to life Max Planck, Madam Curie, Niels Bohr and other contemporaries of his in a very pleasing way. Really good TV.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Laser beams bouncing. Maybe they are the key to measure the size of the infinite universe?
_____

"While quantum entanglement will always mess with our minds, these new findings open up a whole new realm of real-world applications, from better communication networks to secure payment systems."

While reading the article I was waiting for the mention of laser beams, but first came optical fibres, for much shorter distances.

Imagine, a réseau (network, grid) of very powerful laser beams, travelling very long distances and bouncing back from planets to planets and illuminating the boundaries of the universe... We would be able to know what's on the other side. :b Perhaps it is where some of us go after our séjour here on Earth?
Quantum entanglement is not only about space exploration but also about psyche exploration...the travelling brain waves creating particles to move in one direction while effecting other particles to move in the opposite direction...in harmony. ...Like maintaining a summer garden by removing the bad herbs in order to let the good plants grow in beautiful dance of colors and shapes.

I just came back from an oasis (garden), and doing some quantum entanglement in it. The space above us is also a garden. That's pretty good...over 1,200 kilometers apart. For now it is the new guinness record.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Scientists Just Teleported an Object Into Space for the First Time

Ok, here's the scoop: In this extremely short article, from yesterday, they said for "the first time" they teleported a photon more than 300 miles away.

"Scientists have successfully teleported an object from Earth to space for the first time, paving the way for more ambitious and futuristic breakthroughs.
A team of researchers in China sent a photon from the ground to an orbiting satellite more than 300 miles above through a process known as quantum entanglement, according to MIT Technology Review. It’s the farthest distance tested so far in teleportation experiments, the researchers said. Their work was published online on the open access site arXiv."

_____

Now, on June 16 of this year, last month, from the very first link (sciencealert.com) of the very first post of this thread, posted and started by ack:

"In a new study, scientists have successfully transmitted entangled photons between a satellite and Earth at a distance of over 1,200 kilometres (1,931 miles). This smashes the previous record for entanglement distribution, which only reached up to 100 kilometres."
_____

See what I mean? If the internet is 'packed' of bs errors/mistakes/lies...like that, then this planet we live on with the people scientists living on it, is in great need or readjustment (book management).
* A month ago they reached 1,200 km (745 miles by the way, and NOT 1,931 miles - someone is sleeping deep here, and dreaming...), and just few days ago they reached for "the first time" over 300 miles!

Anyone is welcome to illuminate me.
It is cool that China can teleport photons around satellites (I'm sure we can all benefit from it), but it would be cool too that they get their numbers in order.
If I want to transfer money around the globe, say for example $300,000 to a dying sister in China, I don't want her to get thirty bucks ($30)!

Am I missing something here or are you reading also what I am reading? ...Honest question.
Right now, quantum entanglement my axe.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
If you have not seen it, the TV series "Genius" on National Geographic, is really outstanding. It covers Einstein's basic discoveries in a very approachable and creative way, but also does a deep dive into his very complicated marriages and home life, his pacifist activities and the politics (anti-semitism) of the Nobel committee that thwarted him for many years. Although Einstein is the subject, it also brings to life Max Planck, Madam Curie, Niels Bohr and other contemporaries of his in a very pleasing way. Really good TV.

Yes, I loved he series.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing