Have you heard all your LP'S ?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Today I enjoyed a long session with my system. Playing mostly LP's with just one HDCD thrown in.
I began to realize that I haven't actually heard more than maybe 25% of my LP collection..
So, I wander am I the norm or:confused:
How many of you have heard all of your collection...if you own LP's then both sides of the LP,
if CD's then the whole CD:confused::confused:. What percentage of your collection have you heard?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I can say with all honestly, with both LPs and CDs, no.

Right about the time I was going back to 2channel from AV, I asked my friend's dad why he had so many LPs and CDs and if he had listened to them all. He said simply, also a bit irritated "What's the use of a Library, hijo, if you've read all the books?".

Made sense. I've lived by it ever since and it also extends to movies and books too. Besides they do no harm to the acoustics ;) ;) ;)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
In my case it is CDs, but of course. I bring them home and immediately rip them to my hard drive. Then I listen to them. Why else would I buy them?

Tim

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
While I certainly haven't listened to all of my LP's, I'd say that I have listened to about two-thirds of them.

John

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
I definitely have not listened to everything, particularly multi-disc sets. The more records in a set, the less likely that I will be interested in listening to all of them. For CDs, with certain exceptions of course, I don't care if the disc is jammed to capacity with music. I am more likely to enjoy and listen all the way through a shorter set such as one that matches the original LP.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Today I enjoyed a long session with my system. Playing mostly LP's with just one HDCD thrown in.
I began to realize that I haven't actually heard more than maybe 25% of my LP collection..
So, I wander am I the norm or:confused:
How many of you have heard all of your collection...if you own LP's then both sides of the LP,
if CD's then the whole CD:confused::confused:. What percentage of your collection have you heard?

No I buy albums of interest with the intention of listening to them later--but sadly never get around to listening to them ;) I'd estimate I've heard maybe 85% or so pct of my collection. I'm helped out because when I get albums nowadays, I bring them over to my friends and my weekly Sunday morn music listening session.

Same thing happens with books too! Buy something of interest and maybe get around to reading the book before the new edition comes out :( And no, I'm not a hoarder :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I look at the un-listened to stash as special treats. Days that you have absolutely to yourself come so few and far between. One of the best ways to spend it for me is to dig these out sometimes listening to each 3 or four times when one pass isn't enough to take the pieces in. It's very peaceful.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i have listened to (almost) every Lp i have that i acquired individually since 1994. i keep 'new' Lps separate until i listen (and typically clean them). there are some i have only listened to one side but that would be minimal. the only exceptions are some sealed Lps (maybe a couple of hundred) which are dups and another 100 or so sealed Jazz OJC's i bought about 10 years ago which i open and listen to from time to time.

i purchased one collection with about 1200 Lps about 8 years ago and another collection with about 2500 Lps last spring. i've likely listened to about 25% of either of those collections. the earlier colection had lots of 70's and 80's pop/rock with many dups. the collection from last year had lots of classical.

i have approx 11,000 Lps.

same with my digtal. i've listened to all my 3000 CD's and 1100 SACD's but maybe some not all the way thru.

i have listened to all my 15ips master dubs (around 50, some with 2 reels) all the way thru, but i've only listened to about 1/3rd of my over 100 7 and 1/2ips 4-track tapes.

i have about 1500 of my CD's and another 1500-2000 high rez files on my server. i've listened to all the high rez since sometimes when i'm multi-tasking i listen to the high rez and it plays every track consecutively.

i listen alot.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I could recommend you guys a few worthy charities. Heck, I could send you my address. :)

Tim

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'm a piker here, only about 2,500 LP's and 800 CDs, but I've listened to them all...at least twice. I always make myself listen to new software purchases at least twice before shelving it in the main stack. If I have more than 5-10 unplayed pieces, I impose a moritorium until I've listened to all of the new music.

BTW, I vouch for Mike Lavigne -- he listens a lot! : - ))

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I might have listened to 65% of my LP stack (I own nearly 900) and 85% of my CD library (@ 500) - the point is that I listen to the ones I like a lot - and that should be around 25% of both universes - listening them more than ten times each.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I could recommend you guys a few worthy charities. Heck, I could send you my address. :)

Tim

i've tried to give some of my Lps to a library, but they did not want them.

i have given some to Goodwill (which was the source of maybe 1000 of my Lps back in the day); and as i listen to my 'un-sorted' Lps i will give some more. but i also plan to 'set-up' my daughter and son-in-law and my son with Lp collections and 'starter tt's' when they have the space to enjoy them.

i'm just the current 'caretaker' of this music.

Tim, if you come to visit me sometime i'd be glad to offer a few dozen Lps to 'seed' an Lp collection for you.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I'm a piker here, only about 2,500 LP's and 800 CDs, but I've listened to them all...at least twice. I always make myself listen to new software purchases at least twice before shelving it in the main stack. If I have more than 5-10 unplayed pieces, I impose a moritorium until I've listened to all of the new music.

what Jazdoc did not point out is that he likely has the best collection of excellent pressings of great Jazz Lps that i have seen or heard, along with many great contemporary pop/rock Lps. i'd trade my 'numbers' for his quality any time. his musical knowledge has really helped me to learn.

i lament my gear/room focus over the last 5-6 years slowed down my software acquisition. Jazdoc has kept up a better balance in that area.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
what Jazdoc did not point out is that he likely has the best collection of excellent pressings of great Jazz Lps that i have seen or heard, along with many great contemporary pop/rock Lps. i'd trade my 'numbers' for his quality any time.

Mike, thanks for the kind words. In the spirit of the season, I will gladly adopt your unwanted 45 rpm lps ; - )

BTW, next time we get together, I've got a mono first pressing of Art Pepper's "Smack Up" you've got to hear to believe...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
jazdoc, I am kind of with you... I have also tried to collect quality vs. quantity. I just picked up a 1000 LP collection and actually have kept maybe a total of 20-30 LP's from it; the rest went to Goodwill:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing