Giya G3 close to side walls

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
Hi all, my speakers were placed by my dealer. Due to space concerns i have them 1.5 feet from the side walls. My question is if I need to treat the adjacent side walls, May be place bass panels there? Appreciate opinions and if bass may be impact with such placement.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's the midrange that's going to be reflecting off of the wall the most, in front of the speakers a bit. The bass has such long wave lengths that you can't really just assume it's where it looks like you've pointed the drivers at, nodes and nulls form in a bit more of a complex manner.

Need? That's a matter of taste. With toe-in you need less.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Hi all, my speakers were placed by my dealer. Due to space concerns i have them 1.5 feet from the side walls. My question is if I need to treat the adjacent side walls, May be place bass panels there? Appreciate opinions and if bass may be impact with such placement.

I had G3's very close to the wall also with no ill effects. It is not the bass you need be concerned with, it is the first reflection point for the midrange to treble that will cause an issue. That is pretty simple to solve.

Ohlins

Mar 1, 2015
Singapore
3m by 5m ......

As for bass issues, it is with the room not the speakers ............. So bass treatment is a given, not an option ...

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Space looks fantastic..you clearly put as much importance in the room as the gear
My best audiophile pal has G3's and I have helped him with setup and room treatment..they are truly stunning speakers .. I think they are the model in the giya range that offers the best bang for the buck

I would try toe the speakers in a lot more violently .. they should focus to a point about 1 ft in front of your face.
The cityscape white diffusors would do better on the 1st reflection point on the ceiling than high up on the side walls.

ASC tube traps or a DIY version are very good bass traps .. apart from bass , they also do absorption and diffusion and have a small footprint .. 16" diameter isnt much.. along with that , perhaps consider a software suite like DIRAC for bass control as well
Enjoy your listening

Ohlins

Mar 1, 2015
Singapore
Hi Rodney, thanks for the suggestions .... I firmly believe the room is the most important factor of all ...

And there is already treatment at the first reflection points on the ceiling as well ..... :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing