Thread: SME Series V

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor

SME Series V

Was looking to buy another tonearm and wanted to know if there is a difference between the Series V with the Silver lettering vs. the Gold lettering.
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

I believe there is a difference besides the color of the print. I can't remember what I read, but I think it has to do with type of wiring and perhaps the bearing. I'd send an email to SME and ask the question.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    Thanks Peter. The one I have has gold lettering and the one I was looking at has the silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    Was looking to buy another tonearm and wanted to know if there is a difference between the Series V with the Silver lettering vs. the Gold lettering.
    The one thing I know for sure Bruce is that all new SME tonearms now come wired with silver wires, you can't even get replacement wiring for their vintage arms that's not silver.

David
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers,
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.
    VENTA Air Washers & Humidifiers

Manufacture: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    Thanks David.... I got a new cartridge and figured it would be much easier to change arms, since I already have an additional base, than to change out cartridges....
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Thanks David.... I got a new cartridge and figured it would be much easier to change arms, since I already have an additional base, than to change out cartridges....
    Wise decision ... The SME30 base is a precision device that locks perfectly in place. I considered it, just to have an SMEV and a Graham 2.2 in the SME30. BTW, as far as I know the silver/gold lettering is now just a cosmetic option, all current SMEV's come with vdH silver litz wire of type MCS150.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Soundlab A1 Px's while waiting for the XLF successor, EMT927, SME3012R, ARC Phono 3, Lamm ML1.2 Ref, Lamm L2ref, Stealth Dream speaker , Crystal Dreamline ICs, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

You're welcome Bruce. In case of the V/12 I agree with you, it is easier to swap out arms on armboards than changing cartridges. I'm sure if you look around you can find older V/12s if silver is an issue, it is for me.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers,
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.
    VENTA Air Washers & Humidifiers

Manufacture: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup