Kharma DB9 S

EspenL

Aug 2, 2014
Norway
Use your own ears and go for what you like best :)
Good luck :)

Espen L

sale

Dec 15, 2014
Toronto
Use your own ears and go for what you like best :)
Good luck :)

Espen L

Will do. Upload your dB9 D'Agostino playing Mahler's fifth (or something of similar nature) and I (and 999 other spectators) will listen. Our likes/dislikes will determine how good (or bad, or average) your system is on that particular song. The question here is whether one should (or should not) invest in a particular equipment. My point is: one should only invest if one likes it (as you said) AND if the public in general likes it (what's the point in buying and not be able to sell to the next guy down the road).

EspenL

Aug 2, 2014
Norway
Will do. Upload your dB9 D'Agostino playing Mahler's fifth (or something of similar nature) and I (and 999 other spectators) will listen. Our likes/dislikes will determine how good (or bad, or average) your system is on that particular song. The question here is whether one should (or should not) invest in a particular equipment. My point is: one should only invest if one likes it (as you said) AND if the public in general likes it (what's the point in buying and not be able to sell to the next guy down the road).

There are many variables that play in! Room / Source etc ... Take my advice now and use your own ears :) When it comes to you tube to other things, the source is not worthy speakers like Kharma Magico etc ... Loudspeakers in this class should have the best sources!

Espen L

sale

Dec 15, 2014
Toronto
There are many variables that play in! Room / Source etc ... Take my advice now and use your own ears :) When it comes to you tube to other things, the source is not worthy speakers like Kharma Magico etc ... Loudspeakers in this class should have the best sources!

Espen L

You seem to not understanding what I am saying. Upload with the very best source you have, very best cables, very best everything. Whatever you upload though, will not come close to Kharma Exquisite / Lamm ML3 combo. Which is fine. We are establishing the baseline with Kharma Exquisite / Lamm ML3. Mind you, Kharma Exquisite / Lamm ML3 sounds extraordinary through YT as well. Once you upload, we will be able to hear how FAR from this ideal sound you (and other systems, e.g. Kharma S7 Signature, dB7, Mini Exquisites, Kharma 3.2, etc.) are. We will be able to discern the best one among these systems (knowing perfectly well that none of these will approach Kharma Exquisite / ML3 $300,000 system). I claim that many owners hide behind subjectivity agenda. They sell to each other allegedly worthless (in terms of bang for the buck) equipment, when they could have much more capable system for a fraction of the cost. Here is the baseline sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GINQKJ-T9vY

EspenL

Aug 2, 2014
Norway
You seem to not understanding what I am saying. Upload with the very best source you have, very best cables, very best everything. Whatever you upload though, will not come close to Kharma Exquisite / Lamm ML3 combo. Which is fine. We are establishing the baseline with Kharma Exquisite / Lamm ML3. Mind you, Kharma Exquisite / Lamm ML3 sounds extraordinary through YT as well. Once you upload, we will be able to hear how FAR from this ideal sound you (and other systems, e.g. Kharma S7 Signature, dB7, Mini Exquisites, Kharma 3.2, etc.) are. We will be able to discern the best one among these systems (knowing perfectly well that none of these will approach Kharma Exquisite / ML3 $300,000 system). I claim that many owners hide behind subjectivity agenda. They sell to each other allegedly worthless (in terms of bang for the buck) equipment, when they could have much more capable system for a fraction of the cost. Here is the baseline sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GINQKJ-T9vY

Totally hopelessly through you tube! Sorry !

Espen L

EspenL

Aug 2, 2014
Norway
So what? It will be equally hopeless for every system that yours compare to, will it not?

Same room and same source against each other , then you can compare and put two lines under the answer. everything else is mostly just a bad thing in my opinion!
But me about this.
Good luck with you tube comparison :)

Espen L

sale

Dec 15, 2014
Toronto
Same room and same source against each other , then you can compare and put two lines under the answer. everything else is mostly just a bad thing in my opinion!
But me about this.
Good luck with you tube comparison :)

Espen L

Remember that many owners of the speaker XYZ upload recordings of their systems. What counts is the average. If a person pays for dB9 and use $200 cable, I don't think such person represents majority. We don't care if somebody uses D'Agostino and somebody uses T+A. If it is high-end, it is sufficient for comparison.
Majority of people that upload will have had decent setups, because as I said, majority of uploaders are audiophiles. If you trust your system, upload some songs. In doing so, you ca only gain (if you trust your system; if not, that's another story).

EspenL

Aug 2, 2014
Norway
Remember that many owners of the speaker XYZ upload recordings of their systems. What counts is the average. If a person pays for dB9 and use $200 cable, I don't think such person represents majority. We don't care if somebody uses D'Agostino and somebody uses T+A. If it is high-end, it is sufficient for comparison.
Majority of people that upload will have had decent setups, because as I said, majority of uploaders are audiophiles. If you trust your system, upload some songs. In doing so, you ca only gain (if you trust your system; if not, that's another story).

Still my opinion

But me about this.
Good luck with you tube comparison

Espen L

Reactions: Hamburger

sale

Dec 15, 2014
Toronto
Still my opinion

But me about this.
Good luck with you tube comparison

Espen L

It seems to me that you are afraid to publish your system on Youtube. There are 1000s of systems out there, some costing over 1 million. I think I know the reason: all new Kharma lower offerings (<= dB9) sound hard, all of them. Thus you are smart enough not to upload and expose weaknesses of your system (compared to much cheaper but extremely good sounding alternatives).

EspenL

Aug 2, 2014
Norway
Got installed my preamplifier and power S250 from Dan D Agostino this weekend.
Playing fantastic straight from the box at Kharma DB9 S looks forward to the continuation :)

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3753.jpg

Espen L

Reactions: XV-1 and Hamburger

kenny chin

Jan 28, 2021
Espen,
Are you still keeping the Kharma DB9S ?
I saw your post not long ago in Dec 2020 as i am searching for all articles on Kharma DB9S, planning for an upgrade of speaker to either DB9S / DB11S or Wilson Alexia 2.
1 - My listening hall is 16ft x 26 ft, do you think it can accomodate DB11S ?
Will it be booming with excessive bass ?
2 - Is my current amplification enough to handle the DB9s/ DB11s ?
( Accuphase C2800 pre/ Luxman M900U power amp )
Thanks
Kenny Chin
Malaysia

EspenL

Aug 2, 2014
Norway
Espen,
Are you still keeping the Kharma DB9S ?
I saw your post not long ago in Dec 2020 as i am searching for all articles on Kharma DB9S, planning for an upgrade of speaker to either DB9S / DB11S or Wilson Alexia 2.
1 - My listening hall is 16ft x 26 ft, do you think it can accomodate DB11S ?
Will it be booming with excessive bass ?
2 - Is my current amplification enough to handle the DB9s/ DB11s ?
( Accuphase C2800 pre/ Luxman M900U power amp )
Thanks
Kenny Chin
Malaysia
Hi
I have upgraded to Kharma Midi. I have heard DB 11 and they play bigger with more bass than DB 9 but dB 11 are very large and they require a large living room. I really liked the DB 9 and guess you will be happy with them :)

IMG_3657.jpg

Kharma.jpg

Espen L

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing