You don't like that music...why??

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
We all have music that we like to listen to...some like RAP, some like jazz, others like classical or rock etc..

Most of us can state why we like one particular genre and what (or who) appeals to us within that genre.

I think it is fairly easy to comment on the various pluses that we have for the genre that we like.....now here's the Question...... what music/genre do we actually dislike?? I was pondering this question yesterday after a long session listening to bop (jazz). I happen to really like this music.But I know there are members here who actually dislike it. I dislike opera...because I don't like the singing and I don't particularly like the overall tonality of the vocals...plus I find it very dry and somewhat boring. I also don't particularly like RAP ( of the Gangsta variety)...
I will elaborate on that later.
Please comment on what music you dislike and more importantly....why?

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I don't like profanity rap. I do like opera and most everything else.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
My parents abducted me from my coastal childhood hangout and marooned me in the inland capital of country music heartland in Australia.

I was then into The Cure and The Smiths and all of a sudden I was surrounded by many many happy line dancers... sigh.

No beach, no punk scene but the pub bands were still OK so even in the country it's possible to find good music if not necessarily so much my music.

So it's mostly just bad music I don't like and there is bad music in most every genre... not sitting on the fence on this one but certainly I find great systems tend to make more diverse and challenging music accessible for more people.

I've always loved jazz and my uncle was a jazz muso so I was raised on it but certainly I find more people will get into it with a system that is good at rhythm, tonality and presence. Same with more challenging forms of classical and opera. Bad music is inexcusable but there is good music everywhere, in every culture, every genre and every time... it is inherent in the soul of the great musician no matter what their preferred medium.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I dislike music where singers are yelling, and screaming, ...all that nasty hard core metal, punk and rap. Their voices pierce through your ears and tear the timpani apart. It is so irritating and disturbing that you are very close to die of a heart seizure. ...No kidding!

I love opera because to me it is the most emotional musical human experience of them all, and choral music too.
I love classical orchestral and chamber. I love Jazz and Blues. I love World music that is happy and dancing and exotic and sensual.
I love new age, avant-garde, psychedelic, meditative, instrumental, ...brief good sounding music, smooth even with synthesizer and drums.

I love music that speaks smoothly to my heart and soul.
I hate music that speaks violently to my brain and nerves; I simply don't play any. And if it plays somewhere else, I walk far far far away from there.

The music that speaks to my body language with deep comfortable impact...is Blues.
The music that speaks the most intensively with emotions of tears and joy...is Opera, and Choral.
The music that speaks the most smoothly to my aura/soul...is Classical; from solo piano to chamber to orchestral.
The music that speaks best in general with my overall mood...is Jazz; from smooth Jazz to complex Jazz.
The music that speaks best to me wanting to dance...is Dancing music (World/International)...Tango, Gypsy, Cuba, Brazil, Africa, etc.

For reading; my own acoustic guitar and steel flute recordings (smooth new age). No voice, my voice is no good, but I can write poetry.
I am not a great music player, but a smooth one. I like discovering new stuff, and with other open musicians too. It has to vibe right commonly. I like improvisation, in the moment, in the mood of the instant, and progress from there, with a deep sense of touch with all my surrounding, the planet earth, the space above and below, the wildlife, the humanity, the universe. I don't write music, I don't read music, I live and play music, from practical improvisation. What I play is totally different than everything I listen to; it is creation to expand my mind.

Smooth woman voices is what I need in my life to complete my 'structure'. So I love listening to the greatest women singers of all time. You know which ones already; I've been here long enough.

And it's very true that for each person there is a unique musical journey/evolution. What we loved when we were young we still in general today in a more refined way.
And one more thing; from stereo music I evolved to multichannel music...some genre, like classical, tangerine dream, floyd, jarre, new age, ...

And live music could be a much closer experience ever communicated between the musicians and the audience. There is nothing more real and powerful when all the stars are well aligned. It is totally transformative from all our senses.

To feel completely free? When I play music for few hours, my own playing, like painting, like working the type of work you love to do. You feel relaxed after you're done, totally numb, in peace with life, in ecstasy with the sky, in love with the earth, in trance with the universe, @ ease with everything that lives, that moves...people, animals, plants, trees.

Last edited:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I too find death metal and other distorted harsh music not to my taste
Not into opera and chamber music as I find it boring.. otherwise anything will do..

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm one of those weirdos that thinks life has got to have a soundtrack. For me there is no bad music per se, just the wrong music for particular times or events. The music has got to fit the vibe or it's got to create the vibe desired. Even listening alone, the question I ask my self (usually subconsciously)prior to selecting the first cut to play is "What mood am I in and what mood do I want to be shifted to if ever?" A lot of this is obvious to all of us. I mean you don't want anything loud and grating at a solemn affair but it might fit right in at a sporting event. How about a choice between Reggae or Mediterranean music for the beach, why not some Jimmy Buffet even if feeling particularly "Tiki"? I don't usually listen to country music but I love watching and listening to country musicians at barbecues. Hip Hop at a club, yeah. R&B at a lounge. Music from my University days on long drives, hell yeah. Mahler and Wagner in the morning! Chopin at night. Jazz while having a smoke and a spirit. New Age while getting a massage. Eastern classical while meditating (thanks Frantz!). Choral music at Church. Music on the golf course NEVER.

It's when I'm listening with company that gets really interesting. So many choices to create a superior SOCIAL experience. Frankly I like sharing the sonic side of our hobby but that pales greatly to the fun to be had when the critical listening is done with and things are allowed to flow.

I guess that's what happens when you are of the mixtape generation. <shrug>

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I really don't like discounting an entire genre as there is usually some stuff I like about it, but I'm not a big fan of grunge and most of the heavy metal variants. To me, and from what I've heard, it's mostly just random generated loud noise. As such I have no desire to explore it further. I have no great love for EDM either. I prefer my music played by human beings with actual musical instruments as opposed to a computer generated composition. I find most of it very droning. It just doesn't grab me. I can live without Opera, Rap/Hip-Hop and twangy Country, but I won't go so far as to dismiss those genres in their entirety.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You know what game might be fun? Name genres you like and those you don't. Someone tries to find a song from the disliked genre that you might like. :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have never easily taken to music with a beat. I need to keep listening to constant changes, which I think Led Zep and classical provide me the best. If I see a pattern, I lose interest quickly.

i don't like rap, pop, bollywood, or the kind of heavy metal where powe cords go at a rythmic pace. Fyi, though I like Led Zep, I never liked Whole Lotta Love for the same reason, I only liked the 22 min live from How the West Was Won

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Another thing that occurs to me....as we age, our musical tastes also change. When I was a wee lad, i really did NOT like jazz at all. To that, I also did not like country. Now I listen to a lot of jazz ( although mostly bop, I'm not a big fan of fusion...which is odd, as I used to like fusion a lot more than bop...go figure??) and I can stand country ( although it certainly isn't my first choice). The exposure that we get listening to music is also something that it seems everyone has a differing experience with. Jack and Johnny have good points though; it is very possible that there would be some areas in a particular genre that one could like...although I don't think there would be enough for me to change my mind entirely about the genre and want to listen to it on a daily basis.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I opened the pages of the world's newspapers this morning, and after being informed of the latest currents planet wide I put this album (West) inside the CD drawer:

I love Folk/Country music, lots of it (not all of it), with a deep passion in the right time. That's another genre which would make an awesome thread for music lovers. Some of the lyrics, Bob Dylan, Lucinda, ...are true life poetry in simple words that reflects perfectly our thoughts @ times.
Beats Rap and Hard Core Metal/Punk big time.

It has zero distortion, zero prejudice.
_____

• Extra bonus: http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news...el-prize-lecture/ar-BBCEciX?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Last edited:

eljr

Aug 12, 2015
There is good music and there is great music, there is no bad music.

eljr

Aug 12, 2015
Another thing that occurs to me....as we age, our musical tastes also change..

as does the pleasure we derive from it

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
We all have music that we like to listen to...some like RAP, some like jazz, others like classical or rock etc..

Most of us can state why we like one particular genre and what (or who) appeals to us within that genre.
I really don't care for "why" because it is a post hoc issue. What we like and dislike is personal, subjective and emotional. Why is, to a great extent, merely justification and not a real explanation.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
agree with Kal that 'likes and dislikes' are subjective. and we don't have to exactly understand why.

if music has no melody, then it would have to connect with me in another way.....which is possible but unlikely. i can also relate to the visuals and environment making a difference. all our senses and memories are part of the enjoyment. and degrees of medication can also play a part to tolerance levels.

spoken word with rhythm to me is not music, so rap/hip-hop that some call music to me is just not music. it's something else. and i have zero interest in it. but I've heard a few 'cuts' of that genre and liked them.....but just a few. maybe watching a football game, and the team or fans reacting to certain rap music, i can get into it for the association with my passion for the team and sport, with nothing to do with it as music. more a cheer.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I like most music except for gangsta rap, modern country and American folk music. Why? ...IDK, it just bothers me. The emotions it evokes and subject matter of the lyrics I just don't connect with.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
"The emotions it evokes and subject matter of the lyrics I just don't connect with".

And that's the 'why'.... which I think explains your feelings well.
IMHO, we all have a perfectly good reason to not like a certain piece of music in a certain genre. Perhaps, like Mike L states above, we dislike a complete genre. Although, I think most of us get exposed to some piece or other in that genre that we can say that we do not 'dislike'! OTOH, I am also fairly certain that in the genres that we favor...and can say that we are fans of, that there are certain pieces that leave us 'cold'.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I understand but, for me, lyrics are pretty much irrelevant. It is the music I like or it is not.

For some music I'd agree but it can be a major part of the music sometimes. Gangsta rap talking about violence, drugs and misogyny, country lyrics with songs about their lifted Chevy pickup, etc... From July 4th a couple years ago... "I got a Chevy pickup with a lift kit, the only thing that would make it better is if you were up in it." Yeah, I just can't handle it.... :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing