Jriver Video Problems

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I am having a very strange problem with JRiver 22 connected to HDMI input on Oppo. Worked fine for years, then I once disconnected my server from Oppo (to use another source). Ever since I plugged the server with JRiver back in I have been having this problem.

When I start a video track, I am getting a "Failed to setup video window (hr=0x80004002) error message and the track won't start. I tried reinstalling JRiver, different cable, different HDMI imput on Oppo and even different HDMI switch. Same problem. Here is what is even weirder. When I unplug HDMI from Oppo, JRiver plays the track just fine, and when I plug HDMI into my Oppo while the track is playing, I get video. However, when I select another track, I get the same error message. It seems like something is going wrong with the HDMI handshake.

Anyone has any suggestions how to troubleshoot / fix this problem. I can't play any video files now, which is incredibly annoying.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Smells like a video driver issue. See if that can be upgraded.

If not, bang your head against the wall three times. It won't do anything but the pain will take your mind of the problem you are having.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Did you...in your Oppo BR player (103/D, 105/D)...

• Make sure the firmware is the most recent.
• Reset factory defaults and erase persistent storage (write down your settings first).

* Bonus:
I mentioned your issue @ another forum; if I get a reply with the solution, I'll be pronto to share here.

prerich

May 21, 2012
I believe I've seen this error before. When you uninstalled JRiver - did you do a complete uninstall (to include registry entries). If I'm not mistaken - this is what it took for someone else in another forum to get rid of this error.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thanks everyone. I believe the problem has been traced back to an video driver update windows took the liberty of doing automatically. I reinstalled the driver and Jriver and for now it works again. I have a hunch the problem will come back and I'm not out of the woods yet. We'll see.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Did you...in your Oppo BR player (103/D, 105/D)...

• Make sure the firmware is the most recent.
• Reset factory defaults and erase persistent storage (write down your settings first).

* Bonus:
I mentioned your issue @ another forum; if I get a reply with the solution, I'll be pronto to share here.

It is not an Oppo problem. I had the same problem taking the Oppo out of the chain, inserting an HDMI switch.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
predictably, the problem came back. I'm leaning towards the sledgehammer and buy new hardware approach at this point.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I uninstalled the Radeon r7 card in my device manager and was going to reinstall it. Now windows can't find the hardware and I am totally screwed. I hate computers.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I uninstalled the Radeon r7 card in my device manager and was going to reinstall it. Now windows can't find the hardware and I am totally screwed. I hate computers.
I gave up on using computers for video a few years ago :) Complexity is the enemy of reliability. THis is why I only use my PC server for music and nothing else. And specifically don't like to use Jriver there.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I gave up on using computers for video a few years ago :) Complexity is the enemy of reliability. THis is why I only use my PC server for music and nothing else. And specifically don't like to use Jriver there.

It is exasperating. Especially the apparent complete random nature of stuff stopping to work. Not just PCs and video though. My living room system Oppo completely randomly decides whether or not to show up as rendered (DLNA streaming) in Jremote.

I may have resolved the graphics card issue. When I tried reinstalling the drivers I reinstalled AMD crimson drivers. I never got an error message - problem persisted. Then I uninstalled the card completely, and when I tried reinstalling crimson, I got error message harsware unsupported. So I installed older version of drivers (ADM catalyst) and this seems to have solved the problem.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing