Macintosh MC2102 Power Amp help needed

barrie

May 26, 2017
hi Purchased a Mcintosh MC2102 Power Amp couples up with a audio research sp9 pre on a pair of esl63 quads but music sounds very hard and crappy hi-end vocals can anyone help

cheers in advance

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
hi Purchased a Mcintosh MC2102 Power Amp couples up with a audio research sp9 pre on a pair of esl63 quads but music sounds very hard and crappy hi-end vocals can anyone help

cheers in advance

Was the amp tested by a tech? Mac maybe a little colored but what you describe is not a quality I have ever witnessed with that amp. Also are the cables new?

barrie

May 26, 2017
Hi Roger

Thanks for the reply ..... I purchased the amp from Europe .. Im in the U.K. so was unable to audition it .... it came with a set of new phono cables and I've put new valves in the audio research just incase it was that ... the quads have just been re-built by Quad so they are ok ... Im using a naim audio cd3 it sounds fine in my naim system so really don't know what to do next apart from buying new valves ... they were suppose to have all been tested and matched before I bought it ... if did come from a hifi shop in portegul

cheers

Barrie

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Hi Roger

Thanks for the reply ..... I purchased the amp from Europe .. Im in the U.K. so was unable to audition it .... it came with a set of new phono cables and I've put new valves in the audio research just incase it was that ... the quads have just been re-built by Quad so they are ok ... Im using a naim audio cd3 it sounds fine in my naim system so really don't know what to do next apart from buying new valves ... they were suppose to have all been tested and matched before I bought it ... if did come from a hifi shop in portegul

cheers

Barrie

Hi Barrie
Read these reviews. Seems like there could be a problem. Have you run the amplifier for at least a week? See if anybody can recommend a tech in your area and call him.Good luck...also post this problem over on Audio Karma forum...lots of MAC people there.
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/amplifiers/mcintosh/mc2102/prd_347915_1583crx.aspx

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I used to own a pair of MC2102's and hard and crappy they are not. They are pretty tubey sounding.

Have you played around with the different taps on the amp - that will have a large difference in sounding depending what taps you are using. In theory the 4ohm taps should sound best, but try 2 and 8 ohms.

barrie

May 26, 2017
ok if the speakers are 8 ohms surely I cannot plug them into 4 ohms won't it damage my electrostatics... I was wondering if the amp and pre-amp are a mismatch

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

barrie

May 26, 2017
Ok thanks for that ... it has not made much difference at all I'm trying to get hold of another valve pre amp to se what thats like but I'm sure its a miss match between the audio research and Macintosh

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have owned an MC2102 with ESL63 - a great sound with the C2200. Mine is now playing in Italy ...

The ARC SP9, particularly the mk1 and 2, can sound lean, even thin and edgy, in some systems. A disaster with most CD players IMHO ... Perhaps you should try another real tube preamplifier - the SP9 is an hybrid.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have owned an MC2102 with ESL63 - a great sound with the C2200. Mine is now playing in Italy ...

The ARC SP9, particularly the mk1 and 2, can sound lean, even thin and edgy, in some systems. A disaster with most CD players IMHO ... Perhaps you should try another real tube preamplifier - the SP9 is an hybrid.

+1

Sell the Sp9 and get the C2200 or C2300 instead.

barrie

May 26, 2017
Thanks for the reply .... if I could afford to buy a Macintosh pre amp I would but funds were a little low after purchasing the amp/speakers/turntable thats why I went for the sp9 is there any alternatives

thanks in advance

Barrie

pessoa00

Feb 25, 2015

cheers in advance

I’m probably a little late and you already figured it out, but here it goes anyway. I’m not surprised ARC with Mc sounded like you mentioned. The Arc has an output impedance of 500 ohms and requires an amp of minimum 60k ohms (100k and higher is better). The Mc is 20k, which means is a no go.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing