The HI FI show in Anahiem, T.H.E. SHOW

panreels

Aug 28, 2016
Is anyone going to attend the T.H.E SHOW at Anaheim in southern Cal. This September, I look at the exhibitors list and the list is small, is this the end or last year for T.H.E. SHOW?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If I lived down there I would go. But since I don't, definitely not worth flying down for it. It is also awfully close to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (in October).

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I am hopeful. I will visit the venue again next week and talk to the organizers.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I definitely am not going to go.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I definitely am not going to go.

Ron, you're reasonably local, so if you don't mind me asking, is there a specific reason why you wouldn't attend?

thanks,
alex

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
We'll see how our calendar develops around that time.
I'm only
somewhat acquainted with the Anaheim Convention Center and have favorable recollections of it.
IIRC, I had accommodations at a nearby Hyatt or Marriott...unfamiliar with the Hilton Anaheim.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, you're reasonably local, so if you don't mind me asking, is there a specific reason why you wouldn't attend?

thanks,
alex

Dear Alex,

No big reasons; only a few small reasons:

1) My impression is that the industry attendees will be merely a subset of who and what we just saw at Sheraton Gateway. See https://thehomeentertainmentshow.com/z-exhibitors-list/

2) So, based on 1), it looks like very few of my industry friends will be there.

3) I assume -- without knowing -- that the bi-furcation of T.H.E. Show Newport (ah, Irvine) into the LA Audio Show we just attended and the Anaheim show coming up was the result of some sort of pettiness and egos. Since Marine Presson and Bob Levi were the driving forces behind the Irvine show and they rallied to put on the LA Audio Show I do not feel inclined the patronize the "other team."

4) I feel badly for manufacturers who have to run from Munich to Chicago to LAX and then to RMAF. I don't see the need to burden them with another Southern California show.

5) Four full days of LA Audio Show (which I loved!) was enough high-end audio for me for a while (and more than enough for my wife).

Ron

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Got it, thanks :)

I understand the split was far from amicable, but at this point, I'm more interested in advancing our industry, and from the initial talks I've had with the organizers at the Anaheim show, they surely know what their doing, and their view/opinions match mine. That's why I'm inclined to support their show. Specially since the Anaheim hotel seems to be *so much* better than the stuff we've been subjected to at the LAX hotel...

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
We'll see how our calendar develops around that time.
I'm only
somewhat acquainted with the Anaheim Convention Center and have favorable recollections of it.
IIRC, I had accommodations at a nearby Hyatt or Marriott...unfamiliar with the Hilton Anaheim.

Pretty much everything you need right there you really would not even need to drive anywhere as it is next door to Disneyland. Lots of places to eat.

To close to the LA Show for me and we can hope the bickering stops between the groups.
How about a Seattle show some day!

For me everything was perfect at the Irvine location sad to see it dissolve.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Got it, thanks :)

I understand the split was far from amicable, but at this point, I'm more interested in advancing our industry, and from the initial talks I've had with the organizers at the Anaheim show, they surely know what their doing, and their view/opinions match mine. That's why I'm inclined to support their show. Specially since the Anaheim hotel seems to be *so much* better than the stuff we've been subjected to at the LAX hotel...

It's more in my backyard than Ron's. I'll likely go for a day as I'm sure that's all I'll need

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I liked the Irvine Hotel location too.

Bob Levi told me very simply that the owner of the Hotel Irvine had no interest in hosting the event again. So whatever the cause of bickering between the competing factions under no circumstances was an audio show going to be held again at the Hotel Irvine.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Alex, I thought that for the exhibitors the demo rooms were better at the Hotel Irvine than they were at the Sheraton Gateway. I thought the hotel rooms at the Sheraton on the 14th Floor were very nice for staying in.

My main issue (which was totally trivial) with the Sheraton Gateway was that by Thursday evening the main restaurant ran out of tuna tartare and salmon entree. So I spent the next days of lunches and dinners eating mainly fried vegetable spring rolls.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'm looking forward to the Anaheim show. To me, the LA show was a bust. The drive up was a PITA and the rooms just didn't sound that great. Plus, the Sheraton was kind of a maze to find your way around, so I'm with Alex---even if the Anaheim show doesn't have that many exhibitors, I would rather have quality than quantity.

panreels

Aug 28, 2016
I went to T.H.E. SHOW at Irvine last year and had a really good time and was looking forward to going this year, in fact I have already book a room at the Hilton Anaheim, but from the way things are I’m probably going to cancel, I look at the exhibitors list and I do not see any venders of any real interest and the cost for the hotel and travel it’s just not worth it, so if things don’t change in the next few weeks I’ll have to pass this year and by the time I heard about the L.A. audio show it was to late, I just don’t think two audio shows in the LA. Area this close together will work, so hopefully by next year this will get work out and will have one great show next year

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My main issue (which was totally trivial) with the Sheraton Gateway was that by Thursday evening the main restaurant ran out of tuna tartare and salmon entree.
Don't know about salmon but running out of Ahi Tuna Poke was a federal crime! :D They said something about it being part of a limited menu. I could have eaten that every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
I am missing it this year but going to RMAF as they have more rooms. I think the LA show diluted the Newport show and it is too close to RMAF.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Pretty much everything you need right there you really would not even need to drive anywhere...Precisely, I recall walking to the Anaheim Convention Center for my training.

...as it is next door to Disneyland. My spouse has never been to the West Coast D-land and this interests her! Hmm -- perhaps, an opportune time to pick up some gear. :p

Lots of places to eat. Yes. I think there's a Ruth's Chris in the vicinity.

For me everything was perfect at the Irvine location sad to see it dissolve. True for me -- that.

x

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Don't know about salmon but running out of Ahi Tuna Poke was a federal crime! :D They said something about it being part of a limited menu. I could have eaten that every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Me too! I had it twice (on Thursday) before they ran out of it.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
I am missing it this year but going to RMAF as they have more rooms. I think the LA show diluted the Newport show and it is too close to RMAF.

I think you are right. RMAF has more key exhibitors than the Anaheim show. Their proximity on the calendar is going to encourage listeners and manufacturers to pick one or the other.
RMAF looks like the winner in that duel.

https://thehomeentertainmentshow.com/z-exhibitors-list/
https://www.audiofest.net/attending/exhibitors/?keyword=A

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing