Transport to Spin Red book CD's

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ferrox, you don't have to convince me.
Cdp all the way.
My possible move to streamer/dac will be ALONGSIDE, NOT INSTEAD OF my cdp.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I've had all the transports you listed and many more, the CEC TL1x (IMO) is the most musical and natural sounding of the lot followed by the Forsell but the Forsell has some dependability issues which the CEC doesn't!

david

PS. The digital link is just as important as the transport and the DAC!

Dear David, Do you find the CEC TL1X to sound more natural than later CEC transport models?

Have you auditioned the PS Audio Directstream transport which, I think, holds the bits in a buffer before reclocking them out to a DAC?

Have you heard Jack's and Marc's Eera Tentation?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear David, Do you find the CEC TL1X to sound more natural than later CEC transport models?

Have you auditioned the PS Audio Directstream transport which, I think, holds the bits in a buffer before reclocking them out to a DAC?

Have you heard Jack's and Marc's Eera Tentation?

Dear Ron,
TL-0 is CEC's top and best transport, PS A's buffer has a smoothing effect on the sound and depending on the system this might sound right or homogenized and colored. Never even heard of the ET.

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
David, I know cd is as far from your fave format as you can get, but in my humble opinion the Eera Tentation does something totally magical.
I would recommend anyone with a cd collection that wants to hear them approach an analog sensibility, approach Albert Von Schweikert in US or Cor Dekker in NL and arrange a demo.
You won't be disappointed at all.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Ron,
TL-0 is CEC's top and best transport, PS A's buffer has a smoothing effect on the sound and depending on the system this might sound right or homogenized and colored. Never even heard of the ET.

david

Thank you, David.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
I forgot to update that finally, I have two transports. One is the Aqua La Diva and I also took the risk to take in my friend’s Forsell.

Totally agree with you, transport all the way.

I got a working Theta Data Basic and will wait for its arrival by end of this month. I will ask my friend who happened to be a technician to replace the CDM 9 Pro of Forsell.

Once the Forsell is up and running, I will compare the two..

Ferrox, you don't have to convince me.
Cdp all the way.
My possible move to streamer/dac will be ALONGSIDE, NOT INSTEAD OF my cdp.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Finally..my Forsell is up and running..it's so smooth..all digital glare disappeared..I can listen to it until morning..my gosh! The ambience, air, sound stage, I should say, spooky..

I found a seller who owns 2 sets of hydraulic arms..it is not used in VW but for general used. I got that info from a Thai friend who used to work for VW so many years back. He even sent me the link of the seller on eBay.
USD 57 / pc if I am not mistaken.

However, after spending 24 hours with Forsell..I really don't see why I need this arm anymore. My local and super skillful technician found the culprit of why so many Forsell out in the market has reliability issues. Forsell used the Philips motherboard inside, they're old and outdated. Some capacitors leaked, resistors dried. That causes incorrect supply of electric current to the IC servo. Thus, the reading capability of CDM 9 Pro optic is deteriorating.

With so much effort for the past few months, I now have 2 working and very mint condition of Philips CDM 9 Pro..with two Philips servo board and motherboard. In other word, this Forsell will be singing for a very long time here..So glad I spent those efforts to get me here. :)

No need to look for it - the Forsell is compatible with RC5 Philips. Any cheap programmable multi device remote, Marantz and hundreds of models are compatible with it - even Audio Research or Quad!

The hydraulic arm is an automobile part - it is not easy to locate, but inexpensive. I think it was used by Volkswagen. Be careful when using it without the hydraulic lift - dropping it violently can damage the motor and spindle. The laser system of the CDM9 Pro is also compatible with other Philips mechanisms, the most critical part is the motor.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing