Transport to Spin Red book CD's

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
1. The Forsell Air Reference is very good transport, spacious, nice warm sounding - but perhaps a tube DAC needs more detail and slam. Do nor get the first versions - the mk3 was the one to own.

2. CEC TLX-1 - great treble, delicate and airy. Deep, articulate bass. Could sound lean in some DACs.

3. Metronome Kalista/Calypso - an exceptional transport. Unique scale and dynamics, makes digital flow. Very natural sounding.

Unfortunately I never listened to a GG, please take it as a general comment.

I have just got the mk3. The seller is looking for the remote control because without that, it's impossible to play anything and according to him, the laser lens pickup also need replacement. The hydraulic arm is not working properly. Cross my fingers, everything will be OK one day. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have just got the mk3. The seller is looking for the remote control because without that, it's impossible to play anything and according to him, the laser lens pickup also need replacement. The hydraulic arm is not working properly. Cross my fingers, everything will be OK one day. :)

No need to look for it - the Forsell is compatible with RC5 Philips. Any cheap programmable multi device remote, Marantz and hundreds of models are compatible with it - even Audio Research or Quad!

The hydraulic arm is an automobile part - it is not easy to locate, but inexpensive. I think it was used by Volkswagen. Be careful when using it without the hydraulic lift - dropping it violently can damage the motor and spindle. The laser system of the CDM9 Pro is also compatible with other Philips mechanisms, the most critical part is the motor.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
No need to look for it - the Forsell is compatible with RC5 Philips. Any cheap programmable multi device remote, Marantz and hundreds of models are compatible with it - even Audio Research or Quad!

The hydraulic arm is an automobile part - it is not easy to locate, but inexpensive. I think it was used by Volkswagen. Be careful when using it without the hydraulic lift - dropping it violently can damage the motor and spindle. The laser system of the CDM9 Pro is also compatible with other Philips mechanisms, the most critical part is the motor.

Thanks a lottttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. :)

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia

By the way..I am novice..without the original remote control, how will the universal remote learn it from? Just point it at the sensor on the Forsell on the right side of the display?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
By the way..I am novice..without the original remote control, how will the universal remote learn it from? Just point it at the sensor on the Forsell on the right side of the display?

Most programmable remotes are already programmed and have lists of codes that you can insert - choose a Philips CD code. If you get a Philips remote it should be the default.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Hello ferrox,

It looks like you found a spinner for your situation and I congratulate you. I too find that a good CD transport can best a good streamer and freely admit that being an AURALiC dealer. If you end up wanting to go a different route later on, I would like to suggest to you the North Star Design Magnifico. It is a new model that has not yet made it on their website, but it is a pure redbook transport. What sets it apart is that it upsamples the redbook up to 384 khz and also to multiple samples of DSD. This is able to be changed on the fly with the remote.

Good luck with the Forsell!

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Hello ferrox,

It looks like you found a spinner for your situation and I congratulate you. I too find that a good CD transport can best a good streamer and freely admit that being an AURALiC dealer. If you end up wanting to go a different route later on, I would like to suggest to you the North Star Design Magnifico. It is a new model that has not yet made it on their website, but it is a pure redbook transport. What sets it apart is that it upsamples the redbook up to 384 khz and also to multiple samples of DSD. This is able to be changed on the fly with the remote.

Thanks!!! Last night, I plugged in the power cord, the pump is working but the display is off. I guess..it's still a very long way to gooooo. :(

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Great news then..my other friend offered me his Philips rc which he doesn't use. :)

Just get any Philips or Marantz remote from ebay. You can get one for $10

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello ferrox,

Northstar going into a Cessaro processor (dac, DRC, pre) sounded better than the Bergmann+Madake+Thrax Phono in the Cessaro room, with the Cessaro active cone speakers, at Munich. Comparisons were done only at the show, so limited, using LP recordings I knew, but a CD I did not (though I knew the piece well having watched Ann Sophie Mutter perform Tchaikovsky's Violin concerto two weeks before that)

Does the Northstar upsample and output upsampled DSD also to non-NS dacs? Or does it output only PCM to them?

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Just get any Philips or Marantz remote from ebay. You can get one for $10

I guess I have to return the Forsell because one of my friend, who knows about audio repair, came and have a look. He opened the top case and look inside, everything is fine. But when he tried to look inside the CDM 9 Pro, he found out, the servo that control motor drive, doesn't work. The laser lens pick up moved up and down which means, it still a good lens. The problem lies with the servo. It's hard to repair the controlling part because motor doesn't spindle the disc.

Can anyone give me some hints or guidance? My friend has another CDM 9 Pro transport which has been dead for several years because he couldn't find the spare parts.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I guess I have to return the Forsell because one of my friend, who knows about audio repair, came and have a look. He opened the top case and look inside, everything is fine. But when he tried to look inside the CDM 9 Pro, he found out, the servo that control motor drive, doesn't work. The laser lens pick up moved up and down which means, it still a good lens. The problem lies with the servo. It's hard to repair the controlling part because motor doesn't spindle the disc.

Can anyone give me some hints or guidance? My friend has another CDM 9 Pro transport which has been dead for several years because he couldn't find the spare parts.

No, probably if the lens moved it means that the servo lens is working and the mechanism is not completely dead, but nothing else can be guessed without further tests. A pity you live so far, I would suggest shipping it to my technician, who has large experience with Philips mechanisms.
Can I ask how much did you pay for the Forsell?

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Hello ferrox,

I searched North Star Design Magnifico..it seems, the DSD output only applicable via i2S output? My Lampi GG doesn't support i2S input. :(

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
No, probably if the lens moved it means that the servo lens is working and the mechanism is not completely dead, but nothing else can be guessed without further tests. A pity you live so far, I would suggest shipping it to my technician, who has large experience with Philips mechanisms.

It's around Euro 1500.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It's around Euro 1500.

Nice price. Here I would buy an used working CD player with a CD9Pro mechanism and put it working again. Is it a genuine mk3 or an upgraded version?

Google just found this auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/152539349751?rmvSB=true. But it risky without being sure it is just the servo board.

Edit: Probably it is not worth the effort. But having listened to thousands of CDs of great music in a Forsell mk1, mk2 and mk3 I have a strong connection with the flat cookie machine!

Last edited:

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia

It's pretty heavy and I alone can not lift the unit. I always get another pair of hand to help with. It doesn't have the original packaging so, that would be the second problem. I really love this Forsell..too bad, my friend told me, the servo board might be the problem and it's very difficult to find its replacement in the market. :(

I wish I could be convinced to ship it to your technician though. :)

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Northstar going into a Cessaro processor (dac, DRC, pre) sounded better than the Bergmann+Madake+Thrax Phono in the Cessaro room, with the Cessaro active cone speakers, at Munich. Comparisons were done only at the show, so limited, using LP recordings I knew, but a CD I did not (though I knew the piece well having watched Ann Sophie Mutter perform Tchaikovsky's Violin concerto two weeks before that)

Does the Northstar upsample and output upsampled DSD also to non-NS dacs? Or does it output only PCM to them?

As long as it has i2s, the Magnifico will send the signal.

I searched North Star Design Magnifico..it seems, the DSD output only applicable via i2S output? My Lampi GG doesn't support i2S input. :(

Yes, the DSD upsampling requires an i2s connection.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
One of the reason I went back to spinning disk is because my friend borrowed me his Flatfish to play for a few months. Honestly speaking, the sound has soul compared to Auralic.

I owned and enjoyed a Forsell transport maybe 20 years ago. I used it with the Forsell dac, the Spectral dac and the Entec dac. My preamps were the Spectral DMC 20 series 1 and series 2. Power amps were a pair of Forsell Statements and speakers were the big Entec ribbons. All wiring were MIT.

The sound was spookily dimensional, spacious, startlingly dynamic, and balanced through the entire frequency range. However, every piece of music sounded very airy. I could always here the air that floated the cd. This was a very enjoyable effect but over time, I got tired of hearing all this air. There was also the occasional problem of the transport not being able to read the cd.

Personally, I love the flatfish. I still own two of them. There is a thread somewhere here where one of our members, muralman, blogs his experience using the flatfish.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing