Schroder LT magnesium arm tube upgrade!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I have had this arm for over three years now. Really had no complaints, but when Steve Dobbins told me he had an upgrade for it that I had to hear, it peaked my interest. After a few months I decided to go for it, and I am glad I did. The upgrade involves replacing the wood arm tube with a forged magnesium arm tube with a ceramic coating in my case. You can also get it with a clear urethane finish if you like. It also has a Teflon sleeve inside the arm tube for additional damping. Another change is the vertical axis bearing is upgraded as well.

The magnesium version has been in my system for a couple of months now. Been really busy lately, but finally have more time to listen and enjoy. This arm is quite a bit more resolving now. The noise floor has dropped a notch or two. Usually when you change something there is some sort of drawback but I don't hear any with this upgrade.

I will add photos when I figure out how.:) Getting an error when uploading for some reason.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
the Schroder is the only tonearm that I have any interest in after I bought the Thales Simplicity II. the pivoted linear design in superb and it seems to work without a hitch.

The wood tonearm always left a small bit of doubt for some reason. I am sure the magnesium arm tube upgrade must be a great upgrade. And I see you use a technic motor as well - nice setup indeed.

Yes, we need pictures.

Last edited:

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Congratulations Sean on having your LT upgraded to the Magnesium arm tube. Steve brought one for me to hear to compare to my LT arm with the wooden arm tube. I agree with you that I could not hear any drawback to the arm at all - just positive sonic improvements in resolution, speed, high end sparkle and better textures. I purchased that arm and had him upgrade my LT arm to the magnesium arm tube version.
Arnie

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Congratulations Sean on having your LT upgraded to the Magnesium arm tube. Steve brought one for me to hear to compare to my LT arm with the wooden arm tube. I agree with you that I could not hear any drawback to the arm at all - just positive sonic improvements in resolution, speed, high end sparkle and better textures. I purchased that arm and had him upgrade my LT arm to the magnesium arm tube version.
Arnie

Thanks Arnie. I did not get to do a direct comparison like you did. Even so, it was quite obviously an improvement. The fact that you had the old arm upgraded as well, speaks volumes.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
the Schroder is the only tonearm that I have any interest in after I bought the Thales Simplicity II. the pivoted linear design in superb and it seems to work without a hitch.

The wood tonearm always left a small bit of doubt for some reason. I am sure the magnesium arm tube upgrade must be a great upgrade. And I see you use a technic motor as well - nice setup indeed.

Yes, we need pictures.

Hi XV-1, The Thales Simplicity II is an interesting arm. I heard the first version at RMAF years ago. The sound was good. I would like to hear the newest version though.

You have quite the collection of turntables. Which table is the Simplicity II on?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi XV-1, The Thales Simplicity II is an interesting arm. I heard the first version at RMAF years ago. The sound was good. I would like to hear the newest version though.

You have quite the collection of turntables. Which table is the Simplicity II on?

Hi Shaun

I do like the old Japanese DD tables. The Simplicity II is normally on the TW Acustik, but I bought a Technics SP10 mk3 recently in the technics plinth to try the Simplicity on the Technics. I managed to do that a couple of weeks ago. Sounds great.

cheers

35165280846_d6b45204de_h.jpg

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Hi Shaun

I do like the old Japanese DD tables. The Simplicity II is normally on the TW Acustik, but I bought a Technics SP10 mk3 recently in the technics plinth to try the Simplicity on the Technics. I managed to do that a couple of weeks ago. Sounds great.

cheers

View attachment 33375

Nice! I heard the original Thales arm at a show as well. I don't remember what cartridge it was using but remember it sounding very good. At the time I wanted one but it would not fit on my turntable due to it's design. It needed to be mounted very close to the platter which is a no go for the Technics.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Arnie

Hello Arnie,

What cartridge are using on your Schroder LT?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have had this arm for over three years now. Really had no complaints, but when Steve Dobbins told me he had an upgrade for it that I had to hear, it peaked my interest. After a few months I decided to go for it, and I am glad I did. The upgrade involves replacing the wood arm tube with a forged magnesium arm tube with a ceramic coating in my case. You can also get it with a clear urethane finish if you like. It also has a Teflon sleeve inside the arm tube for additional damping. Another change is the vertical axis bearing is upgraded as well.

The magnesium version has been in my system for a couple of months now. Been really busy lately, but finally have more time to listen and enjoy. This arm is quite a bit more resolving now. The noise floor has dropped a notch or two. Usually when you change something there is some sort of drawback but I don't hear any with this upgrade.

I will add photos when I figure out how.:) Getting an error when uploading for some reason.

Hello Sean,

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hello Sean,

His forum details have it - colibri. So both of them are direct drive with Schroeder LT. Technics and the Kodo. That's how I would end up if I had the money.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do both of you have this silver or copper wired? And the cost includes the wire running directly to the phono?

How easy is it to replace and armwand of an existing arm?

arnies

May 10, 2010
Austin, TX
Hello Arnie,

Hi Ron,

I have 2 of the Schroeder LT arms, both with the Magnesium arm tube. One was a new one from scratch with the Magnesium arm tube and the second one is my original LT arm with wooden arm tube that has since been upgraded to the Magnesium arm tube version by Steve Dobbins. Both of my arms use the silver tonearm wiring. On one of my arms I use the Lyra Etna SL cartridge and the other arm has the Lyra Olympos SL cartridge.

Arnie

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Arnie!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In actual use what are the sonic pros and cons of the copper versus the silver tonearm wire?

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
What are the pros / cons of the wood .vs. magnesium arm tubes? Subjective based on cart used?

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
In actual use what are the sonic pros and cons of the copper versus the silver tonearm wire?
Hi Ron,

I ordered my LT with silver wire. Have not heard one with copper wire yet.

When I had Reed tonearms I had the silver wire option as well. Never had a chance to do a comparison of wire with the Reed arms either.

Steve Dobbins would be the guy to talk to about that. He was a Reed dealer in the past and is still manufacturing the Schroder LT in the US. He has heard most of the different versions of Reed tonearms, and of course the LT as well. His website is xactaudio.com.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
What are the pros / cons of the wood .vs. magnesium arm tubes? Subjective based on cart used?
Hi John,

It has been 4 years since I did the upgrade to magnesium. I also did not get to do a direct comparison like Arnie did. I cannot really add much to what I wrote in my first post. Maybe Arnie can add some info?

I can say I am still enjoying the arm, and I do not really feel the need to find something better. I am using a VDH Crimson Stradivarius on it now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing