Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schroder LT magnesium arm tube upgrade!

Post Schroder LT magnesium arm tube upgrade!

I have had this arm for over three years now. Really had no complaints, but when Steve Dobbins told me he had an upgrade for it that I had to hear, it peaked my interest. After a few months I decided to go for it, and I am glad I did. The upgrade involves replacing the wood arm tube with a forged magnesium arm tube with a ceramic coating in my case. You can also get it with a clear urethane finish if you like. It also has a Teflon sleeve inside the arm tube for additional damping. Another change is the vertical axis bearing is upgraded as well.

The magnesium version has been in my system for a couple of months now. Been really busy lately, but finally have more time to listen and enjoy. This arm is quite a bit more resolving now. The noise floor has dropped a notch or two. Usually when you change something there is some sort of drawback but I don't hear any with this upgrade.

I will add photos when I figure out how. Getting an error when uploading for some reason.
    Last edited by audioarcher; 06-09-2017 at 07:53 PM.

the Schroder is the only tonearm that I have any interest in after I bought the Thales Simplicity II. the pivoted linear design in superb and it seems to work without a hitch.

The wood tonearm always left a small bit of doubt for some reason. I am sure the magnesium arm tube upgrade must be a great upgrade. And I see you use a technic motor as well - nice setup indeed.

Yes, we need pictures.
    Last edited by XV-1; 06-09-2017 at 07:38 PM.
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3 & P10, Technics SL-1000MK3D, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Pics

Name:  IMG_0837.JPG
Views: 320
Size:  1.78 MBName:  IMG_0836.JPG
Views: 324
Size:  1.73 MBName:  IMG_0835.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  1.73 MBName:  IMG_0834.JPG
Views: 321
Size:  1.67 MB

Congratulations Sean on having your LT upgraded to the Magnesium arm tube. Steve brought one for me to hear to compare to my LT arm with the wooden arm tube. I agree with you that I could not hear any drawback to the arm at all - just positive sonic improvements in resolution, speed, high end sparkle and better textures. I purchased that arm and had him upgrade my LT arm to the magnesium arm tube version.
    Arnie

Quote Originally Posted by arnies View Post
    Congratulations Sean on having your LT upgraded to the Magnesium arm tube. Steve brought one for me to hear to compare to my LT arm with the wooden arm tube. I agree with you that I could not hear any drawback to the arm at all - just positive sonic improvements in resolution, speed, high end sparkle and better textures. I purchased that arm and had him upgrade my LT arm to the magnesium arm tube version.
    Arnie
    Thanks Arnie. I did not get to do a direct comparison like you did. Even so, it was quite obviously an improvement. The fact that you had the old arm upgraded as well, speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    the Schroder is the only tonearm that I have any interest in after I bought the Thales Simplicity II. the pivoted linear design in superb and it seems to work without a hitch.

The wood tonearm always left a small bit of doubt for some reason. I am sure the magnesium arm tube upgrade must be a great upgrade. And I see you use a technic motor as well - nice setup indeed.

Yes, we need pictures.
    Hi XV-1, The Thales Simplicity II is an interesting arm. I heard the first version at RMAF years ago. The sound was good. I would like to hear the newest version though.

You have quite the collection of turntables. Which table is the Simplicity II on?

Quote Originally Posted by audioarcher View Post
    Hi XV-1, The Thales Simplicity II is an interesting arm. I heard the first version at RMAF years ago. The sound was good. I would like to hear the newest version though.

You have quite the collection of turntables. Which table is the Simplicity II on?
    Hi Shaun

I do like the old Japanese DD tables. The Simplicity II is normally on the TW Acustik, but I bought a Technics SP10 mk3 recently in the technics plinth to try the Simplicity on the Technics. I managed to do that a couple of weeks ago. Sounds great.

cheers

Name:  35165280846_d6b45204de_h.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  310.1 KB
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3 & P10, Technics SL-1000MK3D, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas, Etna SL, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Hi Shaun

I do like the old Japanese DD tables. The Simplicity II is normally on the TW Acustik, but I bought a Technics SP10 mk3 recently in the technics plinth to try the Simplicity on the Technics. I managed to do that a couple of weeks ago. Sounds great.

cheers

Name:  35165280846_d6b45204de_h.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  310.1 KB
    Nice! I heard the original Thales arm at a show as well. I don't remember what cartridge it was using but remember it sounding very good. At the time I wanted one but it would not fit on my turntable due to it's design. It needed to be mounted very close to the platter which is a no go for the Technics.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arnies View Post
    Arnie
    Hello Arnie,

What cartridge are using on your Schroder LT?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Benz-Micro LP S; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse; amplifier: VTL Siegfried II; speakers: Gryphon Pendragons; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audioarcher View Post
    I have had this arm for over three years now. Really had no complaints, but when Steve Dobbins told me he had an upgrade for it that I had to hear, it peaked my interest. After a few months I decided to go for it, and I am glad I did. The upgrade involves replacing the wood arm tube with a forged magnesium arm tube with a ceramic coating in my case. You can also get it with a clear urethane finish if you like. It also has a Teflon sleeve inside the arm tube for additional damping. Another change is the vertical axis bearing is upgraded as well.

The magnesium version has been in my system for a couple of months now. Been really busy lately, but finally have more time to listen and enjoy. This arm is quite a bit more resolving now. The noise floor has dropped a notch or two. Usually when you change something there is some sort of drawback but I don't hear any with this upgrade.

I will add photos when I figure out how. Getting an error when uploading for some reason.
    Hello Sean,

What cartridge are using on your Schroder LT?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Benz-Micro LP S; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse; amplifier: VTL Siegfried II; speakers: Gryphon Pendragons; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast