How do you test Audio Cables?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
The most common method is to live with a pair for sometime then swap out for the new one test and then go back to the original.

When you can test SBS for interconnects or Speaker cables does anyone put one cable on one channel and the other brand on the other?

Any other methods anyone uses for testing?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I always test complete looms of the same model and brand - speaker and all IC's. It has a secondary positive effect - it reduces a lot the time I spend in this boring exercise, sometimes it is not easy to get complete looms ...

Although sometimes I swap with short interval, I never consider that I have listened unless I have a full week to listen.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I always do an A-B-A as you described. I have never put different cables on one channel than the other

I have tried this method recently, but I am not seeing anyone subscribing to using this type of testing. Clearly with the right track you should be able to hear clear differences between one channel and the other for an on the spot test. So it had me thinking of other ways people test their cabling.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I always test complete looms of the same model and brand - speaker and all IC's. It has a secondary positive effect - it reduces a lot the time I spend in this boring exercise, sometimes it is not easy to get complete looms ...

Although sometimes I swap with short interval, I never consider that I have listened unless I have a full week to listen.

Yes this would be difficult as you go up the lineup. However I see the value in doing so as a whole

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If trying with 2 different cables (one left - one right), I would think the output needs to be identical in order for an accurate comparison to be made. Does this mean MONO? I've never tried it, but it sounds like an interesting exercise.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Testing development cables we put them in the system and pretty much tried to forget they were in. Then just play as normal, over time, sometimes short sometimes longer, the differences became apparent. I would never try two cable types/brands/topologies in L/R channels, that is just confusing.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
For me, being able to listen to precisely the same music with the same bias to my left and right ears would be critical, so I would never want to test different cables for each channel. That is even more important given I am mainly a classical music listener - the first violins are traditionally left channel based and that is my "acid test" above all others - how a cable handles mass violins. Only if it passes that test am I going to judge it on anything else such as timing, imaging and the ability to convey the sense of the original performing space overall. Apart from anything else, I hear differently in each of my ears - not just because each ear has very slightly different sensitivity thresholds (measured via audiometry), but also the shape of my head and outer ear are very slightly different on each side and that makes a difference as well to the way I would perceive sound in a room.

But for me, there was was test conducted a few years ago now by a German audio magazine, where they used a large number of different interconnects in an analogue setup and recorded the analogue output digitally at 24/96. So they ended up with a large number of comparative 24/96 recordings, with the only variable in the setup being the analogue interconnect. They also made a "reference" recording using "jumpers" that were very thick solid copper from memory (as in the thickness of a pinkie finger and around one inch long).

After I listened to all those files, the sobering reality was how much even the top cables tested "lost out" compared to the straight jumpers. Nevertheless, I was able to rank the cables in the order I liked. Then came the cost - the one I liked the most (Wireworld Platinum Reference) was out of my price range, but the Wireworld Gold Reference wasn't (just). I took a punt and then ordered that cable from a dealer I have known for a decade and have been a regular customer. But I loved the cable. There was never any danger of me returning it. I still use it and never have any intention of swapping it for anything else (except a better Wireworld!).

But I have actually used the above technique (trying a cable in a system and recording the output digitally) for other types of cable too, such as mains (power) cables. Although it obviously will not give you an accurate "end result" in terms of how the cable will ultimately perform in a "target" system, it still does firstly convey the essence of a cable's character. But I also do this to facilitate the more fundamental ABX test. I will ABX the digital output recordings to make sure I really can tell a difference and I'm not suffering placebo or nocebo effects.

Mind you, I am "done" with cables now anyway simply because of the cost. Depending on how much degradation a cable brings to the table, the costs can be horrendous. As I say, I am a Wireworld fan because to me they take the least away from the music whilst still being relatively affordable high end products at the top of their range. But as we all know, you can spend as much on a cable as you might a car.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
FF, Wirewold uses UPOCC silver in their top end cables, it's hard to do better.

I don't think the L/R using different cables would work well as the soundstage is one of the key things to listen for when comparing anything.

I'd recommend a quick A/B using ~30 sec cuts of tracks involving strings, vocals, piano, etc. which have complex timbre and you've probably heard IRL many times. You can also use cuts that test low bass or has bass that starts and stops abruptly like a synth squarewave bassline, or tests high frequency extension and clarity, has lots of very dynamic content and slam, etc... Without practice you'll only be able to "remember" 1-2 30 sec cuts, so don't exceed that. With practice you might get to the point you can remember more cuts but start with 1 or 2.

Then go for longer listening sessions to determine if there are any issues that you missed short-term. With experience you'll be able to pick up on these things immediately but without so much experience it can take a long time to reveal their weaknesses. Specifically, look out for accentuated leading edges as this sounds exciting at first but is ultimately fatiguing. Grain can make things seem more detailed but again, it actually detracts from hearing authentic detail. Warmth can sound nice and cozy but ultimately is a wet blanket over everything and can seriously handicap your system.

Like anything comparing cables is a skill that can be developed.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
You could perform the test for Shield cable induced noise or have a tech do it for you and the results between the cables will show which cable should sound better. No high end magazines run this test....it's not that complicated and it should be done.

http://www.rane.com/note166.html

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) But for me, there was was test conducted a few years ago now by a German audio magazine, where they used a large number of different interconnects in an analogue setup and recorded the analogue output digitally at 24/96. So they ended up with a large number of comparative 24/96 recordings, with the only variable in the setup being the analogue interconnect. They also made a "reference" recording using "jumpers" that were very thick solid copper from memory (as in the thickness of a pinkie finger and around one inch long).(...)

I have some doubts on this methodology - what was the exact system, including digital recorder, that was being used for this test? If bits are systematically changed by cables in a recording we would have real proof that cables sound different!

The sound of a cable is due to the complex interaction with a complex and particular system, IMHO they mainly studied the interaction between the cables and the digital recording system, that would probably affect the sound more than the cables.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
You could perform the test for Shield cable induced noise or have a tech do it for you and the results between the cables will show which cable should sound better. No high end magazines run this test....it's not that complicated and it should be done.
http://www.rane.com/note166.html
Shield Current Induced Noise is a problem for long XLR balanced interconnects & microphone cables (where long can be up to 300 feet). It's a problem for pros when doing live sound and recordings in venues that have a lot of electrical noise and interference. Not so much of a problem for short XLR cables in residences.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
When doing your cable tests, have a friend attach the cables, cover them with a towel and leave. If you know what cables you are listening to, well then you're just wheel spinning.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
I have some doubts on this methodology - what was the exact system, including digital recorder, that was being used for this test?

The test was covered here:

http://www.wireworldaudio.com/reviews/CableSurvey_2014.pdf

Whilst the Wireword Platinum Reference was not strictly one of the cables under test, they still produced a music file with the Platinum Reference (as well as the jumpers) to provide a reference for the other cables. I only wish they had done a test with classical orchestral and not just popular, since my listening experience with classical in terms of knowing how to listen and what to listen for is far greater than it is for popular.

I am not sure if the files themselves are available any more as the test was done several years ago now.Ironically, Wireworld gave the magazine their cable comparator and the latest generation of their Eclipse Reference with the intention of showcasing how good it was relative to the other cables on the test, but I actually remember being quite disappointed when I listened to the output file of that cable compared to the jumper and Platinum Reference files. Mind you, I was disappointed with the "sound" of every cable they tested apart from the Platinum Reference. It was then I decided to make what turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made in a audio and took a punt on a Wireworld Gold Reference, knowing that the RCA connectors were still going to be of inferior quality to those of the excellent "sounding" Platinum Reference.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Testing development cables we put them in the system and pretty much tried to forget they were in. Then just play as normal, over time, sometimes short sometimes longer, the differences became apparent. I would never try two cable types/brands/topologies in L/R channels, that is just confusing.

I use the balance control on the preamp to go from left to right. Makes for an interesting on the spot A/B

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I always do an A-B-A as you described. I have never put different cables on one channel than the other

I'm with Steve. A-B-A as a rule is useful, but you really need to make sure you have accounted for adequate break-in time for each cable to achieve its maximum performance. So mid-long term listening is generally in order unless break-in is very quick.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I always do an A-B-A as you described. I have never put different cables on one channel than the other[/QUOTE

+1 I do believe we tend to overthink things when comparing gear... live with a loom for a while, swap it out and live with it while it settles in, play a range of genres over a matter of time and then eventually swap back out and see if your initial thoughts on the differences are confirmed. Patience is always the key to better understanding.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The most common method is to live with a pair for sometime then swap out for the new one test and then go back to the original.

When you can test SBS for interconnects or Speaker cables does anyone put one cable on one channel and the other brand on the other?

Any other methods anyone uses for testing?

Get someone to swap them without telling you which is which (single blind). Then do A-B-A without know which is A or B but of course the friend will know. Listen as long as you want with each. The one you prefer this way is likely the one you should go with regardless of the cost (you hope of course the cheaper one sounds better ;-). If you can tell by looking from the listening position then put some kind of shielding to prevent knowing. Don't worry, you will hear the differences...despite what some on this forum think.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Shield Current Induced Noise is a problem for long XLR balanced interconnects & microphone cables (where long can be up to 300 feet). It's a problem for pros when doing live sound and recordings in venues that have a lot of electrical noise and interference. Not so much of a problem for short XLR cables in residences.

Not my experience.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing