Grateful Dead Live at Cornell 1977

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Cornell-5-8-77-CD-cover.jpg

Easily the best sounding live recording I've heard on vinyl. Do yourselves a favor and pick this up!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It's sold out at dead.net. eBay most likely now.

Or you can get the 24/192 files (from which the LP's were cut; in this case I know it is the exact same mastering, unlike a number of other new albums) of just Cornell or 4 shows (5/5, 5/7, 5/8 and 5/9) from dead.net at the "store". Cornell (5/8) is not necessarily the best of these 4 shows, and the price for all 4 is just a little more than twice that for Cornell alone.

For those who care, it was recorded from a custom mix (not the PA mix) direct to 2-track onto a Nagra IV-S at 7.5 ips using professional dbx. Jamie Howarth's Plangent Process was then used for wow/flutter and pitch correction.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Or you can get the 24/192 files (from which the LP's were cut; in this case I know it is the exact same mastering, unlike a number of other new albums) of just Cornell or 4 shows (5/5, 5/7, 5/8 and 5/9) from dead.net at the "store". Cornell (5/8) is not necessarily the best of these 4 shows, and the price for all 4 is just a little more than twice that for Cornell alone.

For those who care, it was recorded from a custom mix (not the PA mix) direct to 2-track onto a Nagra IV-S at 7.5 ips using professional dbx. Jamie Howarth's Plangent Process was then used for wow/flutter and pitch correction.

What fun is that when you spin vinyl ? I also have the 24/192 files of the 4 nights.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
What fun is that when you spin vinyl ? I also have the 24/192 files of the 4 nights.

Sure, but I never enjoyed spinning LP's (PITA), and still don't. Regardless, if one is looking for the best sound, all the additional electrical and mechanical processes necessary to manufacture and play an LP from those files can't be good.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I thought this was fabulous even off Tidal, and the CDs are pretty damn good too.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
For those of you who do not know about this- there is a new series on Amazon called "Long Strange Trip" which is a 4 hour documentary about the Dead first shown at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2017. I'm hooked at 2 hours in. It is, in a word, superb and is the best thing I have ever seen on the Dead. Martin Scorsese is one of the exec producers and some of the band member's children are also involved in the production. The music selections, particularly the jams as the credits roll at the end, are exceptional takes. This documentary crystallized why they were, for me, the most influential and relevant rock band of my youth. They say you can't go back again but with this documentary, I can get pretty damn close.

One thing that I learned and loved was why, at Woodstock, although we have seen footage of virtually every act that played, we have not really seen footage of the Dead. The reason is that the film crew that Warner Brothers hired started to film their performance, but the Dead laced their drinks with LSD and therefore in the middle of their assignment, they couldn't finish what they started. What they did film is hysterical and there's even a moment captured where Jerry is telling them that "it's OK. You have to take some time to learn how to function while you're on LSD". Amazing footage.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Footage of the Dead at Woodstock is on youtube, and selections also in the expanded Bluray concert film on the bonus discs. Not a lot, though, it is true.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
For those of you who do not know about this- there is a new series on Amazon called "Long Strange Trip" which is a 4 hour documentary about the Dead first shown at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2017. I'm hooked at 2 hours in. It is, in a word, superb and is the best thing I have ever seen on the Dead. Martin Scorsese is one of the exec producers and some of the band member's children are also involved in the production. The music selections, particularly the jams as the credits roll at the end, are exceptional takes. This documentary crystallized why they were, for me, the most influential and relevant rock band of my youth. They say you can't go back again but with this documentary, I can get pretty damn close.

One thing that I learned and loved was why, at Woodstock, although we have seen footage of virtually every act that played, we have not really seen footage of the Dead. The reason is that the film crew that Warner Brothers hired started to film their performance, but the Dead laced their drinks with LSD and therefore in the middle of their assignment, they couldn't finish what they started. What they did film is hysterical and there's even a moment captured where Jerry is telling them that "it's OK. You have to take some time to learn how to function while you're on LSD". Amazing footage.

It was awesome. During the "Taper's" portion of the documentary I make a cameo appearance. I am the tall guy looking happily up at my mics with a beer in my hand...Madison Square Garden Sept. 1991 nine show run...I saw them over 200 times and taped most of them. Here's a capture...lol

Attachments

• taper4.jpg
    taper4.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 37

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing