Basis Audio is Alive and Well! -- Los Angeles Audio Show 2017

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Randy Cooley, purveyor of a highly customized and personal level of service from his Optimal Enchantment in Santa Monica, California, was, as usual, master of ceremonies in this room. Each year Randy uses a Basis Audio turntable and tonearm, Vandersteen speakers and Audio Research electronics, and each year Randy produces fantastic sound. 2017 was no exception!

IMG_0161.JPG

This year marks Randy’s and Richard Vandersteen’s first demo room without A.J. Conti, respected and beloved founder of Basis Audio, who passed away last year. At the back of the room Randy displayed a photo of A.J., in tribute to and in remembrance of A.J.’s decades of contribution to advancing the art of vinyl playback. I think Randy was hoping that somehow A.J. was watching from above all of the audiophile visitors once again enjoying great music reproduced by Basis Audio’s latest products.

IMG_0159.JPG

I was delighted to see that Basis Audio is continuing A.J.’s legacy and manufacturing existing products as well as new products. Randy was debuting a brand new Basis Audio turntable: the Transcendence.

IMG_0149.JPG

The Transcendence is a significant departure from A.J.’s. fundamental use of acrylic in his turntables. Both the Inspiration and the Work of Art employed acrylic plinths and platters. (For many years Michael Fremer has questioned A.J.’s extensive use of acrylic.) So it is interesting that the last design on which A.J. was working is an all-steel turntable with, seemingly, no acrylic anywhere in sight. This brand new turntable was fitted with the top-of-the-line Basis Audio Superarm tonearm.

IMG_0151.JPG

Randy was demonstrating the Vandersteen Seven Mk. II driven by Vandersteen liquid-cooled M7-HPA monoblock amplifiers, with matching subwoofers. Randy also was showing the new top-of-the-line HRS rack. The sound produced by this system was one of the very most natural and musical I heard anywhere at the show!

IMG_0153.JPG

It is great to see that Basis Audio is not only surviving the passing of A.J., but is also releasing brand new, state-of-the-art, turntables. A.J. would be proud.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes; see above.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Excellent photos and commentary, Ron. That turntable is gorgeous. Are you possibly considering it for your own system? Do you know the price? It looks to be isolated by the four corner supports and the HRS shelf and rack. I've always like Basis tables and have fond memories of meeting AJ at his shop and getting a tour of his latest designs. He was a very nice guy.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This was the first room that I visited at the show. Randy is always a gracious host and was kind enough to play my Joe Pass LP. Unfortunately, I always feel the Vandersteen's are a weak part of Randy's system, and this time was no different. The new Basis looked great and was a surprise to me, as I always assume that Basis TT's utilize a lot of acrylic. Randy also always brings a lot of very good vinyl and I think he chooses what he plays wisely.

Last edited:

thekong

May 10, 2012
Wow, this new Basis is gorgeous!

I still remember visiting Optimal Enchantment in the mid 80’s, and the system had always sounded really great!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
DDK disagrees, but I think this new Transcendence looks a lot like a contemporary version of David's American Sound turntable.

thekong

May 10, 2012
DDK disagrees, but I think this new Transcendence looks a lot like a contemporary version of David's American Sound turntable.

Personally, I think the Transcendence looks like a beautified version of the J C Verdier Platine instead :D

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Wow, this new Basis is gorgeous!

I still remember visiting Optimal Enchantment in the mid 80’s, and the system had always sounded really great!

Yes late 70's even up the Stairs to the Loft!;)

BruceD

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
+++++1

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

I agree, it does!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Ive seen and heard the American Sound Ron and in fairness this one doesn't look anywhere close to David's TAS which IIRC weighs over 500 lbs

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Ive seen and heard the American Sound Ron and in fairness this one doesn't look anywhere close to David's TAS which IIRC weighs over 500 lbs

I agree with Ron's characterization of a 'contemporary version'. He did not claim that they looked identical, or even close to identical. Just like the 2005 Ford Mustang was a (imo successful) throwback to the original design (a 'contemporary version' of it) but didn't look anything like the 1964 version in absolute terms.

Only that in this case the newer version was much heavier ;)

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn

Looks more like a Palmer or a Siman Yorke TT than the American Sound.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Personally, I think the Transcendence looks like a beautified version of the J C Verdier Platine instead :D

I actually thought it was the latest from JC Verdier when I walked into the room.

Also I have to agree with Keith, the Vandy room was exceptional this year.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing