Feb 26, 2014
London
The apogee grands will be ten times the focal on electronica

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Would they last though?

I seem to remember the other issue was they require multiple power amps....can you refresh me Ked?

Alain was convinced that
a) you guys were correct about the sound of Apogees being exactly what i was looking for, and that
b) I'd kill them within a week, or a month at the longest

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
I wanted to tell you of my experience in Munich last year in the Zellaton room. I had always wanted to hear them, and they did not disappoint on any measure. I visited the room three times during the three days This room and speakers were a standout even though the speakers on display were one level below the Statements. The speakers sounded electrostatic fast but with totally integrated sound due to all of the drivers using the same technology. The second time visiting the room they were playing German Techno music. It clearly did now sound like a Strauss Waltz. The person who they were doing the demo for wanted it loud. Those speakers got up and rocked with no distortion and did it fast and sounded like a single driver. I quickly took out my iPhone which has the "Decibels" app and it measured 98-99db consistantly. IT was loud and not straining the speaker or the amplifier. It was impressive. Many speakers when they get loud, loose the sound, but the speakers were very composed and loud. So if you have any doubt about producing loud music put yourself at ease. I think part of the secret is that all of the drivers use the same cones. I never realized how important that is to a consistent sound.

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
I think part of the secret is that all of the drivers use the same cones. I never realized how important that is to a consistent sound.

THIS!!!
And all of them loaded equally, no closed mid & tweeter + bass reflex for woofer as usual, but a large aperiodic vent for all the drivers, something that also makes lots of sense when searching for a coherent sound.

EDIT: the only thing that I truly dislike is that they cross the tweeter overly high, at 7khz from what I could read, I understand that such a high crossover point makes the tweeter play with less IM distortion, which sounds more relaxed and correct, but the polar response between 2khz and 7khz probably sucks, I would like to see it crossed at 1.8-2khz to the 7' mid, that would probably be awesome. Also, typically a 1.6 inch cone is much more robust than the typical 1 inch dome tweeter, so IM distortion would be low too compared to the vast majority of speakers out there.
I would put an 11' woofer instead of 9', and why not, a resistorless full Duelund Cast Cu-Sn crossover (they make the drivers themselves so no problem matching sensitivities on the drivers instead of correcting it later) and 8 ohm impedace...that would be a dream, endgame loudspeaker, no doubt (with the Zellaton Stage form factor, 3 way with 3 drivers).

Last edited:

earlinarizona

Jul 17, 2010
After being overwelmed with the sheer number of VERY good systems in Munich, the Zellatons stood out. Maybe an 11" woofer would make it not sound as quick and less defined. Ir was noticable with many of the systems that had large woofers how the sound seemed to loose definition in the bottom end and speed so maybe Zellaton had a reason to size the woofer that way. When they played some opera music I could not hear any edgeness or metalic sound so that got that range right too. Many of the high end horn system had that metalic sound but keep in mind a few sounded great. I think since there cabinets "Breath" with the open back, that can also be contributing to the sound I heard.

Last edited:

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
I wanted to tell you of my experience in Munich last year in the Zellaton room. I had always wanted to hear them, and they did not disappoint on any measure. I visited the room three times during the three days This room and speakers were a standout even though the speakers on display were one level below the Statements. The speakers sounded electrostatic fast but with totally integrated sound due to all of the drivers using the same technology. The second time visiting the room they were playing German Techno music. It clearly did now sound like a Strauss Waltz. The person who they were doing the demo for wanted it loud. Those speakers got up and rocked with no distortion and did it fast and sounded like a single driver. I quickly took out my iPhone which has the "Decibels" app and it measured 98-99db consistantly. IT was loud and not straining the speaker or the amplifier. It was impressive. Many speakers when they get loud, loose the sound, but the speakers were very composed and loud. So if you have any doubt about producing loud music put yourself at ease. I think part of the secret is that all of the drivers use the same cones. I never realized how important that is to a consistent sound.

I can only agree with the words above.

I heard a couple of my favorite hi res recordings at the show played on zellatons. Stunning.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The show sound at Munich was quite poor compared to what you will hear at audio arts in NY

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
@earlinarizona A bigger woofer is more resolving and relaxed sounding because it has to move air much less violently than a smaller one, thus less distortion and better sound, this is a fact (of course, we're talking about two woofers of the same quality and construction). Anything smaller than 7' is a midrange for me.
What you heard are the suboptimal room conditions dealing with the larger air displacement of the bigger woofers, also the woofers have to be good and an optimum cabinet is mandatory, so probably a combination of those factors. If conditions are optimal (woofer quality, good cabinet, decent room) bigger is always better.

I certainly would love to hear the Zellaton Stages, a truly interesting pair of speakers, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carlos269

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
@earlinarizona A bigger woofer is more resolving and relaxed sounding because it has to move air much less violently than a smaller one, thus less distortion and better sound, this is a fact (of course, we're talking about two woofers of the same quality and construction). Anything smaller than 7' is a midrange for me.
What you heard are the suboptimal room conditions dealing with the larger air displacement of the bigger woofers, also the woofers have to be good and an optimum cabinet is mandatory, so probably a combination of those factors. If conditions are optimal (woofer quality, good cabinet, decent room) bigger is always better.

Which is why I own two pairs of these 15s. One pair will go in each speaker to give 110 db from 500 Hz downwards. On under 5w

Attachments

• 2369C083-8C3B-43C5-8CF8-2980A5ACAA38.jpeg
    2369C083-8C3B-43C5-8CF8-2980A5ACAA38.jpeg
    484.5 KB · Views: 14

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
You're building your own speakers?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Would they last though?

I seem to remember the other issue was they require multiple power amps....can you refresh me Ked?

Alain was convinced that
a) you guys were correct about the sound of Apogees being exactly what i was looking for, and that
b) I'd kill them within a week, or a month at the longest

They're thinking about normal Apogees. Steel Apogees with composite clamps of the size of Full Range would almost certainly blow your mind and they will take a pounding and do decent volume levels.

I listen to electronica via mere custom built Duettas and I think they are absolutely brilliant with it. It's my fave genre. But the trouble is they won't play at 120 DB. 95 DB is more like it for Duettas playing electronica

Whatever though it is irrelevant you won't have the balls to go for it.

TBH I feel systems capable of excelling with electronica are a rare breed in hi-fi.

Given I have been into electronica since New Order released the original Blue Monday and have been into hi-fi for ever since I was a young kid of about 8 years old (my brother's system), I reckon irrespective of money;

JBL 4367. Brilliant. With a problem. They're too small. I'd get 4 of them and get a custom built frame made to hold one upside down on top of the other.

Bohne. Half Apogee, half 18 inch JBL bass drivers. Plus 2 18 inch Bohne subs. That will fuck you up big styleee. At Munich 2018 that was the best system I have ever heard playing electronica loud at Munich in quite a few years of going.

Trios and bass horns. They do do it well.

Wilson's don't do too badly as they really will play staggeringly loud and hold it together.

Suspect you already have an opinion on Wilson and Trios, though.

Best VFM the first two options by a long shot assuming decent Wilson's and subs.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Thank you for posting

It might be useful to demonstrate what i mean by 'bass':)

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
They're thinking about normal Apogees. Steel Apogees with composite clamps of the size of Full Range would almost certainly blow your mind and they will take a pounding and do decent volume levels.

I listen to electronica via mere custom built Duettas and I think they are absolutely brilliant with it. It's my fave genre. But the trouble is they won't play at 120 DB. 95 DB is more like it for Duettas playing electronica

Whatever though it is irrelevant you won't have the balls to go for it.

TBH I feel systems capable of excelling with electronica are a rare breed in hi-fi.

Given I have been into electronica since New Order released the original Blue Monday and have been into hi-fi for ever since I was a young kid of about 8 years old (my brother's system), I reckon irrespective of money;

JBL 4367. Brilliant. With a problem. They're too small. I'd get 4 of them and get a custom built frame made to hold one upside down on top of the other.

Bohne. Half Apogee, half 18 inch JBL bass drivers. Plus 2 18 inch Bohne subs. That will fuck you up big styleee. At Munich 2018 that was the best system I have ever heard playing electronica loud at Munich in quite a few years of going.

Trios and bass horns. They do do it well.

Wilson's don't do too badly as they really will play staggeringly loud and hold it together.

Suspect you already have an opinion on Wilson and Trios, though.

Best VFM the first two options by a long shot assuming decent Wilson's and subs.

Au contraire, i was persuaded by you guys that the Apogee Grands would have the ability to do what I'm looking for, but they require a higher ceiling than either my current home or the one in Spain i have my eye on. And they need multiple power amps, and I'm currently paying for a 2160, a pair of those would be a stretch

I did take note of your previous re Bohne, and started getting mildly excited about them.
But then Shakti got some in and he was underwhelmed, and advised me to stick with my Stellas.
It does bare mentioning that i adore my Focals, they can go toe to toe with any of the options you suggest when it comes to electronica, i don't think Wilson or Jbl would give me anything i don't already have, Apogees sound more promising as it would take a dipole to get me out of my Utopias
Tbh I'm not currently engaged in actively looking at speakers, other audio purchases have higher priorities atm....this is quite an old thread ?
But i was asked why i didn't proceed with Zellatons, the answer is that in the light of comments from those with experience plus the review i was less motivated to pursue them.
So the whole thing is on a back burner, i may just bide my time until i can find the right pair of Nolas, or afford to commission a new pair of the CGRG plus subs

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bohne is a toy. Apogee grands are different.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Save me the trouble of digging through a whole thread....is it two or three stereo amps they need?

I was leaning towards a house in the lake district that had an attached barn that would have been ideal for the Grands
I may yet have to build a dedicated listening room when i move, in which case they will leap back into contention

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Bohne is a toy. Apogee grands are different.

I know for a fact you never heard that Bohne system Ked. And electronica is NOT a subject you know about. Classical totally, but electronica, no.

I've also met Shakti and spoken with him a couple of times. He had smaller Bohne nowhere near the Municb set up. I disagree quite strongly. That system was ace. I spent a long time listening to it.

BTW Zellatons are indeed very good. They just don't have the balls to do what 4 18 inch modded JBL drivers will do. Although the top model.may have a decent stab I've never heard it try with electronica, though I have heard it more than once.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I know for a fact you never heard that Bohne system Ked. And electronica is NOT a subject you know about. Classical totally, but electronica, no.

I've also met Shakti and spoken with him a couple of times. He had smaller Bohne nowhere near the Municb set up. I disagree quite strongly. That system was ace. I spent a long time listening to it.

BTW Zellatons are indeed very good. They just don't have the balls to do what 4 18 inch modded JBL drivers will do. Although the top model.may have a decent stab I've never heard it try with electronica, though I have heard it more than once.

Sorry those BB 18 look small. And I know for a fact you never heard the grands:). Btw I already said Zellaton for classical and jazz, not what he is looking for, read above where I said JV is quite fair in whom it will appeal to and its restrictions. Also you have never heard the Zellaton either, that Munich room is not it

Last edited:

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Sorry those BB 18 look small. And I know for a fact you never heard the grands:). Btw I already said Zellaton for classical and jazz, not what he is looking for, read above where I said JV is quite fair in whom it will appeal to and its restrictions. Also you have never heard the Zellaton either, that Munich room is not it

Fight, fight, fight, LOL.

Hey I am advocating Apogees, not writing them off. Grand are fairly irrelevant, though. There aren't many in existence and I m sure no restorer would try and build some from scratch these days.

Four 18 inch drivers were throwing huge scale in the room they were in, which was huge. Massive bass. Immense.

I'd love to know where all these speakers magically transform into something massively different outside of the shows. The truth is the vast majority don't.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fight, fight, fight, LOL.

Hey I am advocating Apogees, not writing them off. Grand are fairly irrelevant, though. There aren't many in existence and I m sure no restorer would try and build some from scratch these days.

Four 18 inch drivers were throwing huge scale in the room they were in, which was huge. Massive bass. Immense.

I'd love to know where all these speakers magically transform into something massively different outside of the shows. The truth is the vast majority don't.

4 18s is good. I thought it was one. You might be smarter than your postings

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing