Votes: 18 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 60.9%

• Total voters

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Last year I did try rap/hip-hop, and in fact made quite an investment in it. We went to see the Broadway show "Hamilton" because people know that I like Broadway and musicals and they all said I would love it. I was leery about it, but we and another couple went for it at about $1034 per ticket (unconscionable) --and there were other tickets twice that price! I couldn't stand it. I wanted to leave but we were with another couple, so the best I could do was try to fall asleep.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I put Rap into a sub-category of Rock, which came from the Blues, and I like all three.

Anyway, like all rock, there are good performers and bad performers, along with good songs and bad songs. To me, Rap has the attitude of early rock, which seems to be missing now, and that attitude adds energy to the performance.

Coincidentally, I just finished added two more Nicki Minaj CDs to various rock playlists on my music server, and will spend the rest of Friday night drinking beer, and listening to R&R. :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This is not Hip-Hop/Rap music, this is Electronica Deep House Music:

It's disco beach summertime surfing music; martini music, bikini music, suntan lotion music, ...

Ron, is it more what you had in mind when you started this thread; disco DJ music?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Happiness is where you find it. If this kid can find happiness in rap with 125 fractures, I sure as heck do the same when it is right. And this is right:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hip Hop and Rap music is awesome. But, just like Diana Krall in Jazz, don't judge all the genre from some crappy examples.

If you don't like this track, you don't like music :D However some may call Massive attack Trip Hop. Buy the album on vinyl and the production is better than any audiophile recording.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Much of what's been posted isn't hip hop. Massive Attack isn't even close, I like them and have seen them in concert, it's just NOT hip hop.

Violence/drugs/misogyny is most often portrayed in "Gangsta Rap" and a huge majority is horrible imo.

Interestingly, the best hip hop album of all time is arguably "Deltron 3030", which is a dystopian Sci Fi Hip Hop Opera:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deltron_3030_(album)

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Much of what's been posted isn't hip hop. Massive Attack isn't even close, I like them and have seen them in concert, it's just NOT hip hop.QUOTE]

I did make the distinction that it's trip hop :)

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I listened to 3 Deltron 3030 songs on You Tube and they were quite good. Thanks for the recommendation.

My impression of rap was formed in the early Gangsta Rap days and I was not a fan. The genre has developed in different directions since then.

Guess its time to explore a little more.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you don't like this track, you don't like music :D
I like music. :) It is pretty nice. One cultural note though: the synthesizer drum loop that is at the heart of this music and a lot of what is popular in Britain, fell out of favor in US back in 1980s. While I still enjoy it when it is not overdone (and it is not here), a lot of Americans don't care for it.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I like music. :) It is pretty nice. One cultural note though: the synthesizer drum loop that is at the heart of this music and a lot of what is popular in Britain, fell out of favor in US back in 1980s. While I still enjoy it when it is not overdone (and it is not here), a lot of Americans don't care for it.

I'd be surprised if that's the version xv-1 meant to post....the album version is far superior, the version posted is a sub standard remix by a dj.
The original isn't available on youtube....I know because I tried to post it last night.
As xv-1 said, buy the album ' Heligoland' and you won't regret it

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'd be surprised if that's the version xv-1 meant to post....the album version is far superior, the version posted is a sub standard remix by a dj.
The original isn't available on youtube....I know because I tried to post it last night.
As xv-1 said, buy the album ' Heligoland' and you won't regret it
Ah, looks like it is on Hope Sandovol's album:

You are right that it doesn't have synthesizer loop and does sound much nicer. But is this hip-hop of any kind?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
No that's trip hop again :)

This is more hip than trip...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
No that's trip hop again :)
I heard that but still don't understand any relation to hop. So I looked it up on Wiki:

"Trip hop (sometimes called "downtempo"[3]) is a musical genre that originated in the early 1990s in the United Kingdom, especially Bristol.[4] It has been described as "a fusion of hip hop and electronica until neither genre is recognizable,"[5] and may incorporate a variety of styles, including funk, dub, soul, psychedelia, R&B, and house, as well as other forms of electronic music.[6] Trip hop can be highly experimental.[6]"

Neither genre is indeed recognizable. :)

My stance is that I don't judge a book by its cover. If the music is fun to listen to, I will. There is no genre name that says I won't like it.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I heard that but still don't understand any relation to hop. So I looked it up on Wiki:

"Trip hop (sometimes called "downtempo"[3]) is a musical genre that originated in the early 1990s in the United Kingdom, especially Bristol.[4] It has been described as "a fusion of hip hop and electronica until neither genre is recognizable,"[5] and may incorporate a variety of styles, including funk, dub, soul, psychedelia, R&B, and house, as well as other forms of electronic music.[6] Trip hop can be highly experimental.[6]"

Neither genre is indeed recognizable. :)

My stance is that I don't judge a book by its cover. If the music is fun to listen to, I will. There is no genre name that says I won't like it.

Yes I had a go at defining it in post #34

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I put Rap into a sub-category of Rock, which came from the Blues, and I like all three.

Anyway, like all rock, there are good performers and bad performers, along with good songs and bad songs. To me, Rap has the attitude of early rock, which seems to be missing now, and that attitude adds energy to the performance.

Coincidentally, I just finished added two more Nicki Minaj CDs to various rock playlists on my music server, and will spend the rest of Friday night drinking beer, and listening to R&R. :)

I'm not sure there will be much agreement that hip hop is a form of rock music. Rock and roll is seen these days as the music of the white establishment, hip hop is the music of street level counterculture

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Much of what's been posted isn't hip hop. Massive Attack isn't even close, I like them and have seen them in concert, it's just NOT hip hop.

Violence/drugs/misogyny is most often portrayed in "Gangsta Rap" and a huge majority is horrible imo.

Interestingly, the best hip hop album of all time is arguably "Deltron 3030", which is a dystopian Sci Fi Hip Hop Opera:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deltron_3030_(album)

You are very right; most of the music videos/stuff posted here (including Massive Attack) is NOT Hip-Hop/RAP music. It's "electronica/disco/new-age/sensory beat tempo" music. ...Fabricated sounds from drum machines and sound cards. It has not much "vitamins" and musical intellectual artistic creativity in it. It has almost zero human soul, my opinion, some sounds pretty good for the senses, with repetitive beats and good dancing disco stuff with colorful drinks.

But hi-hop/rap music it ain't. And it's true that some rap music is gangsta music...with guns, pimps, high heel shoes and a big snobbish ego, ...power trip.
Anything goes to make a buck with the kids. But it ain't making a buck in this neck of the hood. "Yo man, on the program" :b

* We can go real deep in this music genre and get all the branches from the trees in the forests. But RAP (Hip-Hop) music is wiki documented...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapping
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop_music

The origins of Rap and how it developed in the world is not quite the same as the origin of say classical music.
An orchestra with 77 musicians and a maestro conductor with a baton in a grand music theater hall compared to a DJ spinning two turntables in reverse with a sound effect board in a discotheque club don't have much in common when it comes to sound resonances. It's a question of preference for the ears and soul I guess. Rap uses vocals a lot, classical music almost none (exception are the opera singers).

Music, soft music smooth music enveloping music impacting music...lifts us up above the clouds and flows gently/harmoniously with our mood.
Hip-hop music doesn't flow my mood much @ all.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
You are very right; most of the music videos/stuff posted here (including Massive Attack) is NOT Hip-Hop/RAP music. It's "electronica/disco/new-age/sensory beat tempo" music. ...Fabricated sounds from drum machines and sound cards. It has not much "vitamins" and musical intellectual artistic creativity in it. It has almost zero human soul

I'm sorry but that's just drivel.
I accept that you prefer a dying genre predominately written by artists who have been dead for more than150 years with no contemporary relevance.
It is clear that you don't understand or respect vast swathes of modern music...or those that perform it, and your criticism will be read in that context.
Which makes your attempt to define and marginalise the genre as relevant as my own views on the sort of easy listening preferred by your generation, ie of no use to anyone other than to publicly confirm your prejudices

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I am an inferior human being with an inferior grasp on music and people making it.
Don't pay attention to my opinion, it has zero merit, it should be discarded, and I should be banned for life from living on planet earth.

I am retarded and I don't understand the exact same as everyone else understand. I have zero respect for anything violent, zero, music included.
I am a young child without experience and I cannot express with words what I mean; I let others decide for me...it's best that way.

Peace, :b

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Hang on a minute...You've spent most of this thread trying to marginalise the music and lifestyle of others, and as soon as you are called on it you collapse into self pity?
And why do you keep posting links to bad music...what are you trying to prove?

All genres have their complete stinkers....no one has said 'all hip hop is brilliant'

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...The origins of Rap and how it developed in the world is not quite the same as the origin of say classical music.
An orchestra with 77 musicians and a maestro conductor with a baton in a grand music theater hall compared to a DJ spinning two turntables in reverse with a sound effect board in a discotheque club don't have much in common when it comes to sound resonances. It's a question of preference for the ears and soul I guess. Rap uses vocals a lot, classical music almost none (exception are the opera singers).

Music, soft music smooth music enveloping music impacting music...lifts us up above the clouds and flows gently/harmoniously with our mood.
Hip-hop music doesn't flow my mood much @ all.

One of the things that Guru from Jazzmatazz Vol. 1 says is expressly that hip hop/rap started from 2 turntables and a microphone. That is the point. Practically no resources but some basics and imagination to bring rhythm, beats, vocals (with rhythm, aka rap). Not dissimilar at all from the street performers in NYC who bring a pair of drumsticks and 10 different sized plastic buckets and pans to create their 'show' on the pavement, with loads of complex rhythms, drum beats...there is a reason the really good ones have crowds of people listening, taking pictures and throwing in money to show their appreciation. Its because the drummer took 'nothing' and made something rhythmic and fun out of it.

also not dissimilar from how a few plates on the bottom of a pair of shoes can create wonderful, complex tap rhythms. No fan here of the anti-social stuff that sadly has been part of the message of a lot of rap...i totally get the turn-off...but i will say I do enjoy the rhythms that hip hop and rap have created over the years.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing