Votes: 18 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 60.9%

• Total voters

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I always like LL Cool J and Tupac, but that's about it.

I will say Kendrick Lamar has a very different sound and is innovative in the genre.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I agree completely. I have never heard a single hip-hop or rap song I have liked.

With Spotify it is easy to audition recent and current popular hits. I have not been able to find one new or recent Top 40 type song I have liked. (Most of the "Top 40" these days is not identifiable to me as rock or pop or adult contemporary as I understand those genres, but, rather, is hip-hop-ish and rap-ish sounding stuff.)

I think maybe the last "new" song I liked on the radio was Human, by Christina Perri, from 2013.

I'm not sure the top 40 chart is the place to find anything of merit!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I feel your comment has been made in extremely poor taste.

I lack the standing around here to be as honest as you with senior members

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Wasnt rock and jazz classed as music from the spawn of satan a while ago?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
US3 is Acid Jazz, not Rap/HipHop.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Last edited:

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I was in junior high when Dr. Dre came out with the Chronic album. I loved it and then Snoop Dogg released his first album which I still have. I haven't played them in a long time. Over the years, I think I have evolved to appreciate music that sounds better on my system and doesn't have to be censored around my kids. I do love the beats and bass every so often and Tidal has so much of the genre that I don't even know where to begin to look for new artists.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I feel your comment has been made in extremely poor taste.

I lack the standing around here to be as honest as you with senior members

Why? What was it in the comment that was poorly said?

Yes, Gary is a not a shy person about what music he likes and dislikes; I like that.
I can't stand Justin Bieber's music and style and persona, all of it. I don't hate him, I just don't like that type of music.

Cordozar Calvin Broadus, Jr. known professionally as Snoop Dogg, rap singer; he's just not my type, everything around him and what comes out.
Snoopy; he is a chain pot smoker, a sex pervert, a gold chain, ...all that jazz? ;-)

Gary when he mentioned "lifestyle for the lowest common denominators of society"; proper application in the right state-of-mind and context is permissible and acceptable.
Some of those lyrics encourage our youth into decadence and criminal acts of violence in our society. This is one of the lowest of the lowest denominators in the destruction of the human species. IMO Because those people don't use their brain but their guns against everyone they are against to.
I understand they missed the love of their parents when they were kids, and hung up with the wrong crowds growing up; they need our help in telling the truth like it is.
Only them can rehabilitate themselves by looking deeper than their own self-restricted close-up world. It's their own choice @ the end if they use guns instead of brain, if they use violent lyrics instead of smart lyrics, if they promote drugs, money laundry, sex therapists, machine guns, rocket launchers, ...instead of sailing ships, beaches with coconut trees, love and family values, good solid relationships with civilised friends, with their local benevole samaritans.

Words need to be understood in the right positive scientific terms; in the right interpretation, in the right representation. I'm 100% with Gary's words. :b
I know exactly the context used for each and every single one of them; I have zero problemo in understanding perfectly what he meant.
And additionally, I just happened to agree with him. If I wouldn't agree I would say so too. If one doesn't understand the image some words represent I'll do my very best in seeing it very clearly.

Besides, music lovers are peaceful people, they are from a more compassionate species of humans, more equilibrated, more open, more relaxed, more interactive, more universally directional, ...brief we are more exposed to all type of music we love best. Audiophiles have higher musical taste, like classical music, orchestral, operas, chorals, ballet jazz, devil blues, dancing calypso. :b

Rap is fine, when it's not violent, perverted and sexually deficient. ...Smooth rap. Hip-hop, be-pop, ...all smooth hop/up/pop with a good top.

Can someone post a music video or two of some good hip-hop or rap music, please? That way more of us can navigate a similar/common wavelength.
_____

I checked and couldn't find something moving my soul.

This compilation is not violent, but it ain't my bag either:

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Rhetorical question: Is it the depiction of sexual content, violence and/or consumption of drugs that causes us to reject hip-hop and “despise” it, or is it that we prefer our depictions of sexual content, violence and/or consumption of drugs to be more aligned to our own cultural sensibilities in the form of Hollywood films, television shows like Narcos and Game of Thrones, graphic novels and comics, video games and rock, blues and pop music?

Perhaps it’s less that we find hip-hop offensive for the reasons we say we do, and simply for the fact it’s a form of socially-defined cultural reality that a culture other than the one we primarily identify with chooses to express itself through in musical form.

Be well, gents,

853guy

Putting this rhetorically was a gentle and elegant way for 853guy to express his point. I think 853guy asks a fair question. But the only reason he felt compelled to ask this question was to respond to comments which went off the reservation of whether or not we like the music, and why, in the first place.

The Gary and Bob low-life and lowest common denominators type comments drag the discussion out of the musical and into the political and sociological. Gary's and Bob's posts expressing distaste for lyrics they find repulsive is not political, because those comments answer my opening post question, "if not, why not?"

Let's keep this thread purely about the music, please.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Jack, when we visited you you played something which I think you said was "deep house," but which I thought was relatively relaxed electronica or maybe chill techno of some kind. Do you remember? What was that that you played for us?

I normally do not like house of any kind, but I sort of liked that track you played for us.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Jack, when we visited you you played something which I think you said was "deep house," but which I thought was relatively relaxed electronica or maybe chill techno of some kind. Do you remember? What was that that you played for us?

I normally do not like house of any kind, but I sort of liked that track you played for us.

Ron

you forget that Jack is also a great DJ

BTW some of the best music Jack played for us in Manila was every day in his car as we traveled from place to place. Jack has the most eclectic music.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
A brief intro to trip hop

For me this is not music, it's a lifestyle. And the types that are violent in their lyrics and gestures and inciting people to follow those trends, I am all against.
If it's cool like Bob Marley, Reggae music approach, I like it.

Is this the sort of thing you mean?

Trip hop is a collision of dub Reggae and hip hop pioneered by Massive Attack in Bristol, uk.
As the port serving the carribean and americas, Bristol was a hub of the slave trade. One of the leftovers from that time is a vibrant afro Caribbean community and a westward outlook

They began as a group of friends building a sound system to play their favourite tunes on, equal parts Reggae, electro (early hip hop from new york) and punk. This graduated to holding parties, establishing a full on sound system and a record label
(Wild Bunch)

The style is synonymous with big dub bass lines, hip hop rhythms, ethereal melodies and intelligent, twisted lyrics delivered by vocals that flow deftly around and accentuate the intensely musical production. All delivered with ocd-levels levels of attention to detail.
These guys started out as dj's, remember

Next one i was going to play is an incredible collaboration between Kruder and Dorfmeister and Bomb the Bass, with lyrics inspired / derived from the writing of William Burroughs.
However 'bug powder dust' Kruder and Dorfmeister/ bomb the bass has been removed so instead, and coming from the same place of exquisite beauty, here's Mysterion by another product of Bristol, Portishead

Finally something from MothEquals; Wobegone.
This one really gets under your skin

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
There are just too many music videos of rap/hip-hop genre that are too violent and vulgar and extremely insulting and discriminating and just very very very bad influence for the kids in our societies. This is my last post here because there are better music in life to concentrate on than all this demonic crap. It reminds me of some people posting on Twitter and Facebook the murders they committed live, plus the extreme bullying that leads young people to commit suicide. There are cults too who promote hatred thru their rap/crap music.

This is the worst of the worst and I won't post any because this is the exact opposite of what's best (in everything in life included the music we love in peace).
Ambient music I love, avant-garde, electronica (some), psychedelic, new age, ...some western and country, ...

But this ? no way (and it's the lightest of the bunch):

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Is this the sort of thing you mean?

Trip hop is a collision of dub Reggae and hip hop pioneered by Massive Attack in Bristol, uk.
As the port serving the carribean and americas, Bristol was a hub of the slave trade. One of the leftovers from that time is a vibrant afro Caribbean community and a westward outlook

They began as a group of friends building a sound system to play their favourite tunes on, equal parts Reggae, electro (early hip hop from new york) and punk. This graduated to holding parties, establishing a full on sound system and a record label
(Wild Bunch)

The style is synonymous with big dub bass lines, hip hop rhythms, ethereal melodies and intelligent, twisted lyrics delivered by vocals that flow deftly around and accentuate the intensely musical production. All delivered with ocd-levels levels of attention to detail.
These guys started out as dj's, remember

Next one i was going to play is an incredible collaboration between Kruder and Dorfmeister and Bomb the Bass, with lyrics inspired / derived from the writing of William Burroughs.
However 'bug powder dust' Kruder and Dorfmeister/ bomb the bass has been removed so instead, and coming from the same place of exquisite beauty, here's Mysterion by another product of Bristol, Portishead

Finally something from MothEquals; Wobegone.
This one really gets under your skin

Portishead (middle video) I'm a fan, since the very beginning. I use it as part of my sig in some internet sites.
The first video won't play in my country it says. But I do know that band anyway, and they have some good tunes, I don't call hip-hop.

The last video I don't know them, from what I've heard quickly; high distortion of the underground echoes of lost continent. I'll pass, and stick with familiar grounds...Portishead/Massive Attack.

Those are different variations; are they rap/hip-hop music genre? ...Or more like avant-garde pop electronica, heroin atmospherical/spatial music for the bones in our skeletons? Can I fly with some, yes with Massive Attack and Portishead, some.
If you call it hip-hop music then it's the good kind.

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

Oh **** now you've done it
That would be my favourite - currently in its heyday - genre.
Would it have been anything like these?

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

Was it from the minimal, tech side like this

Or the soulful uplifting style like this?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thanks for trying!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I think I crossed the line into
'just having fun'
:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing