• Total voters

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This brings up the next logical question as to how you guys make your coffee, tea, espresso , cappuccino, latte etc

For the past 10 years I have owned three different models of Jura Capresso which is a semi automatic coffee station which also has a hot water spout for making tea. Current model is the Impressa Z9

Here is an image of my current Jura Impressa

f1e08b38a78f2788f4b6e6a0711b275c.jpg

And here it is in operation

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I don't like coffee at all, but my wife has a De'Longhi Eletta Cappuccino ECAM machine which is a pretty amazing device.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I use loose tea in a Brown Betty and a tea strainer. No machines, old school. . My wife uses an enspresso for her lattes.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Started drinking coffee again about a year ago when we got a cool new Keurig machine. I grew up on Sweet Tea and still drink it, like any good Southerner.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I've always assumed that enjoying coffee was an acquired taste, much like Scotch.

When I was a little kid and stayed at my grandparents house, I wanted to have coffee for breakfast like they did. My grandmother would give me coffee which I now presume was mostly milk and sugar. That's how I headed down the coffee path. As a young man I always drank coffee with cream and sugar but now I prefer it black.

Steve Williams

I've always assumed that enjoying coffee was an acquired taste, much like Scotch.

When I was a little kid and stayed at my grandparents house, I wanted to have coffee for breakfast like they did. My grandmother would give me coffee which I now presume was mostly milk and sugar. That's how I headed down the coffee path. As a young man I always drank coffee with cream and sugar but now I prefer it black.

as they he in twin Peaks when asked how he liked his coffee, Kyle McLaughlin said "black as midnight on a moonless night"

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Regarding equipment, I am "semi-ashamed" to admit we use a Keurig machine now - mostly due to convenience.

I've found that making my own pods with French Roast or Espresso roast coffee ground finely produces a palatable cup of coffee while being fully aware its not the best of the best.

Frankly, I am too lazy to futz around with a high end coffee maker every morning.

Steve Williams

have you ever compared the price of a lb of coffee at Starbuck's to a lb of tea at Starbuck's Teavana. It's over 4x the price

I just bought a lb of Passion Tango for $52 whereas the coffee I buy at Starbucks is $12.95

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
If you have the love for coffee...I highly recommend ....needs a quality grinder too.

LM_LineaMini_launch__lineared3q@2x.jpg

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I don't drink either coffee or tea. Usually have a bottle of Propel water with me while listening to music.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Make a pot of black coffee a day. Morning ritual. I'll have hot tea when I don't feel well or out for Asian fare. Ice tea in the summer, brew my own unsweetened. Typically sun brew left out most the day on the deck.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
have you ever compared the price of a lb of coffee at Starbuck's to a lb of tea at Starbuck's Teavana. It's over 4x the price

I just bought a lb of Passion Tango for $52 whereas the coffee I buy at Starbucks is $12.95

That's about right if you consider that a pund of tea will make about 4 times as many cups than a pound of coffee.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I should add that the coffee I use is from local roasters and typically varietals that are light roasted so they don't lose there citrus notes. Every now and then I may be in the mood for a full bodied roast. Not a dark French now, if you check the beans with a halogen at the roaster you will see that the beans are not dry and cracked just a deep brown and still oily. Normal light they look almost black.

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Guys, there is a whole world of tea out there if you know where to look. Anything in a bag is usually low grade red tea produced on a plantation where agro chemicals are used. There is obviously green and black (in the west we call red tea 'black' tea which is a mistake dating back to when tea was first traded between the Brits and the Chinese), red, white, yellow, oolong and Pu-erh. In of itself Pu erh is separated into ripe or raw catagories, the ripe being more processed in an attempt to produce and aged raw flavour. Aged Pu erhs are getting pretty expensive now due to the Pu erh boom among well off Chinese in the east. In Buddhism they say the best way to enjoy tea is in deep meditation. The second best way to enjoy tea is when listening to appropriate music (you can see where I am going with this) and the third best way is with lively conversation, something we do well in the west. Its a bit of a ritual now when I have friends round for a listening session that I serve some nice tea during the day evening. Even the coffee guys who don't normally drink tea enjoy a bowl or two. Another of the Buddhist ways is to try and achieve harmony in life. I am not a Buddhist just to be clear but one of the ways us guys try and achieve that is by listening to wonderful music through wonderful systems! So why not add a wonderful cup/bowl of tea to the occasion, after all it was maybe designed for the task.

Ron, am more than happy to give you any tea tips if you like and would be more than delighted to send you a few sample if your interested.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I like a good dark strong black tea. When I brew it, people often mistake it for coffee when they look at it.

When it comes to coffee, I like a medium roast that I get at Zabars or Fairway. I ask them what has just been roasted in the last day or two. I make it strong--100 grams to a Bloomfield commercial 64 ounce pot. (The usual commercial coffee packs are only 50-55 grams.) I measure my coffee by weight, not volume and as per Alton Brown, I add 1.0 grams of salt (less than 1/4 tsp) to the pot. I brew a full pot of decaf every morning and add a little half and half. I have it hot in the morning and I consume the rest of the pot as iced coffee from the fridge during the day. I do not add ice because then it would get diluted. If I had regular in the morning instead of decaf, my incisions wouldn't be so smooth. (The letgo hospital ab-boost tv commercial comes to mind :D ) At night I have regular because it doesn't keep me awake.

bloomfield. knives, vitamix.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing