MSB Select II arrival

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would worry less about justifying your purchase and focus more on the sound you prefer in your room with your speakers.
Actually, for me hearing from Andy Payor about reliability of the Gryphon, was a HUGE benefit to me. I had only 3 years of experience with one 2nd hand component at that time. By contrast Andy Payor is both a commercial operator, AND a much longer-term user of Gryphon in multiple systems. That kind of experience, i cannot get as a consumer who uses one piece of equipment for years. For me, enjoying my sound is a huge part of it...but so is reliability. And that for me was one of the biggest questions i asked Andy besides of course spending time learning about his Arrakis.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, Dietmar posted a VERY interesting message earlier today and my email notification had the full message in it and looks like Forum admin have indeed deleted it!

I, for one, have not been involved in any deletion of any such post.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Interesting that both Magico and Rockport appear to have CH in their rooms. I have known Rockport and Gryphon (and CJ) for many years, and was intrigued to find they now also have CH in their room. Now to see it at Magico creates further intrigue.

Are you reporting that Andy switched from Gryphon to CH amplifiers?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Are you reporting that Andy switched from Gryphon to CH amplifiers?
No...only that across the many photos of their room, i have only ever seen Gryphon, and a few times CJ from many, many years ago...and only recently this photo of CH. Its not like i have seen lots of photos of their spaces, but probably a dozen or so over the years...and any time i have ever seen an amp it is almost invariably a Gryphon. So i simply find it is interesting that CH is now [literally] in the picture...and of course Arnie (of all-out-assault Arrakis fame) has himself gone from VTL to all-CH.

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Reactions: pleroma

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Following my comment in the very last sentence of my post above regarding the role of fuses in power supplies, here’s a post (#1) from Shunyata’s founder which provides a good reminder and preamble of what a DC power supply is expected to do. What follows after the introduction is a lot of information which is marketing material Shunyata’s products, but the humble fuse is no doubt an integral part of the AC “system” which then cascades into the DC power supply.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/dtcd-explained.16172/#post-293333

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
I replaced the stock fuses in my Select II DAC mono powerbases with the SR Oranges, and here’s my post on the Taiko SGM Extreme forum/thread which likely belongs here instead:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-165#post-640797

Interesting. I just got my mono pb upgrade (MSB working with skeleton crew). When a great DAC improves this much after an upgrade it's almost stunning. I've only listened to some of my pop/jazz, but in that small ensemble setting instruments take on much more individuality, particularly percussion (to this former percussionist's ear).

Reactions: asiufy

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
Have any MSB owners experimented with non-stock DC power cables between the powerbases and DAC?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Have any MSB owners experimented with non-stock DC power cables between the powerbases and DAC?

i did get 6 foot long power umbilical versions from MSB; which sounded the same.

when i was communicating with MSB about those cords they were concerned about the length and whether it would cause any loss of performance. so they have specific spec for them.

pleroma

Jul 7, 2018
i did get 6 foot long power umbilical versions from MSB; which sounded the same.

when i was communicating with MSB about those cords they were concerned about the length and whether it would cause any loss of performance. so they have specific spec for them.

Thanks Mike. I hope all is well with you and family in WA.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011

Interesting...they wouldn't sell me anything longer, said umbilical's longer than the stock ones diminished sonics

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Interesting...they wouldn't sell me anything longer, said umbilical's longer than the stock ones diminished sonics

i did have to push a little. they were skeptical. i listened and could not hear a difference, before i moved the boxes. maybe their measurements told them there was a diminished performance. my agenda was both improved anti-resonance and space management.

there you go.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I heard that Westminister Lab had made some DC cables for MSB users.
https://www.westminsterlab.com/

Not sure if they are for the Select DAC.
If yes, I will borrow them for audition and report here.
;)

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Digital is not my first source, but I can see this is a very sweet price.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
yes; i can unequivocally recommend that exact unit. i could not be happier with mine. just add the MSB USB Pro interface and an Extreme and you are ready to rock. and add an amp and speakers, or even plug a phono stage/and/or/RTR deck into it. it has a great preamp in it.

someone will be very happy they ended up with that. make sure the remainder of the 10 year warranty is fully transferred.

Reactions: Taiko Audio

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: adyc

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Because I have genuine queries and opinions on streaming I need advice on. My analog is settled.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
How good is the Select with renderer going direct in a reference stereo amp vs reference pre + great streamer + 30k DAC like Emm Labs DA2 for example + reference stereo amp ?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
How good is the Select with renderer going direct in a reference stereo amp vs reference pre + great streamer + 30k DAC like Emm Labs DA2 for example + reference stereo amp ?

i can only comment about one side of your question. i have used the MSB Select II with Renderer directly into my dart mono's and it was very close to using my $40k dart preamp. it might even be a matter of preference.

not then directly compared to another dac at the same time, but within the previous 6 months i had 3 separate dacs (Lampi GG 1.5, Aqua Formula, and Nagra HD) in the system with that same preamp, and the Select II direct was better than my recollection of those fine dacs.

if i was starting my system over from scratch right now, my first thought would be digital only MSB Select II/Taiko Extreme server directly into my dart amps. period.

i would be fine with the Renderer using a less performing server until i could swing an Extreme.

i would use the MSB Pro USB interface and not the Renderer, but that issue is splitting hairs. both approaches are fantastic.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing