MSB Select II arrival

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
LMAO. I knew it.

I will probably be doing the same thing. Was actually going to do it last week when I got home but got this bug up my rear about solid state amps and which way to proceed.

Last night pretty much answers my question. It was a revelatory experience. Everything absolutely perfect. It was my real first LONG session letting my GS150 warm up for an hour before listening. Decided to listen to some really big orchestral pieces and 11pm went to 5 in the morning. Just amazing.

So I'm likely joining the dual power base train as well and hopefully can do it while I'm away in MT.

Welcome to MSB mania!!

Howie

:D

+1 on the MSB Mania!!

Howie,

I decided about 10 days ago to order the extra powerbase, and figured you would do that soon, as you had indicated earlier you were leaning that way. been enjoying the firmware upgrade, very subtle change but musical-connection wise, not subtle. I've had some long sessions as well deep diving into some classical stuff that's just beguiling. I'm feeling the embrace of the music with the Select II as it is, can't wait for the extra Powerbase.

I suppose Spirit/Marc will be a little miffed I did not spill the beans a few days ago at his urging, but the process was not yet done then.

cheers,

Mike

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
:D

+1 on the MSB Mania!!

Howie,

I decided about 10 days ago to order the extra powerbase, and figured you would do that soon, as you had indicated earlier you were leaning that way. been enjoying the firmware upgrade, very subtle change but musical-connection wise, not subtle. I've had some long sessions as well deep diving into some classical stuff that's just beguiling. I'm feeling the embrace of the music with the Select II as it is, can't wait for the extra Powerbase.

I suppose Spirit/Marc will be a little miffed I did not spill the beans a few days ago at his urging, but the process was not yet done then.

cheers,

Mike

Mike

I'm very happy for you. I'm glad you are enjoying the Select as much as you are. I have been hooked on MSB digital the first I heard the Analog. For me it all started when looking for alternatives to my EMM DAC 2X, which, as good as it was, was still too "digital" for me. I had gone through a bunch of DACs prior to that one.

My first listen to the Analog was eye opening and of course when I put the IV Plus in the system it was the start of a new paradigm in digital, at least for me. As an old analog guy MSB was much more in tune with my tastes than any DAC I had previous owned or heard.

The Select II is just mind blowing and I fully understand wanting to suck every last drop of it's capabilities out of it. I'm right behind you on line.

Best
Howie

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, not miffed .
But certainly not suprised.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
just ordered the second power supply; called "Two Mono Powerbases". I should have it in-room by month end.

I've placed the order and paid for it. they build one case and two internal sets of circuits; then when that is all ready, I ship my single power supply to the factory in Watsonville, and they assemble the second Mono Powerbase and ship it back to me so there is a minimum turn around time. the big variable is anodizing the new case and how long that takes. got to be perfect.

I'm very excited to hear all the Select II can give, in my own system.

Matej Isak

Jan 20, 2013
EU
www.monoandstereo.com
just ordered the second power supply; called "Two Mono Powerbases". I should have it in-room by month end.

I've placed the order and paid for it. they build one case and two internal sets of circuits; then when that is all ready, I ship my single power supply to the factory in Watsonville, and they assemble the second Mono Powerbase and ship it back to me so there is a minimum turn around time. the big variable is anodizing the new case and how long that takes. got to be perfect.

I'm very excited to hear all the Select II can give, in my own system.

Congrats on the purchase Mike. Really looking forward to hear your impressions...

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Anyone compare a Vivaldi stack vs MSB Select II ?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Yes I saw that

Great picts on that sight

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
That is an impressive headphone system!

and according to the 'letter' his next purchase with be the MSB Select II casework headphone amplifier too, which is not pictured.

"My next upgrade is going to be the Headphone amp for the Stax SR-009’s."

he will then have 4 of those cases sitting there. impressive for sure!!!

his comments on one or two power supplies were also noted by me. his are the only comments I've seen where there was a single and dual power supply version compared directly side by side. he was definitive in his perspective. I've owned his Stax 009 headphones and compared them (in 2012) to my EA MM3 (non-Exact) speaker set-up directly; they got pretty close to that level of information in my system. so a credible data point for me.

Last edited:

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Think you talking about iSquirrel? Think he may be a dealer / installer for MSB so that needs to be considered.

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
Think you talking about iSquirrel? Think he may be a dealer / installer for MSB so that needs to be considered.

To the best of my knowledge, Simon is not an Australian dealer for MSB Technology products but I am.

Congratulations on the Select DAC purchase, Mike. Like you, I am eagerly awaiting the second generation Network Renderer module, albeit for a Reference DAC with the one dual-mono power base.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Easy...well not so much. Just search the Dave thread at head-fi.org. Not so much as its a Monster thread!!!

if there is any specific info please give me a link. i'll go try to find whatever nugget you are referring to. 8980 posts in the Chrod Dave thread.:rolleyes:

OTOH here is a guy posting on the MSB Analog dac thread that discloses that he is an employee of MSB. then below him iSquirrel posts.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/msb-analog-dac-review-p3.613387/page-35#post-12229860

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
just answer the damn question. what are we afraid of?

sigh.

if there is any specific info please give me a link. i'll go try to find whatever nugget you are referring to. 8980 posts in the Chrod Dave thread.:rolleyes:

OTOH here is a guy posting on the MSB Analog dac thread that discloses that he is an employee of MSB. then below him iSquirrel posts.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/msb-analog-dac-review-p3.613387/page-35#post-12229860
???
I did answer your question. From memory I recall Isquirrell journeying thru the Gryphon and after the Dave. We communicated a couple years back. Last I recall he was on the Dave train...but how to find a needle in a haystack? Even if I had a photo memory...that is a monster thread. Better to PM directly if its really so important to find out.

That whole thread is a rave fest.

BTW, my post was a question...

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
???
I did answer your question. From memory I recall Isquirrell journeying thru the Gryphon and after the Dave. We communicated a couple years back. Last I recall he was on the Dave train...but how to find a needle in a haystack? Even if I had a photo memory...that is a monster thread. Better to PM directly if its really so important to find out.

That whole thread is a rave fest.

BTW, my post was a question...

sorry. the credibility of a source, quoted on the product website no less, has been called into question. serious stuff. first astro points the finger, then Luke denies it, then you ???? not sure what you were saying. and if there is some smoking gun out there about Simon/iSquirrel being a shill then let's either be out with it or let's remove the doubt.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing