MSB Select II arrival

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Thanks Howie, good info for sure. I assume no need for the JCAT V2 any more since you'd be CAT5 out to the urendu, correct?

Correct. Good chance I will be selling it along with server and my Core Tech Kaia linear power supply.

Of course now Jesus will be releasing his ultraRendu and with the new renderer for the Select it never ends

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
just spent over 2 hours sampling MQA Masters through Tidal on the MQA equipped MSB Select II.

previous reports about this through the Select II were very positive.

my perception is provisionally quite mixed. I liked the MQA of Neil Young's Harvest a lot, which is where I started. I have a master tape of this one and a very good pressing, and it's a favorite of mine. I was impressed by this MQA master. most of these are 24-192, although the 'Stairway to Heaven' was 24-96 (likely contractual). the more I listened there is a 'processed' aspect to the sound that I started to pick up on like it's been run through a loudness contour and then had it's mids and bass boosted. but I did not stop to grab any regular files to compare. the net effect might be very positive, or it might be something that does not work on a system like mine where it's all laid bare.

I liked the list of music, and so made a play list and just set back and listened.

recalling my 5 hours with redbook yesterday, I'd say that was overall more impressive. but this is just a data point so far. I will revisit this later and do some deeper investigating. most of what I played was analog tape based, and that could be the issue. maybe native digital files might fare better......but I might not have listened to even one.

my intension here is not to throw cold water on MQA. but only that since the previous feedback was in contrast to my session I thought I should bring it up.

at the LA Show I had 2 positive demos of MQA; one in the Wilson room with Peter McGrath off a file on a Meridian dac, and another one from Vince in the MSB room on the Select II from a file. so I need to get deeper into this and discover what is doing what.

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Steve, as I know we have the same Formula Dac, let me share my impressions with the mRendu.
I use it in the NAA mode with Roon / HQplayer. And RoonReady mode, Roon only.

The first is more refined, more silence, but less dynamic than Roon only. This mode seems to add steroids to the sound.
But I am still breaking in the dac, now I have about 200h.
If I get more dynamic in NAA mode, it will be the best choice.

Thanks very much, great input. And I assume removing the mRendu (USB direct from your PC to the Aqua) yields a loss in quality? I'm wondering if it makes sense to sell the SOTM USB card, buy the mRendu and then run in NAA mode.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Thanks very much, great input. And I assume removing the mRendu (USB direct from your PC to the Aqua) yields a loss in quality? I'm wondering if it makes sense to sell the SOTM USB card, buy the mRendu and then run in NAA mode.

The great advantage of mrendu, besides its amazing SQ, is to keep the computer out of the room, isolating noise and whatever it brings in to the sound. So I bought a very powerful computer that is built for games, nothing special in terms of audio, and it is placed in another room of the house. I can control it using my Ipad and VSN software.
The advantage I see in the Ethernet solution for audio is the complete isolation of computer noises.

I never tested my Windows computer directly to the DAC. But I had before a MacBookPro, and there is no comparison with the mrendu.

If you want to go to mrendu, maybe it is worth to wait for the launch of the ultraRendu. It is about to come. Or you can buy an used one while waiting.

To avoid the noise and provide a nice solution to digital music having a computer directly connected to the DAC, leads to very expensive machines like the amazingly good SGM.

Sorry Mike for the OT.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Just a word of "caution". Jesus is soon releasing the "ultraRendu". Not sure of the differences with the microRendu.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
just spent over 2 hours sampling MQA Masters through Tidal on the MQA equipped MSB Select II.

previous reports about this through the Select II were very positive.

my perception is provisionally quite mixed. I liked the MQA of Neil Young's Harvest a lot, which is where I started. I have a master tape of this one and a very good pressing, and it's a favorite of mine. I was impressed by this MQA master. most of these are 24-192, although the 'Stairway to Heaven' was 24-96 (likely contractual). the more I listened there is a 'processed' aspect to the sound that I started to pick up on like it's been run through a loudness contour and then had it's mids and bass boosted. but I did not stop to grab any regular files to compare. the net effect might be very positive, or it might be something that does not work on a system like mine where it's all laid bare.

I liked the list of music, and so made a play list and just set back and listened.

recalling my 5 hours with redbook yesterday, I'd say that was overall more impressive. but this is just a data point so far. I will revisit this later and do some deeper investigating. most of what I played was analog tape based, and that could be the issue. maybe native digital files might fare better......but I might not have listened to even one.

my intension here is not to throw cold water on MQA. but only that since the previous feedback was in contrast to my session I thought I should bring it up.

at the LA Show I had 2 positive demos of MQA; one in the Wilson room with Peter McGrath off a file on a Meridian dac, and another one from Vince in the MSB room on the Select II from a file. so I need to get deeper into this and discover what is doing what.

Mike,

I haven't really been keeping up with the MQA thing but does streaming "MQA Masters" from Tidal do the full "unfold" or do you need an actual MQA encoded file to get the full hardware benefit.

I lost track of this.

Off to the airport. Enjoy the Select II while I try to enjoy what is open of Glacier NP.

Howie

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The great advantage of mrendu, besides its amazing SQ, is to keep the computer out of the room, isolating noise and whatever it brings in to the sound. So I bought a very powerful computer that is built for games, nothing special in terms of audio, and it is placed in another room of the house. I can control it using my Ipad and VSN software.
The advantage I see in the Ethernet solution for audio is the complete isolation of computer noises.

I never tested my Windows computer directly to the DAC. But I had before a MacBookPro, and there is no comparison with the mrendu.

If you want to go to mrendu, maybe it is worth to wait for the launch of the ultraRendu. It is about to come. Or you can buy an used one while waiting.

To avoid the noise and provide a nice solution to digital music having a computer directly connected to the DAC, leads to very expensive machines like the amazingly good SGM.

Sorry Mike for the OT.

no worries. feeding these beasts is very relevant and plenty of SGM talk here too.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

I haven't really been keeping up with the MQA thing but does streaming "MQA Masters" from Tidal do the full "unfold" or do you need an actual MQA encoded file to get the full hardware benefit.

I lost track of this.

Off to the airport. Enjoy the Select II while I try to enjoy what is open of Glacier NP.

Howie

enjoy Glacier!

btw, this morning I tried more MQA and went just with newer digitally sourced recordings and it was better and not as perceivably processed sounding. again; I've not taken the time to compare source files. most of these are not 16-44 anyway so hard to track down various high rez sources.

this will be a long term investigation.....no quick conclusions.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
btw, this morning I tried more MQA and went just with newer digitally sourced recordings and it was better and not as perceivably processed sounding. again; I've not taken the time to compare source files. most of these are not 16-44 anyway so hard to track down various high rez sources.

Great to hear you are enjoying your new gear, always exciting. It will be very interesting to get your final assessment once it's fully broken in and best settings are applied.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Thanks guys for your input, much appreciated. I may wait for the ultra rendu as suggested which sounds like it will be available soon.

Also, I found this video about the MSB select II DAC. That is some, machine chassis + electricals...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6QOcZ7Ijs

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What puzzled me most were the string sections in an orchestra -e.g. Bartok Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta, F. Reiner, JVC XRCD. The direct connection had more detail and air - we can expect it, but also much more three dimensional, although lacking some weight.

Curiously this only happened with the Audio Research REF150SE, all other amplifiers I have used with the Vivaldi (tube or solid state) sounded significantly better with the preamplifier. Did you ever compare the REF150SE with the REF75SE? I have found that 99.99% of the time peak power is bellow 18W - and surely not for more than five minutes.

Just to point that yesterday evening I returned to the REF40 - and although there is less air, it is more what we get in a concert hall or in an auditorium. The dynamics are much more natural with the REF40 inserted in the system. The layering without preamplifier was better, but the direct connection was loosing in part the room acoustics of the recording and its real power. Probably turning to something like Valhalla2 or Odin could when using the preamplifier. I once hosted a full loom of Odin and it was much more revelatory of layering than my current Crystal Dreamline.

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
enjoy Glacier!

For MQA, being a lossy format, you may want to compare it to the master file in order to "discover" differences, rather than 16/44.1 files of dubious provenance. At 2L download site you will find plenty of those. Usually the master track is a PCM DXD file.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
been listening for a few hours, Jazdoc will be here shortly to keep me from levitating.

I removed the rubber stock footers from below the power supply and am using BDR cones on top of the Symposium Svelt Shelf. the dac is using the rubber stock footers into the detents in the case of the power supply.....for my initial listening.

right now using a generic USB cable and an Absolute Fidelity power cord with Furutech NCF plugs. settings on the SGM are 'bit-perfect' through HQ Player.

View attachment 33331 View attachment 33332

WOW!!! I do not attend the forum for a week and you add this truly piece of technological art into your amazing "barn" ?
Congratulations Mike

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Just to point that yesterday evening I returned to the REF40 - and although there is less air, it is more what we get in a concert hall or in an auditorium. The dynamics are much more natural with the REF40 inserted in the system. The layering without preamplifier was better, but the direct connection was loosing in part the room acoustics of the recording and its real power. Probably turning to something like Valhalla2 or Odin could when using the preamplifier. I once hosted a full loom of Odin and it was much more revelatory of layering than my current Crystal Dreamline.

Micro....Forgive me If we have covered my query before, have you tube rolled your REF40 since in your possession?
I have found that replacing the factory power regulators with NOS measuring GE 6550A 's not only improve upon air and layering, they evolve the sound in all criteria with perhaps a caviat in the speed of low base where the Sovtek's might edge it, however the tonal dencity and texture of the GE's is still IMHO an improvement upon the factory valve.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
For MQA, being a lossy format, you may want to compare it to the master file in order to "discover" differences, rather than 16/44.1 files of dubious provenance. At 2L download site you will find plenty of those. Usually the master track is a PCM DXD file.

thank you for that information, I did not know where to look. when I get the chance I will pursue doing that.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Micro....Forgive me If we have covered my query before, have you tube rolled your REF40 since in your possession?
I have found that replacing the factory power regulators with NOS measuring GE 6550A 's not only improve upon air and layering, they evolve the sound in all criteria with perhaps a caviat in the speed of low base where the Sovtek's might edge it, however the tonal dencity and texture of the GE's is still IMHO an improvement upon the factory valve.

I think this comes down to the line stage in the DAC or pre-amplifier. A decent pre-amplifier has a much more powerful power supply and current reserves, so naturally in most cases it is going to add dynamics and weight to the sound. Also in the case of the MSB or any solid state DAC, adding a tube gain stage will change things, and that may suit, or not. The extra device in the chain will loose some plankton and micro detail, it would be unavoidable IMO. My own DAC is maybe bit of an oddball, as essentially an M6 pre-amplifier with a digital board in it. I have tried direct and with an M5 and I preferred direct. But it needs short interconnects and care with a passive (in my case). And the impedance on the power amplifier is also key (has to be at least 50X).

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I think this comes down to the line stage in the DAC or pre-amplifier. A decent pre-amplifier has a much more powerful power supply and current reserves, so naturally in most cases it is going to add dynamics and weight to the sound. Also in the case of the MSB or any solid state DAC, adding a tube gain stage will change things, and that may suit, or not. The extra device in the chain will loose some plankton and micro detail, it would be unavoidable IMO. My own DAC is maybe bit of an oddball, as essentially an M6 pre-amplifier with a digital board in it. I have tried direct and with an M5 and I preferred direct. But it needs short interconnects and care with a passive (in my case). And the impedance on the power amplifier is also key (has to be at least 50X).

in my case, I'm using the newest version of the darTZeel NHB-18NS as a preamp with the MSB Select II. I've not yet tried the Select II 'direct' to my amps. for a number of reasons, I suspect that the dart pre will perform better than direct. first off, i have 8 meter interconnects between my sources and pre and the amplifiers. second, i use the BNC 'zeel' 50 ohm interface between my pre and amps which has advantages over any conventional interconnects and is particularly synergistic in my system. thirdly; my dart pre is battery powered and extremely low noise and the volume attenuator in the dart pre is exceptional.

even with the previous version of the dart pre, the dart pre seemed superior to going direct from a source. 5 years ago i had some very high level headphone gear, including the Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition with it's own volume control, and the Stax 009 electrostatic headphones. i figured it would be better to run my Playback Designs MPS-5 direct into the BHSE......which i did. but then i also tried it into the regular source plugs on the dart pre and out the fixed output of the dart pre. it was not close; the dart pre in the signal path was much better. and this is with likely the most detailed of any headphones....and very short RCA outputs from the dart pre into the BHSE.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
in my case, I'm using the newest version of the darTZeel NHB-18NS as a preamp with the MSB Select II. I've not yet tried the Select II 'direct' to my amps. for a number of reasons, I suspect that the dart pre will perform better than direct. first off, i have 8 meter interconnects between my sources and pre and the amplifiers. second, i use the BNC 'zeel' 50 ohm interface between my pre and amps which has advantages over any conventional interconnects and is particularly synergistic in my system. thirdly; my dart pre is battery powered and extremely low noise and the volume attenuator in the dart pre is exceptional.

even with the previous version of the dart pre, the dart pre seemed superior to going direct from a source. 5 years ago i had some very high level headphone gear, including the Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition with it's own volume control, and the Stax 009 electrostatic headphones. i figured it would be better to run my Playback Designs MPS-5 direct into the BHSE......which i did. but then i also tried it into the regular source plugs on the dart pre and out the fixed output of the dart pre. it was not close; the dart pre in the signal path was much better. and this is with likely the most detailed of any headphones....and very short RCA outputs from the dart pre into the BHSE.

Interesting. Yes the BHSE and 009s is very transparent. I have the 009s and the KGSShv Carbon amp. Maybe the line stage in the Playback Designs MPS-5 was a rather simple stage? I think it is unusual to see a really well thought out line stage in any DAC TBH. Many DACs have simple opp amps for space reasons and cost, some even have switching power supplies (My goodness!). It isn't difficult to get 2V line out, but more costly to do it as good as a top pre-amplifier, which technically it should be really if in the 20K+ range. I think it should be expected really, especially as many users now only have one source. A manufacture of both DACs and Pre-amps would of course, want us to buy both boxes. And I can understand there is little interest in a top line stage in a DAC, most folk are still either not thinking about it as a pre-amplifier with a digital board, more a line level device that 'requires' a pre-amplifier because that is how it always was.

But I bet your Dart is one super pre-amp Mike.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing