MSB Select II arrival

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So Micro, you only choose to listen to good sounding recordings, or you're lucky enough that what you like to listen to, happens to sound good?

The second hypothesis. BTW, when we consider someone's opinions we should consider his musical preferences - I have repeated mine very often in this forum - classical, jazz, ancient music, vocal , mostly non amplified music.

Please note I am not giving away my vinyl - I do no list the Forsell Air Force one in my signature because it is steady in my system!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The second hypothesis. BTW, when we consider someone's opinions we should consider his musical preferences - I have repeated mine very often in this forum - classical, jazz, ancient music, vocal , mostly non amplified music.

Similar here. Some rock and electronica as well, but not a lot.

Most music happens to sound good.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, when you guys happen to listen to more music at the sharp end of poor mastering, brick walling, etc, which I do quite a bit, and find its resolutely poorer on cd than lp, you'll understand more my pro analog comments.
And why to get digital that finally delivers on the promise my best vinyl does is so fantastic for me.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've never heard someone say if only this TT sounded more digital.

I can say the MSB Select/Reference dacs sound analog to even die-hard analog friends. This is not an incremental gain like most digital is. An analog friend was over (I have an Analog Dac + Diamond Power Base) and I asked him how digital sounded - his response "well, its not analog I'll just say that." Quite frankly, I agree. And it's good digital at that (and yes, he's had the Yggy).

I do think it bears mentioning that many modern recordings on LP aren't brickwalled like RB digital (just found this out with Dave Mathews), so I'll agree with Marc that lp still has its place.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have been gone from this Forum for a long time and I have enjoyed reading this thread.
Congrats Howie aka Priaptor and to Mike, whom I don't know, on your new purchases.
I have had the opportunity over the last few weeks to listen to Howie's amazing system and the improvements brought forth by installing such a front end just make you want to listen for endless hours like kids with a new toy.
Enjoy!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Welcome back Elliot. Please provide an update. Are you still a brick and mortar store in S Florida somewhere, or are you more custom and web-based?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Welcome back Elliot. Please provide an update. Are you still a brick and mortar store in S Florida somewhere, or are you more custom and web-based?

Hello Marty, hope you are well. I no longer have a store.
I am going to import and distribute in the US a line of high end speakers and cables 100 percent precision made in Germany.
There will be an announcement in WBF shortly. I am truly excited to finally have found products that I want to market and sell that I represent. I have had very strong feelings about how the dealer/manufacturer relationship's have functioned and have been looking for an opportunity to finally be able to do it my way. I hope to be able to satisfy our customers need with world class products and world class personal attention and service. We will have a Florida showroom later this year.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Elliot,

Look forward to learning about the new venture!

Let me know if Part-Time Audiophile can help.

Lee

Hello Marty, hope you are well. I no longer have a store.
I am going to import and distribute in the US a line of high end speakers and cables 100 percent precision made in Germany.
There will be an announcement in WBF shortly. I am truly excited to finally have found products that I want to market and sell that I represent. I have had very strong feelings about how the dealer/manufacturer relationship's have functioned and have been looking for an opportunity to finally be able to do it my way. I hope to be able to satisfy our customers need with world class products and world class personal attention and service. We will have a Florida showroom later this year.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Has MSB shipped the Roon network input module yet?

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Elliot,

Look forward to learning about the new venture!

Let me know if Part-Time Audiophile can help.

Lee

Thank you Lee,
Let me know how to contact you and perhaps we can find some ways to work together.
Best regards,
Elliot

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Has MSB shipped the Roon network input module yet?

No, not yet. Instead of using an OEM solution for this, like 99% of the companies out there, MSB is doing it from scratch, so it's taking extra time, for QC, etc.
That's the bad news. The good news is that once MSB finalizes their new design, even DAC V owners will be able to upgrade to a Roon/MQA-enabled Renderer.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No, not yet. Instead of using an OEM solution for this, like 99% of the companies out there, MSB is doing it from scratch, so it's taking extra time, for QC, etc. (...)

Well, some companies establish connections and cooperation with other companies that have long and solid experience in these matters and incorporate and perfect their knowledge in their products. Team work, as we say in engineering ...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Well, some companies establish connections and cooperation with other companies that have long and solid experience in these matters and incorporate and perfect their knowledge in their products. Team work, as we say in engineering ...

micro,

Nothing wrong with doing OEM (otherwise the other 99% of the industry wouldn't be doing it). Matter of fact, MSB tried the OEM approach for the new Renderer, and they only decided to start from scratch once they ran through all the options they had, and none where satisfying. Thus, the delay in delivering it.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my perspective is with the MSB modularity approach broadly applied to their product line, changes receive a more robust treatment. and their in-house facilities for hardware changes allows them to take their own approach more confidently. they take the road less traveled, but based on my experience whatever they are doing......please keep doing it.

they have earned the benefit of the doubt from me. and I will gladly wait for the MSB Select II level of Roon-Ethernet renderer.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
micro,

Nothing wrong with doing OEM (otherwise the other 99% of the industry wouldn't be doing it). Matter of fact, MSB tried the OEM approach for the new Renderer, and they only decided to start from scratch once they ran through all the options they had, and none where satisfying. Thus, the delay in delivering it.

I see. Probably MSB could not use the current best existing solutions and knowledge as they need an higher volume and space - the Sellect II modular structure allows only for a few cubic inches for the Network module as shown in their page. Some competitors currently have a full size box for the network interface.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
my perspective is with the MSB modularity approach broadly applied to their product line, changes receive a more robust treatment. and their in-house facilities for hardware changes allows them to take their own approach more confidently. they take the road less traveled, but based on my experience whatever they are doing......please keep doing it.

they have earned the benefit of the doubt from me. and I will gladly wait for the MSB Select II level of Roon-Ethernet renderer.
Agreed on all counts, EXCEPT

we are talking abouyt networking here and its a specific skillset.

Years ago in my HP days, I recall the inkjet people being haughty and refused to take help from the Laserjet guys who had the core competence in networking. Long and short of it was that after about a year of making a hash of it, they had to crawl back to the L-Jet guys with their tails between their legs and beg for help.

Now, times have advanced (an general knowledge with it) and this may not be rocket science anymore, but certainly the OEM guys will have a competence advantage here, so I expect that SIZE is the issue and MSB cant use the OEM solution.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
LOL...this is what we usually call poisoning your friend (in Indonesia audio society). Keep pouring fuel to the flame..

afraid this ship sailed 45 days ago when I ordered the second power supply. got it late August.....and it was a big deal in better performance. it was inevitable for me from the first minute I owned the Select II.

but agree about the 'poisoning'......and Steve is not the only one, although he is big as a poisoner with all the best of intentions. i'd give Spirit/Marc the crown of chief 'poisoner' for me. and I have to give him all the credit for calling me out on the American Sounds turntable.

I think some know each other too well here to be very stealthy. part of having a community.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Totally agree with you Mike..I myself, will not care which sounds best, the vinyl or the digital. As long as when I have my me time, sitting quietly in my sweet spot, letting myself be mesmerized by the music, transported to another place when I don't hold on to something else but the music, that is enough. But if I had two different system, I might be tempted to compare, which one gives me a deeper trance stage. LOL..

why?

things don't work that way. I'm not obsessed with bettering vinyl with digital. it's a fun thing to talk about but not my main thing. and I have no issue discussing it.

I am obsessed with being in love with the music from my digital. and it's fair for anyone to expect that for the exalted price. but somehow suggesting a negative if it does not exceed my vinyl makes a competition more significant than the experience. I am not in that mind set.

if you've read my posts in this thread you will note that my narrative is that the Select II is doing something not exactly top level vinyl, but not exactly digital as we've known it either. and that is where my head is now. is there other digital that can do this same thing or a similar thing? I've not heard that yet.

ferrox

Jun 16, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.primes.asia
Mike, I know at least two persons in Jakarta who purchase more than one set of LP's (same album) just to check which one sounds best. They will mark the best sounding one and play it only. One even bought 3 pieces, two in 33 rpm, one in 45 rpm.
I met so many unique audio guys, usually older than me, who have been in this hobby for so many years and spent their money like they own a money printing machine at home.

So far, you're still very natural and your posts are very informative to follow on. I am glad to know that your new DAC meets your digital expectation. :)

not at all, they are all over the board in their nuance. but they fall short of the top level of analog sourced Lps. so they don't lack, just come up a little short of whole.

and there are quite a few where a digital recording is mastered to tape, where it's part of the way there.

as always; the whole equation of the recording trumps other factors in total musical satisfaction, including our emotional connection to the music.

like comparing direct to disc to tape based. there are generally differences, but the best DTD are another level.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing