Page 77 of 130 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687127 ... LastLast

Thread: MSB Select II arrival

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sbo6 View Post
    Last time I checked this thread was titled, "MSB Select II arrival" = Mike's system. Staying on point and applying whatever reason you may (see Mike's post above) he dumped the Lampizaner for the Formula. Period. Unlike you, I don't get offended when someone critiques a component I own, I'm just pointing out the obvious WRT the OP. That said, I do get system synergy as a factor but I believe it's overrated in many circumstances. Sometimes a component is plain better than it's competition.
    +1...
    Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    +1...
    +2

Blog Entries
    Last time I checked this thread was titled, "MSB Select II arrival" = Mike's system. Staying on point and applying whatever reason you may (see Mike's post above) he dumped the Lampizaner for the Formula. Period. Unlike you, I don't get offended when someone critiques a component I own, I'm just pointing out the obvious WRT the OP. That said, I do get system synergy as a factor but I believe it's overrated in many circumstances. Sometimes a component is plain better than it's competition.
    To start with, last time I checked in 75 pages I made no mention of Lampi compares on this thread, until micro specifically called out my name regarding compares of Lampi with Select 2 in any system, to which I replied, to which you replied, and now you make it Mike's system. You also came out of the woodwork purely to attack me as you always do since I said I preferred the Lampi to Esoteric in three systems. Glad you finally realized what you were listening to and moved away from the Esoteric to the Aqua. Maybe one day you can move to the Lampi. One step at a time. Anyway, I don't want to help you take Mike's thread to the dirt so
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    To start with, last time I checked in 75 pages I made no mention of Lampi compares on this thread, until micro specifically called out my name regarding compares of Lampi with Select 2 in any system, to which I replied, to which you replied, and now you make it Mike's system. You also came out of the woodwork purely to attack me as you always do since I said I preferred the Lampi to Esoteric in three systems. Glad you finally realized what you were listening to and moved away from the Esoteric to the Aqua. Maybe one day you can move to the Lampi. One step at a time. Anyway, I don't want to help you take Mike's thread to the dirt so
    i will tell you a funny story Ked

i saw someone selling a Soulution 560...

And I asked what next..? Lampizator ?!

And his reply was......dont be ridiculous.............I was pretty shocked??!!

I enjoyed Jones99 comparo select2 versus Vivaldi 2
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]
    [I]Monaco tt 1.5 triplanar/Xv1
    Bakoon two box phono; step up Cinemag, Altec, FR, RCA
    Halcro DM 8 running current mode
    Bespoke server Roon and HQplayer at dsd2
    Atomic clock to USB aes interface
    Meitner DA2
    Lamm m1.2 or Goldmund 29M
    Morel Fat Ladies
    Bespoke active crossover 5 Subwoofers
    Sony PSX9 XL55 Bakoon phono
    Pioneer PLL1 DV XV1s Esoteric E03/CO2 as output
    Stealth cabling

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    (...) That said, I do get system synergy as a factor but I believe it's overrated in many circumstances. Sometimes a component is plain better than it's competition.
    Surely some components are much better than others. But when reviewing a particular component, such as cables or top equipment, IMHO most of the time we are just evaluating synergy with the system and also with the room.
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack : cj GAT, Lamm M1.2R, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables ...

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    As Robert Harley's review of the Berkeley Alpha USB interface states:

"As noted, USB was never designed for audio; it is a “packetized data” format in which data are split up into discrete chunks, wrapped up with information about those chunks, transmitted, and then put back together at the receiving end. This is in sharp contrast with the continuous bitstream of digital audio formats such as S/PDIF."
    Mr Harley is of course completely clueless about S/PDIF's being a 'continuous bitstream'. Its not packetized to the degree of USB but packetized it most certainly is. Extra information being added (including bi-phase mark modulation) to allow the clock to be extracted and for status bits to be transmitted.

Quote Originally Posted by opus112 View Post
    Mr Harley is of course completely clueless about S/PDIF's being a 'continuous bitstream'. Its not packetized to the degree of USB but packetized it most certainly is. Extra information being added (including bi-phase mark modulation) to allow the clock to be extracted and for status bits to be transmitted.
    Good to know, thanks for the info, always something to learn. Microstrip has also suggested that the data on the CD itself are packeted as well, and looking up "data structure" on the Wiki page of Compact Disc seems to indicate that this is the case, even though the page also states that there is a 'continuous audio data stream'. Do you agree?

Link:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compac...Data_structure

Addicted to Best!
    Yes I thought micro's riposte was particularly apt - the data structures on CD are necessarily fairly complex due to the high degree of redundancy required to give immunity to scratches on the surface. There is a continuous stream of bits coming off the disk but they are most certainly not all audio data bits. In any case the disk format is largely irrelevant as the data off the CD is buffered, processed and clocked out quartz-locked whereas the bits coming off disk are subject to jitter due to mechanical issues.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by opus112 View Post
    Probably he uses the word continuous in a sense that it is a synchronous process with no random or pseudo random gaps of time between packets of digital data. Not very clear, I must say.
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack : cj GAT, Lamm M1.2R, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables ...

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Probably he uses the word continuous in a sense that it is a synchronous process with no random or pseudo random gaps of time between packets of digital data. Not very clear, I must say.
    Could be yes but its really rather a distraction as this makes no material difference in the digital circuitry which could plausibly have an impact on the SQ. USB is a much more complex transmission protocol for sure but Mr Harley completely ignores the difficulty of re-constituting the original clock once sent in somewhat garbled form over the S/PDIF link. Async USB has nothing remotely like that technical challenge to face.

Page 77 of 130 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687127 ... LastLast