MSB Select II arrival

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I first heard it a couple of years ago at RMAF. then heard it again more last year at the Newport Show. I went back a couple of times last year. there was something about it's ease and continuousness and hearing into the music, without tubes, that took digital to another level......like the Trinity dac i had only better. more like my vinyl, or tape. it's been in the back of my mind since then. thinking about this LA Show coming up i had been anticipating listening more to it again. and i did. and then i bought one. it will arrive Friday.

for over 2 years I've been on the hunt for my 'end-game' digital. i had the same digital for 9 years prior to my investigations. I've had lots of fun and it's been a learning experience.

this MSB Select II has the single power supply and the upgraded Femto 33 clock.

........and the USB input. i'll be using it with the SGM, and will get the Ethernet renderer to compare directly to the USB/SGM to see which approach is better when each is optimized.

I'm excited.

MSB S.jpg SelectBlack3Iso.0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: harleyguy

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Wowwiee Mike , congrats . We are excited too ... To hear how you get on with the Select , in your rig . Enjoy!!!.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
i didnt like the Select 1 for the money, but the II is a different animal. Its a killer for a killer price.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Congratulations, Mike! Now you have digital that does justice to your incredible system!

You keep making that trip to Seattle more and more appealing :)

Let me know if you need help with anything...

cheers,
alex

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow congrats.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Congratulations Mike! I had an extended Sunday morning listening session at Axpona 2017 with the MSB Select II DAC, Universal Transport, MSB monoblocks and YG Sonja 1.2. Hands down the best digital I've ever heard and arguably the best source of any type I've ever heard. Lifelike, natural, effortless and holographic. Everything you could ever want from a source component. I'm so jealous. ;)

Enjoy!
Ken

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I first heard it a couple of years ago at RMAF. then heard it again more last year at the Newport Show. I went back a couple of times last year. there was something about it's ease and continuousness and hearing into the music, without tubes, that took digital to another level......like the Trinity dac i had only better. more like my vinyl, or tape. it's been in the back of my mind since then. thinking about this LA Show coming up i had been anticipating listening more to it again. and i did. and then i bought one. it will arrive Friday.

for over 2 years I've been on the hunt for my 'end-game' digital. i had the same digital for 9 years prior to my investigations. I've had lots of fun and it's been a learning experience.

this MSB Select II has the single power supply and the upgraded Femto 33 clock.

........and the USB input. i'll be using it with the SGM, and will get the Ethernet renderer to compare directly to the USB/SGM to see which approach is better when each is optimized.

I'm excited.

View attachment 33275

Congrats. Mine arrives on Thursday. We can compare notes. I am getting the same configuration. Can't wait!

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Looking forward to have mine too, though I'll have to wait longer.
My best results ever were achieved with DHCP server in my Music Server and, of course Linux. No switch between PC and the MSB Renderer. DAC direct to PC LAN port. No WiFi control point.
If, like me, you'll find the Renderer more lifelike. That's with the Diamond. With the Select, who knows...
Congrats.
Armsan

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Bravo, Mike. The Select II is considered one of the great DAC's. Looking for your future posts about it!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
thanks Jazzhead, Steve, Alex and Ked.

I'm pretty excited to get it in my system.

i didnt like the Select 1 for the money, but the II is a different animal. Its a killer for a killer price.

it sounds 'killer', and wish it was a 'killer price', it would not have used up so many 'wife points' and depleted my piggy bank so profoundly.:cool:

maybe you have the MSB Select II confused with the MSB Analog Dac? or maybe you used 'killer' literally (normally a 'killer' price would be an exceptional value)....as in 'it kills something'.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congratulations Mike! I had an extended Sunday morning listening session at Axpona 2017 with the MSB Select II DAC, Universal Transport, MSB monoblocks and YG Sonja 1.2. Hands down the best digital I've ever heard and arguably the best source of any type I've ever heard. Lifelike, natural, effortless and holographic. Everything you could ever want from a source component. I'm so jealous. ;)

Enjoy!
Ken

thanks Ken. it seems you heard what I heard.

my mind is open to just how close it might come to my analog in terms of best source. my guess is it's not quite to that level, but much closer than any other digital. we will see how the chips fall.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congrats. Mine arrives on Thursday. We can compare notes. I am getting the same configuration. Can't wait!

wow! congrats Priaptor. it will be fun sharing our perceptions.

mine is the Black Anodized in case it's not clear from the picture. what color is yours?

will you use it as a preamp directly to amps? or with a separate preamp?

mine will be used with the darTZeel preamp.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Looking forward to have mine too, though I'll have to wait longer.
My best results ever were achieved with DHCP server in my Music Server and, of course Linux. No switch between PC and the MSB Renderer. DAC direct to PC LAN port. No WiFi control point.
If, like me, you'll find the Renderer more lifelike. That's with the Diamond. With the Select, who knows...
Congrats.
Armsan

first of all, welcome to WBF Armsan.

and thank you for the feedback on your set-up. I don't know how the capabilities and digital interface differences from the Diamond 'V' series compares to the Select II. i'll check into that.

I've heard that the renderer might be better, but most people don't have an SGM to compare. so I have to investigate for myself.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Bravo, Mike. The Select II is considered one of the great DAC's. Looking for your future posts about it!

thanks Micro. I too am looking forward to discovering how what I've heard the MSB Select II do at shows, transfers to my system. I'm excited at the possibilities....and you know I will happily share what I hear.

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Thank You Mike.
Even without comparing them I think and hope that it will be a major upgrade for me.
BTW I ordered mine in silver and I will use it direct to the Accuphase.
Please try the USB module with WTFPlay. It's very close to the Renderer, in the Diamond.
Cheers.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Congrats Mike. What happened to the Aqua Formula?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congrats Mike. What happened to the Aqua Formula?

they are still in room and I'm still enjoying them, till Friday night.

it and the La Diva transport will be finding a new home.....when I have the time to list them. someone will get a very good deal on some great gear.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
wow! congrats Priaptor. it will be fun sharing our perceptions.

mine is the Black Anodized in case it's not clear from the picture. what color is yours?

will you use it as a preamp directly to amps? or with a separate preamp?

mine will be used with the darTZeel preamp.

I am getting black as well with the "gold accents" the latter held up my production.

I am going to be comparing it with my REF10 PRE and see if Vince's claim is correct that "it is better with it's own pre stage". I hope it is as I would love to pay for some of the absurd cost with the sale of my Ref10 and Nordost cable.

I am currently at the MSB V variant which I love. Really looking forward to it. I have all Valhalla V2 cables with AR GS 150 amp into my Nola Concert Grand Golds. I am also starting with the Quad USB MQA input and when the new renderer is released will try that.

I also got 1 power supply and the Femto 33. My V is the Femto 77.

Unfortunately I get it on Thursday and am off to my Montana home on Monday so won't get much chance of listening for another week.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I am getting black as well with the "gold accents" the latter held up my production.

I am going to be comparing it with my REF10 PRE and see if Vince's claim is correct that "it is better with it's own pre stage". I hope it is as I would love to pay for some of the absurd cost with the sale of my Ref10 and Nordost cable.

I am currently at the MSB V variant which I love. Really looking forward to it. I have all Valhalla V2 cables with AR GS 150 amp into my Nola Concert Grand Golds. I am also starting with the Quad USB MQA input and when the new renderer is released will try that.

I also got 1 power supply and the Femto 33. My V is the Femto 77.

Unfortunately I get it on Thursday and am off to my Montana home on Monday so won't get much chance of listening for another week.

got to be a beauty, Black with the gold accents (there is a picture on the website), congrats. with the darTZeel pre and amps I already have my share of 'gold' in the house. Vince does think highly of the built in passive preamp. so best wishes on that working and getting to sell the ARC and Nordost.

I'm getting the new renderer too when it's released, it is supposed to also do MQA over Ethernet.

enjoy your time in Montana, I live in the mountains east of Seattle so I can relate. I will watch for your feedback.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing