MBL North America/United Home Audio -- Los Angeles Audio Show 2017

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
One of my favorite events at an audio show is the after-hours tape listening sessions hosted by Jeremy and Tara Bryan of MBL North America and Greg Beron of United Home Audio. My wife and I dropped by on Friday night, and I visited the room again on Sunday morning.

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

Jeremy was displaying the MBL 101E MKII ($70,500), the new Noble N11 Line Stereo Preamplifier ($14,600) and the new Noble N15 mono amplifiers ($17,800 each). Greg was playing the latest and best iteration of his UHA tape deck -- the Ultima 2 with OPS-DC (outboard power supply-direct current) ($28,000).

IMG_0236.JPG

I found last year at The Show Newport in Irvine, CA, that for some reason I preferred the sound of the MBL Noble amplifiers over the sound of the larger and more powerful and more expensive MBL Reference amplifiers. I liked the sound of the new Noble mono amplifiers very much.

The MBL system is always a thrill ride! My wife has auditioned with me several state-of-the-art high-end systems in Europe and in California, and she knows how good these systems can sound. She really enjoyed the 101E MK IIs. She liked, especially, the dynamics of the system and the “everywhere” nature of the sound of the omni-directional Radialstrahler drivers.

I thought that, as usual, the system sounded great: thrilling dynamics, great transparency and a realistic recreation of musicians on a stage. Jeremy is a master at solving show room acoustics deficiencies. This time he used a mattress to fill up a cavity behind the thin room divider wall behind the rows of chairs.

I find that the MBL system generates a somewhat more diffuse center image than dipole speakers or dynamic driver speakers. While I personally like a clearly delineated center image on my home stereo, I think the MBL’s somewhat more diffuse presentation is closer to what I hear in live music, and thus is more realistic.

Greg’s tape deck performed perfectly, as usual. Since an earlier version of an UHA tape deck was not there for comparison, we cannot know exactly how Greg’s recent perfectionistic improvements have improved the sound of the deck. Utilizing a new discrete component, Class A tape head amplifier I am sure the Ultima 2 is Greg’s best sounding machine ever!

If you are looking to join the reel-to-reel tape renaissance and find daunting the prospect of buying and reconditioned a vintage tape machine, then buying a UHA tape deck is an easy, turn-key solution which comes with a warranty and offers the ability to upgrade to the specs of a more expensive UHA deck in the future as funds permit.

Reactions: The Knife

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Greg and Bryan's room has always been an oasis for me at the shows. I just sit there and let the music transport me to the live event!!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've followed Jeremy and MBL going back 12-15 years when THE Show took place same time as CES and they were off The Strip at Alexis Park. It was the first time I ever heard the speaker and their electronics together as a system. I was mesmerized by the sound as well as the holographic image and must have returned to the room 5-6 times while I was at the show. Since then MBL has always IMO had an amazing room with sound in the top tier. Adding Greg Beron's UHA to the mix along with the amazing tape is spell binding. Last year BruceB and I were sitting beside one another ion the room enjoying the tape. After the tape was over a gentleman in the front row stands up and turns around and tells us that he is a professional drummer who has played with a lot of renown groups. He felt compelled to comment because in his opinion the sound was to his ears so real

As I was entering the room Jeremy was walking in before me carrying the mattress that you described. Kudos to Jeremy for having this line for so long and to have done so well

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
One of my favorite events at an audio show is the after-hours tape listening sessions hosted by Jeremy and Tara Bryan of MBL North America and Greg Beron of United Home Audio. My wife and I dropped by on Friday night, and I visited the room again on Sunday morning.

View attachment 33269

View attachment 33271

Jeremy was displaying the MBL 101E MKII ($70,500), the new Noble N11 Line Stereo Preamplifier ($14,600) and the new Noble N15 mono amplifiers ($17,800 each). Greg was playing the latest and best iteration of his UHA tape deck -- the Ultima 2 with OPS-DC (outboard power supply-direct current) ($28,000).

View attachment 33272

I found last year at The Show Newport in Irvine, CA, that for some reason I preferred the sound of the MBL Noble amplifiers over the sound of the larger and more powerful and more expensive MBL Reference amplifiers. I liked the sound of the new Noble mono amplifiers very much.

The MBL system is always a thrill ride! My wife has auditioned with me several state-of-the-art high-end systems in Europe and in California, and she knows how good these systems can sound. She really enjoyed the 101E MK IIs. She liked, especially, the dynamics of the system and the “everywhere” nature of the sound of the omni-directional Radialstrahler drivers.

I thought that, as usual, the system sounded great: thrilling dynamics, great transparency and a realistic recreation of musicians on a stage. Jeremy is a master at solving show room acoustics deficiencies. This time he used a mattress to fill up a cavity behind the thin room divider wall behind the rows of chairs.

I find that the MBL system generates a somewhat more diffuse center image than dipole speakers or dynamic driver speakers. While I personally like a clearly delineated center image on my home stereo, I think the MBL’s somewhat more diffuse presentation is closer to what I hear in live music, and thus is more realistic.

Greg’s tape deck performed perfectly, as usual. Since an earlier version of an UHA tape deck was not there for comparison, we cannot know exactly how Greg’s recent perfectionistic improvements have improved the sound of the deck. Utilizing a new discrete component, Class A tape head amplifier I am sure the Ultima 2 is Greg’s best sounding machine ever!

If you are looking to join the reel-to-reel tape renaissance and find daunting the prospect of buying and reconditioned a vintage tape machine, then buying a UHA tape deck is an easy, turn-key solution which comes with a warranty and offers the ability to upgrade to the specs of a more expensive UHA deck in the future as funds permit.
Hi Ron,
Interesting and thanks for sharing. I have the opportunity to access a pair of N15s (demos) for an affordable price. Do you still think these mono blocks hold their stands 5 years later (assuming class-D has moved forward)? And do you think they will blend in well with other speakers then MBL, such as ML for instance?
KR
Andy

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron,
Interesting and thanks for sharing. I have the opportunity to access a pair of N15s (demos) for an affordable price. Do you still think these mono blocks hold their stands 5 years later (assuming class-D has moved forward)? And do you think they will blend in well with other speakers then MBL, such as ML for instance?
KR
Andy

Hi Andy,

I have not heard N15s since that report, and I have never heard N15s with any other loudspeaker. So I have nothing useful whatsoever to say specifically about N15s.

Having owned and enjoyed five different models of Martin-Logan loudspeakers over 18 years (most of that time with Prodigys), as well as three different dealers demos of the Neolith, and two dealer demos of Renaissance 15A speakers, I can tell you very firmly that I have never cared for the sound of any Martin-Logan speaker I have ever heard which has been driven by solid-state electronics. The combination simply does not work for me.

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi Ron,
Thanks for letting me know! I have the MLs E11 and I am very found of them. Of course always looking for ways to improve their sonic output further. However I have not had the opportunity to test them with a variety of amplification. If you were in my shoes, what amplification would you recommend me to try out with them?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
If you would care to share your musical genre preferences and tell me some examples of systems and sounds you have liked in the past, and your listening preferences and some information about your room, I would be delighted to try to help.

Please feel free to private message me and then we can talk on the phone.

Reactions: The Knife

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Hi Ron!

Nice talking to you over phone yesterday.
Shipping in a my 5c in this thread mentioning the MBL N15. I got the opportunity to borrow home a pair of these Monoblock's over the upcoming weekend, so I am auditing them as we speak. They seem to be quite the match for my ML ESL 11s. Never heard these speakers quite like now. Really popping. A lot of energy. Good in details. Still a lot of control. Fun fact. After 2 hours of playing the Mono blocks don't sweat. They are not even a little bit heated. Stone cold. That is also a new experience.

Kind regards from Stockholm, Sweden, where today we are visited by an US- aircraft carrier :).

The Knife

Nov 13, 2020
Stockholm, Sweden
Some pics…

Attachments

• E3F2917E-AD96-4AB7-973F-FC1F5B56F9FC.jpeg
    E3F2917E-AD96-4AB7-973F-FC1F5B56F9FC.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 23359D17-5C46-4B91-A3D8-43257C205D21.jpeg
    23359D17-5C46-4B91-A3D8-43257C205D21.jpeg
    400.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 69FED1BF-B04B-4F05-96BE-6CF46042103A.jpeg
    69FED1BF-B04B-4F05-96BE-6CF46042103A.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 34AA187B-AEE5-46EE-BB37-D5C6FD46A919.jpeg
    34AA187B-AEE5-46EE-BB37-D5C6FD46A919.jpeg
    684.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 1D567F28-9B5D-4092-939E-F90E11D7C547.jpeg
    1D567F28-9B5D-4092-939E-F90E11D7C547.jpeg
    833.5 KB · Views: 1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing