Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magico Loudspeakers -- Los Angeles Audio Show 2017

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! still-one's Avatar
    My experience is the opposite of Ron's. I had no appreciation for Magico speakers until I heard them with Soulution gear.
    Jim
    Speakers:Alexandria X2- Series 2, AMP''s-D'Agostino Momentum M-400's, Pre-Amp:D'Agostino Momentum Phono Stage Esoteric E-03 Sources :dCS Rossini & clock , SME 20/3, Cabling/Interconnects:Transparent Opus SC and Interconnects, Power Delivery Shunyata Denali

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Rons appraisals and comments most welcome and the foresight to admit some reservations with products to be admired--kudos for honesty

Myself I have to admit I've never heard a Magico Speaker that would say "buy me" but personal prefs are what they are.

As for the Jadis products--I've owned at last count, 6 units over the years plus heard many demos/etc from the Goldstein era through to Bluebird/ ABSound UK and present day--I sincerely hope the QC

is up to snuff--I had Power Transformer failures in the Amps-- and those damn 150 Ohm R's across the Tubes blowing willy nilly

Apart from those hiccups they made glorious Music come to life--!

BruceD

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    David, is this observation about Alon's preference based on historical pairings or has he spoken or written about this specifically? I know at the factory, they have many different electronics in and out for audition, both SS and tubes.
    It's from the company's choices at shows like CES where they have full control, my personal conversations with him and having visited his home. Yes, they do have many amps on hand as do many other manufacturers, but taste is taste and no right or wrong here.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Quote Originally Posted by BruceD View Post
    Rons appraisals and comments most welcome and the foresight to admit some reservations with products to be admired--kudos for honesty

BruceD
    That's why I look forward to Ron's write-ups.

I thought the S3's at the show that were demonstrated with the CAT Legend and Statement amps were a great match up.
    I have heard Magicos demonstrated with Boulder and thought that was a little too dry for my taste, but with CAT gear, that's a superb set up!
    Last edited by DaveyF; 06-05-2017 at 08:53 PM.

My 2c's. I have never made a purchasing decisions based on demo's. Just too many variables. Might seem like blasphemy but in close to 30 years of participation in this hobby, I've only been wrong once. I heard my first set of M3's in Magico's own listening room with all the optimized hardware and cables he used and while impressive, it paled in comparison to what I heard with the M3's in my room with my cables and equipment. I purchased based on Magico's design concept and the recommendations of people I trusted. In this case, I hit a grand slam home run. Fully broken in, in a properly treated room, I am hearing the best sound of my life. The files are now the limitation, not my hardware or interconnects.

Cincy
    Aurender W20 music server
    dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler and Clock
    D'Agostino M400 monoblocks
    Magico M3 speakers
    REL G1Mk2 Subwoofers
    Transparent Opus Gen 5 and Reference speaker cables and interconnects

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
    The files are now the limitation, not my hardware or interconnects.

Cincy
    Glad to hear you're happy with your speakers and system, but the above is a dangerous thing to say, imo. I overcame some limitations in the presentation of orchestral violin sound, which I thought were at least partially due to the 16/44 CD format, by changing interconnects. It was not the format itself -- at least it is not to the degree I expected.

Of course, you have top notch components and interconnects, but there is always some limitation in the hardware, even with the best one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12