Zero Distortion: PTP Lenco and Nottingham Dais, Zyx 4D, SPU a95

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hi 853, I loved the Schick commonwealth this year, and I have heard his Schick chick 14 3 years ago though it was a less developed version than what he had one display this year. It costs 15k EUR.

I loved the Schopper, not so the Audiograil Garrard. I have also heard the Artisan Fidelity Garrard, a top spec, with Ikeda 407 and Koetsu Coralstone, through an Ongaku phono, though not compared with anything except the Burmester digital.

I must say I am a Schopper 124 and PTP Lenco fan (the Nantais Lenco did not do anything for me). As with Apogee, DIY restores differ based on who does them.

The PTP had by far the highest bass, dynamics, drive, and immersive soundstage. Once I get it, I will compare it side by side against Schopper (which is next to the Audiograil Garrard), and a Kuzma XL4. I will get to listen to another PTP next to Schopper, Lorricraft, and SP10 mk2, though in a much smaller system. And yet another Schopper, SME 30/12, and Audiograil compare is on the cards later in the year. And once Gian gets his arm for his Schopper, next to the Bergmann.

All that said, the cost and resale of the PTP makes it a no-brainer for me till the final TT is found (which in my case might be the Schopper if it’s better). For someone with much more money, the PTP will make a great second table.
Hi Bonzo,
Very interesting thread! Considering my recent big disappointment with Techdas AF3, I am beginning to think, that most modern TTs are a big rip off. Just curious though, why you dismissed Nantais Lenco. I understand that PTP TT is a great value for money, but comparIng to the Nantais Classic model, it is much lighter (25 kg vs 45kg), which, in my opinion, should make a difference. Also, Jean has a new platter as an option, but I do not know how expensive this option is.
Anyway, can you elaborate a bit on what you did not like about the Nantais TT?
Thanks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Bonzo,
Very interesting thread! Considering my recent big disappointment with Techdas AF3, I am beginning to think, that most modern TTs are a big rip off. Just curious though, why you dismissed Nantais Lenco. I understand that PTP TT is a great value for money, but comparIng to the Nantais Classic model, it is much lighter (25 kg vs 45kg), which, in my opinion, should make a difference. Also, Jean has a new platter as an option, but I do not know how expensive this option is.
Anyway, can you elaborate a bit on what you did not like about the Nantais TT?
Thanks.

Hi, I can’t technically tell you why, but another user who had the Nantais MkII, did not like it as much as his friend’s DIY – he reckoned the Nantai was overdamped.

Also, Peter of PTP found that the plinth should be kept within a certain range of thickness for his to sound good, and making it thicker or heavier would not help.

It’s tough to say why I preferred one over the other as they were in different system, maybe the Nantais will work in another system. But the size of the platter should not be the only thing to go by.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing