L.A. Show, likes, loves, 2 cents

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Aesthetically I prefer the EXact "towers" with the MM3 and MM2, but these appear smaller and perhaps more easily hidden?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Aesthetically I prefer the EXact "towers" with the MM3 and MM2, but these appear smaller and perhaps more easily hidden?

my thought was in some living rooms the crossover boxes could be disguised as twin side tables to satisfy WAF issues......so hidden in plain sight.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
room 475---MSB Technology---second visit---this time playing the new Reference Dac (on top). and yes, I could tell it was not quite the same as the Select II. notice the 3 Select II chassis turned off below.

MSB ref.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Salon 210---Perfect 8, High End Zone, Ypsilon, Aurender---this room was not operational the first day, they had some gear issue. sounded fairly good but not at the level I expect from this top notch kit. the room was very live and little treatment, maybe they were just satisfied they could make some music. it was just a bit 'harsh' sounding.

P8-1.jpg P8-2.jpg P8-3.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Room 320---Zesto Audio----2nd trip---sounded lovely. heard an excellent mono reissue pressing of female vocal on a Mono Ortofon Black cartridge. just a nice sound, not slow or cloudy, just music.

zes-3.jpg zes-2.jpg

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Santa Barbara--(3rd floor)--Cardas, AMG, VTL, Wilson Audio, Audio Element---for whatever reason this one was 'an icepick to the ear' and I ran out.

View attachment 32881 View attachment 32882

Grateful thanks Mike for the excellent Pics and yes your info additions ARE indeed welcome to correlate the gears--Kudos there for the "extra" effort! ;)

Interestingly I know Wilson only use Amps( Mfgs)that do not have/make/etc any association with Speakers their product list--but have to say I agree with your comments on the sonics experienced in this Combo

I've attended numerous Wilson "demos" and why they persevere with those VTL Amps -I'll never know--at least it not McIntosh :mad:!

Sorry I feel both Amps fail to bring out the best in a Fine Speaker presentation.

YVMV

BruceD

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I agree with most of Mike's assessments with one major exception....I thought the Tidal room was terrific. My last couple of visits to the VAC/ VonSchweikert room were also great. They played a tape of Piazzola's "Tango Zero Hour" that was a memorable highlight. Catalano's room cost me a lot of coin in LPs (as always). Intrigued by the new Evolution Acoustics speakers; J Tinn's room is always fun!

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thank you Mike. almost like "being there".. always curious on the Vivid speakers and the Zest gear...

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Sounds like it was worth attending. Maybe next year.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Man, this is some first class photography Mike and detailed notes to boot! Was great to see you at MSB suite finally.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It was great touring rooms with Ron, Mike, Amir, and others. Turns out Ron and I share similar taste in audio components. I also chatted with Jonathan Tinn, Alex and Fabio, Kevin Hayes, Jim White, JC from Jadis, Volker from Einstein, etc. We have a wonderful WBF contingency and that needs to be pointed out more often :)
For sure. It was great to keep seeing familiar faces, comparing notes, etc. I think we made other people jealous.

Speaking of Jealous, some of you guys are big time royalties at the shows. I saw how companies catered to you.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I appreciate all the pictures and opinions from everybody, unfortunately I was not able to make the show this year, thanks guys.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
room 475---MSB Technology---second visit---this time playing the new Reference Dac (on top). and yes, I could tell it was not quite the same as the Select II. notice the 3 Select II chassis turned off below.

View attachment 33234

Hi Mike!

Great to see you again!
The Reference was fresh off the production line (they didn't ship the units back from Munich), and they had just 2 days of burn in on them. Thus, they were sounding *much* better on Sunday, after being on for the duration.
That unit is going back to the factory (here in CA) for a few updates, and then coming back to us, so we shall see how far it is from the SELECT :)

cheers,
alex

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I have to imagine it's hard to impress you at a show Mike, you've simply got it so much better at home.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I have to imagine it's hard to impress you at a show Mike, you've simply got it so much better at home.

there is that.

but a show is much more than trying to compete with our references from many higher level, fully mature, completely sorted out systems. which is why the show systems sound so much better by Sunday. they get just that little bit more sorted out......but not all the way for sure.

I can still get immersed in the experience at a show, and listening in a group, where we are all hearing together, brings something to the experience I value.....as well as all the social aspects and exposure to new music and meeting new people.

OTOH I did get home last night and even though it was late I put on reel #1 of 5 reels of a master tape I bought at the show of 'The Allman Brothers', "Live at Fillmore East". OMG! OMG! OMG! it was amazing sounding in the EA room at the show on the ATR-102. in my room on the big rig with the Studer A-820 and King-Cello it was a religious experience I've still not recovered from.

so my system does not take away from the enjoyment of a show, but I know what I'm coming home to.

maybe if a show did not have much gear I had some interest in then that could make a difference.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
shows are about fun though as Mike alluded to - I mean where else can you meet all the great manufacturers in our hobby? I was chatting with JC Calmettes from Jadis for 20 minutes on power, impedance, and tubes :)

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Thank you for starting and carrying on with this thread guys,...the photos are amazing and for those of us could not make the East-West commute, very much appreciated!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thank you so much for the wonderful photos and commentary, Mike. And of course to all others who commented as well.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
shows are about fun though as Mike alluded to - I mean where else can you meet all the great manufacturers in our hobby? I was chatting with JC Calmettes from Jadis for 20 minutes on power, impedance, and tubes :)

That is, for sure, one of the nicest aspects of audio shows!
BTW Keith, did you see that Hervé was there in the Evolution/darTZeel room?

cheers,
alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing