L.A. Show, likes, loves, 2 cents

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
so I'm sitting here listening to the middle of the 33 minutes and 40 seconds of 'Mountain Jam' from reel 5, yes reel f i v e, of 'Live at Fillmore East'........which is a monster dual drum solo left and right......the big rig is on cruise control not even breathing hard........and I'm transported to that night. I've listened to reel 2,3, and 4 already tonight (last night i did reel number 1). the 'ultra' quality of the first reel is maintained throughout.

so this has occupied all my attention tonight. and anyone who might like to hear this come over anytime. you got to be in the mood for mainlining the best imaginable Southern Rock.

but thank you to all for the kind words and i enjoyed taking the pictures and posting them.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
OTOH I did get home last night and even though it was late I put on reel #1 of 5 reels of a master tape I bought at the show of 'The Allman Brothers', "Live at Fillmore East". OMG! OMG! OMG! it was amazing sounding in the EA room at the show on the ATR-102. in my room on the big rig with the Studer A-820 and King-Cello it was a religious experience I've still not recovered from.

Great to hear, Mike! :D

kkfan

Jan 3, 2016
Thanks for the effort, Mike! Photos are excellent, but the accompanying text really take your posts to another level of enjoyment.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
so I'm sitting here listening to the middle of the 33 minutes and 40 seconds of 'Mountain Jam' from reel 5, yes reel f i v e, of 'Live at Fillmore East'........which is a monster dual drum solo left and right......the big rig is on cruise control not even breathing hard........and I'm transported to that night. I've listened to reel 2,3, and 4 already tonight (last night i did reel number 1). the 'ultra' quality of the first reel is maintained throughout.

so this has occupied all my attention tonight. and anyone who might like to hear this come over anytime. you got to be in the mood for mainlining the best imaginable Southern Rock.

but thank you to all for the kind words and i enjoyed taking the pictures and posting them.

Sounds fantastic. But I'm curious about the number of reels? The original album is only a little over 80 minutes long and should fit on 3 reels? The "complete" version is closer to 6 hours and would probably require 11 or 12 reels (and also was digitally mastered, no pure analog version available)?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
That is, for sure, one of the nicest aspects of audio shows!
BTW Keith, did you see that Hervé was there in the Evolution/darTZeel room?

yes, of course! as was Joel Durand. however, Kevin sucked up all my time explaining his crossover :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Sounds fantastic. But I'm curious about the number of reels? The original album is only a little over 80 minutes long and should fit on 3 reels? The "complete" version is closer to 6 hours and would probably require 11 or 12 reels (and also was digitally mastered, no pure analog version available)?

these tapes were mixed from a complete set of concert tapes and include all the album cuts, plus a one reel--33 minute, 40 second---version of 'Mountain Jam' not on the album (it's on 'Eat A Peach') but not broken into pieces......and sounds so much better. so it's the album +.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
there is that.

but a show is much more than trying to compete with our references from many higher level, fully mature, completely sorted out systems. which is why the show systems sound so much better by Sunday. they get just that little bit more sorted out......but not all the way for sure.

I can still get immersed in the experience at a show, and listening in a group, where we are all hearing together, brings something to the experience I value.....as well as all the social aspects and exposure to new music and meeting new people.

OTOH I did get home last night and even though it was late I put on reel #1 of 5 reels of a master tape I bought at the show of 'The Allman Brothers', "Live at Fillmore East". OMG! OMG! OMG! it was amazing sounding in the EA room at the show on the ATR-102. in my room on the big rig with the Studer A-820 and King-Cello it was a religious experience I've still not recovered from.

so my system does not take away from the enjoyment of a show, but I know what I'm coming home to.

maybe if a show did not have much gear I had some interest in then that could make a difference.

Mike,

I know that you do not have religious experiences easily and have had the pleasure of hearing a former iteration of your system, and thus was highly motivated by your enthusiasm to work on my humble system

Great photos and narrative for those of us not fortunate enough to attend.

russ

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Salon 214---Von Schweikert Audio, VAC, Masterbuilt Audio, ASC----lots of WBF posting relative to this gear and previous shows made this room significant, and so far I've been in it 4 times to get a feel for it. really good sound in this room and very authoritative and full frequency. very, very dynamic and excellent extension and articulation in the bass. but.......it's not perfect, the soundstage it quite diffuse. one could make a case that it's more like 'live'....and I would agree.....to a degree. my opinion, living with similarly capable speakers in a similarly large room is that the room is the issue in the lack of precision in the soundstage. it's impossible in a show to assign cause and effect for things. but I heard nothing in this room that would limit the performance of the speakers in a properly mature and sorted out system. the big VS's are the real deal. can't really comment on the Masterbuilt cables; I've heard them now in Steve's room and now in this system and they seem to do a wonderful job to the degree one can determine.

View attachment 32822 View attachment 32823

Hi Mike,

It was great to finally meet you in person as well as several other WBF members:) Thank you for the wonderful pictures and show coverage. I enjoy reading members take on the show and the pictures. I would also like to thank you for your coverage of the VSA/VAC room as well. I really appreciate the comment of the "LIVE" feel. That has always been my personal preference. But that's probably because of my mixing concerts for so many years.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015

I have absolutely ZERO problem listening to that album in its entirety. There are just some live albums out there that just capture a precious moment in time so well, that's one!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I have absolutely ZERO problem listening to that album in its entirety. There are just some live albums out there that just capture a precious moment in time so well, that's one!

ok.

you will just have to come on over then. let me know when you have some time for it. the new MSB Select II arrives Friday night, so sometime after that so you can sample a bit of digital bliss too.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,

It was great to finally meet you in person as well as several other WBF members:) Thank you for the wonderful pictures and show coverage. I enjoy reading members take on the show and the pictures. I would also like to thank you for your coverage of the VSA/VAC room as well. I really appreciate the comment of the "LIVE" feel. That has always been my personal preference. But that's probably because of my mixing concerts for so many years.

Leif, it was a pleasure likewise to meet you and enjoy your room. I liked it (as evidenced by my repeated visits).

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

I know that you do not have religious experiences easily and have had the pleasure of hearing a former iteration of your system, and thus was highly motivated by your enthusiasm to work on my humble system

Great photos and narrative for those of us not fortunate enough to attend.

russ

thanks Russ, I hope all is good with you.

and your system is not so humble!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for posting these very insightful comments and great photos, Mike!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing