Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: What SET amplifiers have Realistic Midrange Magic AND have the Great BASS? Rock your Horns!

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
    Yes, the nature of recording and playback dynamic range is well below our hearing. As someone who had a studio too I know it. I also thing the micro and macro dynamics are one of the key things for transfer of emotion. That is why I have built my system 109db efficient!

The accents I have tried to tell about was unnatural and out of place, making the sounds become overly bodied and loose the refinement with the power that came along with it. Like hearing the instruments with the air around them, then forte parts loosing the air, sounding strong but suddenly like a less seasoned player pushing and loosing the refinement. It maybe more accentuation in lower mids opposed to the rest of the band. Oh how I hate trying to explain these things Anyway, this can be equipment mismatch as well. Wavac is a serious company with incredible amps!
    If I understand you correctly you mean that it was more of an inconsistency in how they behaved at different dynamic levels that made them standout to you. Does that sound about right? 109db system is pretty awesome and will show up many kinds of inconsistencies, like a really powerful microscope for the sound. I myself am using 98db horn speakers but a full 11db is a huge jump in sensitivity. I guess it has a "jump" that is hard for most other systems to realize.

Quote Originally Posted by morricab View Post
    If I understand you correctly you mean that it was more of an inconsistency in how they behaved at different dynamic levels that made them standout to you. Does that sound about right? 109db system is pretty awesome and will show up many kinds of inconsistencies, like a really powerful microscope for the sound. I myself am using 98db horn speakers but a full 11db is a huge jump in sensitivity. I guess it has a "jump" that is hard for most other systems to realize.
    Yes, you got me right. Its a kind of inconsistent dynamic behaviour. I want to remind once more, these can be dependent on many factors. What I am saying is nitpicking. If I have chosen the 805 and tried to adapt it to my system and create a synergy. It may have been solved. I just did not think it as a good starting point to work on. It takes a lot of time and a combination of each and every component to get a refined sound. The 109db efficiency is both a blessing and a curse!

Among the many tube amps i had since 1990 to 2.016,

Yamamura with 845,all Audio Tekne,ANJapan Neiro,Neiro Silver,Kageki,Baransu,Ongaku,Gakuon,Kondo Souga and Ongaku KSL,ANUK Kageki and Jinro,Shindo Shinonia,Pavillon Rouge and 300B Limited,Dissanayake reference,FAL,Verdier,Sun Audio 300B,Mactone 300B and M8V otl mono

plus listen many times from friends like Sakuma,Kondo Shinden,ANJ Kegon,Viva Aurora with 845,Wavac 300B

Plus some in the shop like Kronzilla and others,

i can tell the absolutely more magic in the mid/midhigh for me are

Kondo Souga and AudioTekne mono TM 8501 with 300B and TM 9502 with tube 6AS7G

This are the 3 best and really have a magic sound

Addicted to Best!
    I have heard this exact description from a major importer of Wavac many years ago...sometimes too bombastic, sometime too demure. Not measured/controlled enough in its delivery. A number of years later, I think they still distribute it, but I think they have been focusing on other brands.
    Speaker: Wilson X1/Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amps: CJ GAT/Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: SC/IC:TA Opus (Gen5/MM2) PC:PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    16 Isolation Sandwiches: Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground/Shield: 4 x 16A w/ Furutech / Burmester948/NordostQX4 / Tripoint TroySig+Thor / Entreq (Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap)
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex Mullard Telefunken
    Headphone: Arcam RHead/Sennheiser HD650

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    I have heard this exact description from a major importer of Wavac many years ago...sometimes too bombastic, sometime too demure. Not measured/controlled enough in its delivery. A number of years later, I think they still distribute it, but I think they have been focusing on other brands.
    I have only heard the HE805 from WAVAC and I have to admit it left me gobsmacked in the system I heard it in. One of the best show demos I have ever heard.

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by LL21 View Post
    I have only heard the HE805 from WAVAC and I have to admit it left me gobsmacked in the system I heard it in. One of the best show demos I have ever heard.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    What speakers?
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    What speakers?
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Addicted to Best!
    I have a lot of trust in your ears Morricab and enjoy reading all your posts. I imagine that amp-speaker combination is important here (as it often can be), and equally have certainly read about the human-ness/life-like qualities of the Wavac signature.
    Speaker: Wilson X1/Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amps: CJ GAT/Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: SC/IC:TA Opus (Gen5/MM2) PC:PAD25th/Sablon GCUber
    16 Isolation Sandwiches: Under: HRS/Stillpoints/Auralex Top: HRS/Artesania/Entreq/EAT/90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground/Shield: 4 x 16A w/ Furutech / Burmester948/NordostQX4 / Tripoint TroySig+Thor / Entreq (Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap)
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex Mullard Telefunken
    Headphone: Arcam RHead/Sennheiser HD650

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456