What SET amplifiers have Realistic Midrange Magic AND have the Great BASS? Rock your Horns!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Elberoth has heard, or his friend has heard, the Amplifon and rates it highly. Check with Elberoth. I think the guy wad on this forum with id Sly.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
sorry, but the Audiopax 88s big weak spot is bass. Its more hidden with Avantgardes with adjustable bass.

the more recent Audiopax amps are much better in this regard.
I have had the opprtunity to audition AG with Audiopax in SG in Monaco, to be honest I was rather disappointed , my Crossfire III is doing much better with AG.
Of course the tuning was a matter of personal prefferences of Geoff but I had the same impression- deep bass was not present.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Elberoth has heard, or his friend has heard, the Amplifon and rates it highly. Check with Elberoth. I think the guy wad on this forum with id Sly.
You are right Ked, Sly is using Amplifon monos is his very advanced system , he lives just one hour drive from my place.
His system is a kind of cost no object, he used to have Grand Utopia EM, now he is developing a project of ultimate DIY speakers of his own design.
For time being he has top TAD speakers.
Btw I have had also Amplifon gear in 2000 years, the WT 40 amplifier and TACD 1 CDP with Philips Pro 2 , still being used by my son .

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You are right Ked, Sly is using Amplifon monos is his very advanced system , hi lives just one hour drive from my place.
His system is a kind of cost no object, he used to have Grand Utopia, now he is developing a project of ultimate DIY speakers of his own design.
For time being he has top TAD speakers.
Btw I have had also Amplifon gear in 2000 years, the WT 40 amplifier and TACD 1 CDP with Philips Pro 2 , still being used by my son .

Wow cool. What did you think of it?

Sly had burmester and Vitus before I think

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

He had many amps, I am a bit lost:)
If I am not mistaken Utopia were driven in bi amping with ss amps for bass and Amplifon for the rest of the band.
Just ask him directly, nick name Sly30.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you, microstrip.

The cj LP275 is eight 6550s in a conventional push-pull circuit?

I would want to compare the sound of the cj LP275 to the sound of the VTL MB-185 Series III (with eight EL34s).

Of course the circuit design matters but, all else being equal, for the midrange, I prefer the EL34 to the 6550.

The LP275m uses either 6550 or KT120 - I have used both, currently the KT120's. I have seen people using it with EL34 and even in triode mode. If it was not for the absurd cost of sending the GAT for upgrade to US and back, most probably I would be using them now!

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

I found his post in The best SET amp ever made:
"I had many tube amps like Kondo Kaguras, Octave, Jadis, ARC etc. but Amplifons was the best. I had no any NAT, but my friend had it and it was 2 class lower sound than Kaguras. I had Kaguras so i can compare to Amplifons. It depends what you looking for. Amplifons SET140 doesn't play like Jadis or 300B tubes.
They are more neutral, faster, dynamic with the best bass as is possible on tube amps. Sound has great 3D stage and is a little etheric but not to slow, to sweet and lazy like most 300B amps. Amplifons has no any noise. You can put head before tweeter and noise is...zero!! Profi engineering job. No any voodoo or garage quality. Most tube amps i know compare to Amplifons are like kid toy. Amplifons has 3 level control system and auto bias. Founder and boss of Amplifon work for audio and for...Army. He makes power systems for Marines, so he has great experience."

audiofanatic

Dec 2, 2017
If you are still interested in the Wavac 833 option, I have a pair with matching preamp and phonostage. I am approximately 1 hour away from Los Angeles.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
If you are still interested in the Wavac 833 option, I have a pair with matching preamp and phonostage. I am approximately 1 hour away from Los Angeles.

To audition or to buy?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
pity

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I found his post in The best SET amp ever made:
"I had many tube amps like Kondo Kaguras, Octave, Jadis, ARC etc. but Amplifons was the best. I had no any NAT, but my friend had it and it was 2 class lower sound than Kaguras. I had Kaguras so i can compare to Amplifons. It depends what you looking for. Amplifons SET140 doesn't play like Jadis or 300B tubes.
They are more neutral, faster, dynamic with the best bass as is possible on tube amps. Sound has great 3D stage and is a little etheric but not to slow, to sweet and lazy like most 300B amps. Amplifons has no any noise. You can put head before tweeter and noise is...zero!! Profi engineering job. No any voodoo or garage quality. Most tube amps i know compare to Amplifons are like kid toy. Amplifons has 3 level control system and auto bias. Founder and boss of Amplifon work for audio and for...Army. He makes power systems for Marines, so he has great experience."
Did you ever get over to hear the SET 140s?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Did you ever get over to hear the SET 140s?
Unfortunately not.
Some time ago I was in touch with Andrzej Piwowarczyk but because of the weight of the amp and the distance ( Andrzej lives in the south of Poland , some 500 kms from my place ) the visit did not take place.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing