What SET amplifiers have Realistic Midrange Magic AND have the Great BASS? Rock your Horns!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
On your dac, have you tried rolling the EML Lampi special 45s and the KR 242s?

If you can ever get a chance, would like to know how GE 211 compares to the KR 211 tube

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011
On your dac, have you tried rolling the EML Lampi special 45s and the KR 242s?

If you can ever get a chance, would like to know how GE 211 compares to the KR 211 tube

I haven't done any tube rolling on the Golden Gate. On the recommendation of a GG owner who auditioned a wide range of tubes on the GG, I went with his recommendation which was the KR-Labs 5U4G rectifier and a quad of KR-Labs PX4 output tubes.

I've posted this elsewhere on the forums, but I highly recommend a complement of Herbies Audo Lab tube dampers. I use three differently sized damping rings on the 5U4G, one on the top "nose", one on the shoulder, and one on the base. For each of the PX4, one on the shoulder and one one on the base. I found that I needed an additional fourth contact disk for the shoulder placements to prevent the ring from gradually slipping either up or down.

I also added a 1" soft support cup (black), flat on one end and concave on the other, on top of each tube. These are also from Herbies and are designed to hold a round ball on top for a component support. I put the concave end contacting the top of the tube and placed a 3" heavy damping disk on the flat end. You have to be careful since the cups and weighted disks are only held in place by gravity, so be careful to keep them centered. You might want to use a dab of silicone glue between the flat end of the cup and the damping disk as a safety measure.

The damping system really helps the GG. I didn't realize how much the vibrations of the tube envelopes impacted its performance. The result is a quieter noise floor, better soundstage, but with no loss of top end air and openness. All the good stuff is still there.

These are the sizes of the damping rings I use.
5U4G -- (top) Rx50, (shoulder) Rx65, (base) Rx35
PX4 (each) -- (shoulder) Rx55, (base) Rx35

Best,
Robert

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I haven't done any tube rolling on the Golden Gate. On the recommendation of a GG owner who auditioned a wide range of tubes on the GG, I went with his recommendation which was the KR-Labs 5U4G rectifier and a quad of KR-Labs PX4 output tubes.

I've posted this elsewhere on the forums, but I highly recommend a complement of Herbies Audo Lab tube dampers. I use three differently sized damping rings on the 5U4G, one on the top "nose", one on the shoulder, and one on the base. For each of the PX4, one on the shoulder and one one on the base. I found that I needed an additional fourth contact disk for the shoulder placements to prevent the ring from gradually slipping either up or down.

I also added a 1" soft support cup (black), flat on one end and concave on the other, on top of each tube. These are also from Herbies and are designed to hold a round ball on top for a component support. I put the concave end contacting the top of the tube and placed a 3" heavy damping disk on the flat end. You have to be careful since the cups and weighted disks are only held in place by gravity, so be careful to keep them centered. You might want to use a dab of silicone glue between the flat end of the cup and the damping disk as a safety measure.

The damping system really helps the GG. I didn't realize how much the vibrations of the tube envelopes impacted its performance. The result is a quieter noise floor, better soundstage, but with no loss of top end air and openness. All the good stuff is still there.

Best,
Robert

Hello Robert, Have you ever tried placing the Golden Gate on any brand of active isolation platform?

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011
Ron, no I haven't used active isolation platforms. Though they may provide benefit, keep in mind that sources of tube vibrations include that from the device itself (a DAC in this case) as well as airborne. So, I would still recommend using the tube dampers from Herbies Audio Lab.

One point, over they years I've used various tube damping products. I've found the damping rings from Herbies Audio Lab to be superior. The devices have a very small contact area with the tube via three or four small disks with very small elastomeric rings on perimeter of the disks that actually contact the tube. There is very little vibrational energy transferred from the tube. Think of it as analogous to damping the vibration using your hand, touching the tube with just three fingers.

The worst damping devices that I've tried are the typical thick damping rings that you slide over the tube. These tend to store vibrational energy and then release it back into the tube. This returned energy is delayed and is out of sync with the original, causing a smearing of the sound. For the life of me, I don't understand why large "high end" companies like ARC still use those things (I owned an ARC REF3).

Best,
Robert

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...keep in mind that sources of tube vibrations include that from the device itself (a DAC in this case) as well as airborne. So...recommend using the tube dampers from Herbies Audio Lab.

...over the years I've used various tube damping products...The worst...that I've tried are the typical thick damping rings that you slide over the tube...causing a smearing of the sound. For the life of me, I don't understand why large "high end" companies like ARC still use those things (I owned an ARC REF3)...

Good to know...I too was never happy with the red rings that CJ used on the ACT 2 and then CJ GAT. I use EAT Tube Dampers and found they work extremely well. For the larger PSU tubes, Brent Jessee makes copper rings which 'touch' the tube at 3 silicon strips only. Those also work well.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

Best,
Robert

Thank you Kernelbob, I have the same set of tubes in my B7 with Duelunds for over one year ( SE version so only two output tubes).
In my setup it is a better match then KR 242 with the same rectifier.
If I decide one day to put tube dampers I will follow your recommendation.
Very helpful , thanks a lot.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
KR 242 are very preamp impedance and system gain dependent.

Mariusz, I forget, did you try PX25 and the special 45s?

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
KR 242 are very preamp impedance and system gain dependent.

Mariusz, I forget, did you try PX25 and the special 45s?

As far as PX 25 are concerned Lukasz advised me not to go because they have higher gain then PX4.
I had also some EML special Lampi edition ,hardly remember the model, did not like them.

I must have somewhere a picture, If you want I will check it for you.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As far as PX 25 are concerned Lukasz advised me not to go because they have higher gain then PX4.
I had also some EML special Lampi edition ,hardly remember the model, did not like it.

I must have somewhere a picture, If you want I will check it for you.

No that's fine, yes those are the 45s I meant.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Nothing to touch the AUDIOPAX MODEL 88 mk3- as long as you know how to set the 'timbre lock' device.

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Ron, no I haven't used active isolation platforms. Though they may provide benefit, keep in mind that sources of tube vibrations include that from the device itself (a DAC in this case) as well as airborne. So, I would still recommend using the tube dampers from Herbies Audio Lab.

One point, over they years I've used various tube damping products. I've found the damping rings from Herbies Audio Lab to be superior. The devices have a very small contact area with the tube via three or four small disks with very small elastomeric rings on perimeter of the disks that actually contact the tube. There is very little vibrational energy transferred from the tube. Think of it as analogous to damping the vibration using your hand, touching the tube with just three fingers.

The worst damping devices that I've tried are the typical thick damping rings that you slide over the tube. These tend to store vibrational energy and then release it back into the tube. This returned energy is delayed and is out of sync with the original, causing a smearing of the sound. For the life of me, I don't understand why large "high end" companies like ARC still use those things (I owned an ARC REF3).

Best,
Robert

I use such damping rings and get no smearing

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011
When I used elastomeric damping rings, I didn't hear any smearing either-- not until, that is, I heard the lack of smearing with Herbies tube dampers.

carboncopy

Nov 10, 2017
Audiopax Model 88...

I second that.

I wondered why they wasn't mentioned in the first post. They are made to rock the horns.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Arte Forma 805AT monoblocks. 30-35W per monoblock. Beat my extensively modded 1000W JC-1 SS monoblocks for bass extension and control. Amazing reproduction of pipe organ.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Arte Forma 805AT monoblocks. 30-35W per monoblock. Beat my extensively modded 1000W JC-1 SS monoblocks for bass extension and control. Amazing reproduction of pipe organ.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Audiopax Model 88...

I second that.

I wondered why they wasn't mentioned in the first post. They are made to rock the horns.

sorry, but the Audiopax 88s big weak spot is bass. Its more hidden with Avantgardes with adjustable bass.

the more recent Audiopax amps are much better in this regard.

carboncopy

Nov 10, 2017
Could be...I use it with Avantgarde, so no problem with bass here.

I had an Audio Note Quest Silver before with the same horns and the Audiopax is better in almost every regard. In bass too...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The Audiopax doesn't like low impedances, and since I don't know the behaviour of Ron's Gryphons, I didn't even suggest it.

Perhaps the 100W (135W really) Audiopax M100 monos would do the trick, but the 88 really wouldn't work on such big speakers.

Keith, did we try the 88s on your Devores? Or was it still the Zus?

cheers,
alex

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The impedance of the ribbon driver is suggested by Brad to be a fairly flat and relatively easy to drive 6ohm load with 89dB sensitivity.

Many amplifiers can make sound come out of the Pendragons. But with the option of 150w from a single 833 tube why should I consider any other SET?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The impedance of the ribbon driver is suggested by Brad to be a fairly flat and relatively easy to drive 6ohm load with 89dB sensitivity.

Ron - why can't Flemming tell you this information. They are $160,000 speakers for crying out loud. There should be no suggestion and you should know the impedance swings of your speakers at certain frequencies.

Heck, I can call John Devore and get that info in 5 minutes. Sean Casey too. I imagine Flemming will do the same.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing