Movie critics are to blame for poor movie ticket sales!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Wouldn't want to point any fingers at the atrocities people call movies these days... or the studio execs that force them to make stuff everyone knows fans will hate.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Make good original films and the moviegoers will come out. The last two Pirates films were jokes. They thought they could jam another one down our throats. The Hollywood execs should just look in a mirror. They are to blame, not RT. I guess it doesn't matter when a film gets a great score on RT and the fans turn out. Please own up to your own incompetence.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I do not pay attention to reviews or critics so you can't blame them for what I choose to see. Blame the studios for making movies based on comic book characters, movies that rely on car chases and explosions, slasher films,...... well you get the idea.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
one of the dumbest things I've seen coming out of the studios.

like who thought a parody Baywatch and Pirates were good ideas last weekend - and a King Arthur reboot (like the 5x its been done and none have made money)

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
You would have thought a Disney would have realized Pirates was a dog when the lead slept through his performance.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Blame the studios for making movies based on comic book characters, movies that rely on car chases and explosions, slasher films,...... well you get the idea.

Since the release of one super heroes movie after another over the past 10 years it is easy to follow the industry where the money is and sadly that's where the money is

Every top name in Hollywood is either loaning their voices for voice overs or they are also starring in these so called block buster movies. Look at the upcoming Tom Cruise movie, The Mummy Returns.Lame ass movies where the pie in the sky is great

So far we are almost half way through 2017 and name one decent memorable movie

As I see it, so far IMO the only decent pending movie for 2017 is Dunkirk

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Problem 1: the average cost of a studio film (w/marketing) is getting toward 100mil now -- everything has to be a blockbuster.
Problem 2: most studios are owned by conglomerates for whom a, say 20mil profit, is a pointless drop in the bucket -- everything has to be a blockbuster.

This is a good chunk of why most interesting stuff is on TV these days. Sucks if you're a movie lover.

As an aside, saw 15 minutes of 'Suicide Squad' while on an elliptical the other day: f-ing unwatchable.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Since the release of one super heroes movie after another over the past 10 years it is easy to follow the industry where the money is and sadly that's where the money is

Every top name in Hollywood is either loaning their voices for voice overs or they are also starring in these so called block buster movies. Look at the upcoming Tom Cruise movie, The Mummy Returns.Lame ass movies where the pie in the sky is great

So far the best movie of '17 for me was "Their Finest". The "Zookeeper's Wife" was pretty good too.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Lost City of Z according to some - but not me.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My wife and I were going on Memorial Day to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie. After looking at movie times to pre-order tickets, forget about it. At >$20 per ticket, we'll just wait 'til it comes on cable. Ticket prices are out of this world.... $12-$15.... maybe....

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
My wife and I were going on Memorial Day to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie. After looking at movie times to pre-order tickets, forget about it. At >$20 per ticket, we'll just wait 'til it comes on cable. Ticket prices are out of this world.... $12-$15.... maybe....

Since we go during the day our ticket prices are $6.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Make good original films and the moviegoers will come out. The last two Pirates films were jokes. They thought they could jam another one down our throats. The Hollywood execs should just look in a mirror. They are to blame, not RT. I guess it doesn't matter when a film gets a great score on RT and the fans turn out. Please own up to your own incompetence.

The Hollywood movie studios aren't concerned about making good movies, they are concerned about making good money.
And if Rotten Tomatoes movie critics goes against the flow, it's RT's fault, not the movie studios.

This is not the way I think, but it's the way Hollywood thinks. ...In general.
The good movies don't make money, only the bad ones with positive reviews. This is the audience's vote, this is the moviegoer's money encouraging Hollywood to make more bad movies.

It's the movie reality we're in, and it goes further into the depth of the industry in making the latest technological advancements, cameras and sound mixes and editing CGI images..., @ the service of superficiality. There is no brain in this industry, it is mainly money entertainment, to escape our sad reality.

Kids go to universities and learn the art of cinema, they get their diplomas and start making films for brainless audiences...guts spilling, blood splattering, cars smashing, guns erupting, people flying, heroes saving our planet. The battle between evil and more evil.

But there are good films, the ones presented @ Cannes. ...And others lost in the obscurity of the vast blinded oceans.
Only very few of those are encouraged by the movie studios, very very few; the ones they'll have to invest on publicity to make money.
But for Pirates flicks with Johnny they blame Rotten Tomatoes film critics for not making $100 million on its opening weekend.

Success is generally measured by the money level and film critic's ratings. There is no clear definition, there is a statistical average from movie generation to generation...from the late 1800's to early 2000s. ...Roughly 150 years less.

Make good original films and only smart audiences will go see them. The movie studios know that, and they are not in the business to attract the smallest audiences.

But it's not only Rotten Tomatoes movie critics that the Hollywood movie industry is blaming for poor revenues @ the box office; it happens in all other sectors of the entertainment world. Classical orchestras are struggling financially (in general) and Hard Core Vulgar Heavy Trash music is number one choice to attract masses of our young people.
Video games; what is selling...hockey, basketball, tennis, soccer, car races, ...or aliens versus humans, armies versus enemies, battleships versus fighter jets, John Wick versus mafioso, Ultraton versus Megaton?

Today advertisement, including movie critics, is big in selling tickets, even bad movie tickets. They are selling the outside, the effects, the superficial, the kabooms, the black waves, the fabricated illusions. If the movie critics and the movie audiences are going to get smarter, Hollywood might start making good movies...a la Cannes festival style, European class.

This is only my overall general view, in this surreal surrounding world. Most movies are soulless, emotionless, brainless. That's what audiences want. ...It's the general trend.
The bigger the screen, the more pixels, the more speakers and subwoofers, the more reds, the more ultra definition and resolution the better the bad films look and sound and generate profits. John Wick has better reviews from Rotten Tomatoes than Jack Reacher. Logan has better reviews than the last Caribbean Pirates. Which is the smartest flick?

Are we not entertained? And who contribute the most if not the filmmakers. ...And everyone else around them; including the publicity, the trailers, the film critics. Hollywood can't afford hiring negative movie critics.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Bob, I don't agree, you can make intelligent original films and makes tons of money. Look at Chris Nolan and what he did with Batman. He took a dead franchise and revitalized it and made three damn good films that made tons of money. Even better, he knew when to stop before the quality went in the tank. Same thing with JJ Abrams. His reboot of Star Trek was fabulous. Unfortunately, he couldn't follow it up with another great film. I will be as blunt as I can be. Coming up with original quality films takes time. As long as Hollywood thinks they can get by and make good money essentially mailing it in, they will. I vote with my wallet. We rarely go to the movies because there is nothing we want to see. I have even put off upgrading my HT room with 4K and Atmos, because of the dearth of worthwhile content. I can enjoy my film collection at 1080p for now. I would rather buy a Tesla.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Bob, I don't agree, you can make intelligent original films and makes tons of money. Look at Chris Nolan and what he did with Batman. He took a dead franchise and revitalized it and made three damn good films that made tons of money. Even better, he knew when to stop before the quality went in the tank. Same thing with JJ Abrams. His reboot of Star Trek was fabulous. Unfortunately, he couldn't follow it up with another great film. I will be as blunt as I can be. Coming up with original quality films takes time. As long as Hollywood thinks they can get by and make good money essentially mailing it in, they will. I vote with my wallet. We rarely go to the movies because there is nothing we want to see. I have even put off upgrading my HT room with 4K and Atmos, because of the dearth of worthwhile content. I can enjoy my film collection at 1080p for now. I would rather buy a Tesla.

Joe, I love social discussions on everything, music and films included.
I like Chris Nolan's Interstellar and Memento and Inception and The Prestige and remake of Insomnia and his take on Batman with his own trilogy.
I like his style, his music score's choices, his collaboration with the other cinema industry artists...film music composers, actor's direction, decor sets, storylines, camera angles, dialog, overall film impact.

Batman (the three films) were tastefully done. Are they smart films? Yes in some ways (artistically, entertainment) and not necessarily brilliant intellectual films. We have to first define "intelligent" films. It can vary as much as the number of film watchers. But yes, his Batman trilogy is the best of all Batman movies, IMO. And I love the dark tones and the music scores, very.

Star Trek; I've never been a fan personally. ...Even as a kid. J.J. Abrams uses a shaky camera style and strobe lights with flashes crossing the screen in many of his sci-fi flicks; I'm not a fan of that style.

I'm the type who would love to be part of the Cannes film festival every year and see all the world best filmmakers's masterpieces.
I benefit much more intellectually from films well photographed natural and emotionally transforming music scores and stories that hit the soul and spirit and heart directly.
Christopher Nolan's I like, Michael Mann I like too, and Chinese and Japanese and Italian and French some filmmakers, the best of the best.

* Bonus:

The Invisible Guest (Contratiempo - 2016 - Spain)
... Interesting film with many qualities that fit my cinema bill - mind games ... I recommend personally.

_____

It's not how big and how loud, it's how impregnating the effect a film has on a person's emotional/intellectual level.
... How it makes one's chords vibrating in artistic visuals and musical poetry.
There are no requirements for emotional impact, for intelligent films; just artistically talented and intelligent filmmakers and viewers who see and feel in our own unique universal vision. I have never met another person in real life who had exactly the same emotions and intellectual satisfactions as the woman walking across my field.

To come back with Batman's trilogy (Nolan's take); they are of the better super hero flavor. Entertainingly satisfying to the senses.
Other satisfying trilogies to me: The Lord of the Rings (Peter Jackson), Once Upon a Time (Sergio Leone), The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola).

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Movie critics are to blame for poor movie ticket sales!

...and spoons are the root cause for making people fat...

I hate the day common sense was lost. It's just a damned shame. I wonder what "Ferris Beauller's Day Off" or "Office Space" critics had to say. Both have become classics.

Whatever. It is what it is. Carry on...

Tom

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
There has definitely been a shortage of movies I was interested in seeing so far this year.

Hope there are some interesting things coming up. I keep checking.

One pleasant surprise in moving to Tucson from LA is the price for movie tickets. Matinee tickets at my local "fancier" theater cost a whopping $5.25 and are only $4.25 at the less fancy but still decent theater a little further away.

Downside is we have to wait a little longer to get "artsy" movies here and travel a little further to the one theater in town that features more esoteric films.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing