Nedd help for SF Guarneri Memento

dtm

May 30, 2017
Hello guys,

I am a happy owner of Sonus Faber.
Cremona M & Guarneri Memento.

My Guarneri Memento are very sensitive to the ambient temperature.
In winters, in one of my rooms, it does not make more than 14 ° C.
High frequencies appear to be matt
In summer everything goes in order.
I think the ferrofluid is a bit " frozen " when it's cold.

I will therefore remove the tweeter to check the condition of the coil and eventually replace the ferrofluid.

I often remove the speakers on many speakers and this is easy.

On the Guarneri Memento, it is impossible to remove this one, once the screws are removed, the speaker seems glued.

Has any of you ever done this work on this model?

Is there a special procedure for removing the speaker?

Thank you in advance for your help.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hello guys,

I am a happy owner of Sonus Faber.
Cremona M & Guarneri Memento.

My Guarneri Memento are very sensitive to the ambient temperature.
In winters, in one of my rooms, it does not make more than 14 ° C.
High frequencies appear to be matt
In summer everything goes in order.
I think the ferrofluid is a bit " frozen " when it's cold.

I will therefore remove the tweeter to check the condition of the coil and eventually replace the ferrofluid.

I often remove the speakers on many speakers and this is easy.

On the Guarneri Memento, it is impossible to remove this one, once the screws are removed, the speaker seems glued.

Has any of you ever done this work on this model?

Is there a special procedure for removing the speaker?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello dtm, having just read your post,and as an owner of the Guarneri Homage....I would Absolutely NOT try and remove the tweeters! I cannot think of a reason why the ferrofluid should be touched or for that matter why it would be impacted to such a degree by the temperature that you are reporting.
I would suggest that you look at other possible issues upstream as the cause of your problems. Lastly, if all else fails, a conversation with your Sonus Faber dealer would be warranted....just do not take the speakers apart before this!!

dtm

May 30, 2017
Hello DaveyF,

Thank you for your answer and your advice.
I have tried the Guarneri in several of my systems and with different cables.
The problem remains the same.
It sometimes happens with a tweeter that the ferrofluid becomes hard with time and reduces the efficiency of the speaker.
I have several systems and these speakers are installed in a room where the deviations of temperature are important, besides I listen to them only a few hours a month, which accentuates the effect.
So I really think the tweeters do not work properly.
I would like to do this work myself because it is very difficult to find a serious and meticulous repairman.
Even through its distributor, generally the devices are entrusted to small independent repairers who do not take care of the material entrusted to them.
Only possible solution for me, send them directly to Sonus Faber in Italy, but it would be quite expensive.

Again thank you for your advice

Best Regards

dtm

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
dtm, I don't know where you are located, but you should try and contact your 'local' SF dealer...or at least someone that is connected with the manufacturer before attempting repairs...like I said before. Even if that means contacting SF in Italy for their advice. You are assuming that the tweeters have failed, which while possible, is not by any means the only cause for your findings. The SF GM's are not that old a design that the tweeters should have failed due to age. OTOH, IF you have blown your tweeters with too much power or some other type of issue, then repairs may well be necessary....I would suggest by an authorized factory rep only.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi dim,

Would you be willing to subject the tweeters to blown with warm air from a hair dryer?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing