A cool drink of Aqua Formula

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I've seen quite a bit of commentary on the Aqua Formula DAC so I thought I'd post a little review. If enough folks are interested and / or have Aqua HiFi gear, please let me know via comments. Thanks in advance for your time :)

Aqua Formula review (as compared to the Esoteric K-03)

Bits from the past
In 2013 after some time with Burson and Bel Canto DACs I decided to upgrade to an Esoteric K-07. I really enjoyed the increased clarity, dynamics, tight, powerful bass and wider and deeper soundstage. I then moved up to the D-05 DAC and matching P-05 transport and finally the K-03 a few years ago. The K-03 received rave reviews and was an all – purpose unit that was capable of SACD and CD playback plus a DAC and preamp sculpted in an all - aluminum chassis weighing a hefty 65 lbs. Certainly a good bang for the ol’ audio $.

Digital fast forward
However, over the past few years I heard several ladder DACs such as the Aries Cerat (Joshua the Aries Cerat dealer lives close by) and TotalDAC. What struck me was the “character” of both DACs which mine lacked. More specifically, a sense of air and tonal accuracy (more analog – like) with increased clarity.

Which lead me to the possible purchase of (in no particular order) a) TotalDAC b) Lampizator or C) Aqua HiFi
Ultimately I chose and purchased the Aqua HiFi DAC three weeks ago.

The sound - a formula for success or failure?
After a recommended 250 hours break – in I would characterize the Aqua Formula as slightly romantic yet explicit in detail. Here’s what I mean:
While listening to a Nat King Cole - the Extraordinary & Unissued SHM CD I was initially struck by the level of micro dynamics in Nat’s voice. The realism was eery and reminds me of my time in recording studios in my youth while listening to virgin playback. You are there ^squared.
Also, the Formula puts as they say, more meat on the bones versus the Esoteric without smothering the highs as is so often, no sacrifice to high end detail here.

Switching to a Billy Joel for Millennials – Gavin DeGraw on his Chariot Stripped CD opening track, I was struck by the fact that for the first time I was able to clearly decipher a first verse acoustic guitar chord left of center (Maj7) – good stuff for sure.

I recall after about 40 hours of break – in the bass seemed bloated and literally louder than mids and highs. However, after adequate break – in my worries were over. The bass is articulate, tight and a perfect match for highs and mids. Amazing to me how some still doubt break – in is real.

There and back again
I find that biggest sonic differences are detected not so much when you initially try a new piece of gear or cable, but more so when you switch back to your old gear. This proved to be quite true; a few real - time listening notes going back to the Esoteric:
- Instantly noticed the thinness of vocals.
- High hat open <-> close - more of a "ffft" than a "ssst"
- More flubbery / loose bass
- Accordion fuzzier, less detailed, less depth
- Slightly smaller sound stage
- Analogous to more freeze – dried sounding

Aqua – Glass half full or half empty?
It should come as no surprise that the Aqua Hifi Formula is a keeper. This is no slight on the Esoteric K-03 which is now a 6+ year old technology all – in - one tank that received exemplary reviews when released. For those that favor heavier rock and metal and / or who fancy spinning CDs and SACDs all for $10K new it’s a great unit. But step up in price and forward in time along with HQPlayer upsampling sonic benefits the Formula is one tall cool drink of Aqua I greatly enjoy that’s – dare I say a step and a half closer to - ultimate digital (I bet you thought I was gonna say analogue)!! :cool:

Happy listening to all, always!

Steve B.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loco57

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Congrats, Steve!
Love your description, "slightly romantic yet explicit in detail". The detail (& naturalness) are due to the R2R topology, and the romanticism is most likely the output stage.
The bass is indeed problematic at first, but with proper burn-in time, it tightens up. Further improvement in the bass can be had by putting it on third party footers (thanks for that tip, Mike L!)
Are you using it with HQplayer then? Or still on Jriver, as per your signature?
Also, try to use the XLR outputs!

BTW, we're going to show the Aqua Formula + SGM on the LA Show next weekend, if anybody in the area is curious about its performance!

cheers,
alex

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Congrats, Steve!
Love your description, "slightly romantic yet explicit in detail". The detail (& naturalness) are due to the R2R topology, and the romanticism is most likely the output stage.
The bass is indeed problematic at first, but with proper burn-in time, it tightens up. Further improvement in the bass can be had by putting it on third party footers (thanks for that tip, Mike L!)
Are you using it with HQplayer then? Or still on Jriver, as per your signature?
Also, try to use the XLR outputs!

BTW, we're going to show the Aqua Formula + SGM on the LA Show next weekend, if anybody in the area is curious about its performance!

cheers,
alex

Thanks Alex. I have mine on Stillpoint minis and am using XLR outs - I talked to Mike too before buying mine. :) Also, I have very recently purchased HQPlayer and with what little experimenting I have done it does sound better than JRiver but I think I expected more of a jump in sonics. Maybe it's my settings, maybe my music PC, maybe a bit of both, not sure.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Nice! So all the necessary precautions were taken :)
As for HQplayer, make sure you're upsampling everything to PCM 24/384, and using one of the "closed-form" filters. That's the best sounding filter family for the Aqua, IMHO...

cheers,
alex

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
As for HQplayer, make sure you're upsampling everything to PCM 24/384, and using one of the "closed-form" filters. That's the best sounding filter family for the Aqua, IMHO...

cheers,
alex

Thanks Alex. With HQPlayer I have it at 24/384 PCM upsampling so I guess I'm on target. :)
Also, I go back and forth between poly sync ext and closed form. I am surprised that the cpu usage is fairly low considering I heard some quoting ~80%, mine is around 20% with an i5.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
I am very happy with my Formula too. I liked the "slightly romantic yet explicit in detail" too.

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Thanks Alex. With HQPlayer I have it at 24/384 PCM upsampling so I guess I'm on target. :)
Also, I go back and forth between poly sync ext and closed form. I am surprised that the cpu usage is fairly low considering I heard some quoting ~80%, mine is around 20% with an i5.

PCM upsampling is much less demanding than PCM->DSD

Reactions: pjwd

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
So now I have to come over to your place and listen to it. You know, you're gonna force me to upgrade!

You are always welcome Steve!! And your digital sounds pretty darn good to me. :D

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
PCM upsampling is much less demanding than PCM->DSD

I thought the Formula (and the Aqua La Scala) can play without a filter? If correct, will it sound best sending data at the resident sample rate of the file, as the up sampling procedure was in effect to try to negate any filter ringing etc affecting the sound. Maybe worth trying to see how it sounds.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Congratulations Steven! I am curious to hear this as well so look forward to your next 5one2 party at your place.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Congratulations Steven! I am curious to hear this as well so look forward to your next 5one2 party at your place.

Thanks Joshua! Doing some fine tuning and getting used to HQPlayer. Hence my inquiry wrt Roon.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014

cheers,
alex
Hi Alex, in the PCM settings what do you select in the Dither section ?
1x Filter and Nx Filter both closed-form ?
Thanks

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
While I’m waiting on a reply from Aqua I thought one of you guys may know how to update the firmware? on my XHDv2.

It’s currently showing as Aqua XHD under Taiko USB driver and will not identify as supporting Native DSD. It should say Aqua XHD 2.0 as the recognised device And support Native DSD.

Cheers
Blue58

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Turns out early XHD models require a hardware/firmware upgrade to bring them up to XHD2 standard. No mention of this online but Christian kindly offered me the upgrade.
problem solved, thank you.

Blue58

bluedoor

Jun 19, 2013
Do any of Aqua Formula owners had replaced the fuse on it?
It's not in the usual place near the power plug, so i think that we have to open the lid.
It's an easy job? Anyone can do it or it's better to take it to the dealer?
Thanks in advance for your help!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing