Antipodes

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Do you guys know how much I truly HATE computer audio?
LOL
I've read in a review somewhere the user interface w the DX is a bit non intuitive.
TBH, as a computer dunce of the highest (lowest?) order, this could be pivotal in me not investing in Antipodes.
Maybe it's a function of me having free access to SGM for 18 months now, but navigating myself around Blue58's SGM/Roon/HQP > T&A Dac8 digital front end seems about as easy as I'm likely to find negotiating computer audio, and for me this is as much a selling point (if not actually more important) than headline SQ.

Last edited:

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
The interface is exactly the same: Roon and Roon:D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do you guys know how much I truly HATE computer audio?
LOL
I've read in a review somewhere the user interface w the DX is a bit non intuitive.
TBH, as a computer dunce of the highest (lowest?) order, this could be pivotal in me not investing in Antipodes.
Maybe it's a function of me having free access to SGM for 18 months now, but navigating myself around Blue58's SGM/Roon/HQP > T&A Dac8 digital front end seems about as easy as I'm likely to find negotiating computer audio, and for me this is as much a selling point (if not actually more important) than headline SQ.

You should get then get a dac that will allow you to connect directly via Ethernet bypassing the Server. I recommend meridian ultra since then we can all enjoy reading exchanges between you and MQAtruth.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The dCS has the Ethernet input in Roon Ready mode - no audiophile server is necessary.

Theoretically no, and I hope that probably someone will soon develop a kind of specific router with just two "noise-free" Ethernet connections to "purify" the Ethernet data stream.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, I've always resisted the charms of Meridian over the years, I'm not going to change now.
Do I take it you've given up trying to get me to relent to the Lampi tide? That's not like you at all
No, I have my eye on a possible giant killer R2R dac at $4-5k, which will ease the move to pricey server ownership a whole lot.
My idea is to start w this dac and entry level server eg Auralic Aries or Inuous Zen, and if I truly get the streaming bug, go Antipodes DX, Computer Audio Design CAT or SGM.
The bespoke PSUs I've commissioned for my tt and Straingauge are as far as I'm going on further analog spend, Apogees not going to happen, so freeing up this last major upgrade budget on a quality server/dac combination for 2018.
This cheaper dac really opens up the opportunity to jump in for SGM, but I need to investigate if I get nearly as much at the 50% cheaper Antipodes.
Will HQP and variety of filter settings and amazingly low noise flr SGM be enough to get my money, or will the DX be compelling at lower entry ticket?

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Would be a curious move to put more effort /£££...into the server over the DAC...at least in ny experience of computer audio but where the ears lead...wallets shall open

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Can the Antipodes DX guys confirm the negative report in the recent NL review of poor/non intuitive computer interface?
I thought Tidal/Roon was meant to make all this a piece of cake?
Certainly navigating Blue58's SGM server HQP > Tidal > Roon > IPad, is probably as easy as it gets
What are the Antipodes DX quibbles on ease of use, and why if it supports Roon?
I ask all this because I may have found a killer dac for c£4K that appears to giant kill dacs 3-4x the cost, and the option to move to a pricier server like Antipodes DX, Computer Audio Design CAT, SGM, is now a real possibility for me.
Now, user friendliness becomes the decider.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Which review are you referring to?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I thought the HiFi-Advice review commented a bit on interface?
Maybe another one
For me, ease of use of SGM plus HQP filters may swing it
However SGM is 2x price of DX

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nothing in Hifi advice. He loved it. Much more than N10 looks like sonically, and he seems to have found it equally easy, and having operated the Aurender, it is very simple.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Just checked the HiFi Advice review. This is what it says about the Antipodes GUI:
“The Antipodes GUI web interface looks clean and professional and works intuitively. Just like with VortexBox you can log in to the server via any web browser. If you don’t know your server’s IP address, you can find it by typing “myantipodes.com” in the search bar.”
Anyway, I’ve had a chance to compare Lampi SK and Antipodes, and from usability stand-point it is night and day. For example, to copy your music to Antipodes, you just open your computer file browser and you see Antipodes storage in the network places, so it just becomes simple copy and paste exercise. With the SK I had to buy a separate hard disk housing. So you remove an sssd drive from the SK, put it in the housing, connect to a computer, copy music, then put the disk back in the SK.
I do not know how you change HQplayer settings on SGM, but you need a VNC client in order to do it with the SK. Very unpleasant experience, especially if you try to do it from an iPad. In contrast, all the Antipodes settings are managed through a simple web interface. You do it once, about 5 clicks, and then it is just Roon you deal with.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My bad Abeidrov, I thought I'd picked up on negative comments on DX user interface
DX doesn't do HQP, does it?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
It does sort of - you need to install HQP on a separate computer.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure, will bear in mind.
My cdp is sounding so stellar atm, I remain gently LOL irritated that I have to consider a server/dac.
DX is on my shortlist and will get around to a decision in due course.
Certainly "discovering" a new kid on the block DAC at a totally manageable price for supposed stellar SQ makes spending a bit more on the server more of a possibility.
Having had continued contact w SGM and familiarity w the upstick in sound as a result of HQP and different filters means it may be something I feel I can't do w'out.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It does sort of - you need to install HQP on a separate computer.

Apples to oranges. Antipodes does not have HQ Player. You can install Jriver or Roon on SK and run it exclusivery with an iPad too.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
No, you cannot. You would still need a VNC client to change any settings on the SK. You can run a VNC client from an Ipad, but it is not a pleasant experience, believe me:)
SK is a great product, but it has a long way to go, when it comes to the ease of use.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
No, you cannot. You would still need a VNC client to change any settings on the SK. You can run a VNC client from an Ipad, but it is not a pleasant experience, believe me:)
SK is a great product, but it has a long way to go, when it comes to the ease of use.

It all depends what software you are using.

I have Roon server installed right now and THE ONLY thing you need is an iPad. In fact, even if you connect a monitor (or connect via a remote desktop) there is ZERO settings you can change in Roon the regular way (using keybord / mouse) as Roon server has no GUI. All roon settings are only accessible via the iPad.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Very interesting. So, you don’t use HQP + Roon? Just Roon? Have you compared the sound of HQP + Roon to Roon only?
Even if you run Roon exclusively, you would still need a VNC client to update the operating system, format an sssd drive or check how much space you still have.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Adam, did you get the new SK or is it still the older model?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
No I have the original one with server board, SSD battery PSU and full linear ATX PSU (that were both deemed by ?ukasz too expensive to be offered as a part of DSD komputer).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing