Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Antipodes

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Barry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    ...I really am not a computer audio natural...there are Japanese WW2 fighter pilots lost on an isolated Pacific island that have more computer skills than me. My current $12.5k cdp is truly making some great sounds, and I'm actually miffed that the world has gone to dump physical media so comprehensively. Btw, how many TB are standard on the DX, and how much for each extra TB?
    LOL. Not to fear. Those last few fighter pilots are all in the their 90s and will soon be resting in peace. I'm at least at 4th grade level, but agree that learning all there is to know about servers is truly daunting. I feel the same way about my cdp and the thought of spending days on end ripping hundreds of them to a file server is not my idea of a good time either.

The USD MSRP prices for the standard DX Gen 3 model I saw were $7,750 for 1TB ranging to $17,200 for 8TB so interpolate for anything in between. A little hard to believe the pricing since you can buy an 8TB external computer hard drive here for $200.

I'm in the same boat as you and hoping it doesn't sink before I reach the Promised Land....

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    A little hard to believe the pricing since you can buy an 8TB external computer hard drive here for $200.
    The SSD type storage previously referred is rather more expensive than HDD spinning discs and currently costs @300 per TB.
    Owner www.sablonaudio.com, PF & 6M award winning custom audio cables

Dealer for SGM Music Server

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Actually, I'd prob order any server with a minimum of ssd storage.
    I love my cdp so much that I'm not going to rip any, or only v few, cds
    I'll stick w playing my current 1.5k cds on my Eera, and new Tidal searches on the new rig
    Since they're on Tidal, there'll be no need to have to rip.
    So extra ssd storage for me is unnecessary.
    For me a decision to go Antipodes DX is whether it's the right choice over Aurender W10 on the basis of my favoured aspects of sound reproduction ie organic, textured, palpable mids and upper bass, and analog like jump factor in good recordings
    I certainly get this w my current Eera cdp
    And much of this is evident on the lovely SGM server I'm v familiar with
    But w Antipodes at half cost of SGM, my decisions are based on organic sound and user friendly interface, and the latter is esp well served by the SGM

Addicted to Best!
    Hi Marc

Is the LampizatOr SuperKomputer already out of the race?

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    Actually, I'd prob order any server with a minimum of ssd storage.
    I love my cdp so much that I'm not going to rip any, or only v few, cds
    I'll stick w playing my current 1.5k cds on my Eera, and new Tidal searches on the new rig
    Since they're on Tidal, there'll be no need to have to rip.
    So extra ssd storage for me is unnecessary.
    For me a decision to go Antipodes DX is whether it's the right choice over Aurender W10 on the basis of my favoured aspects of sound reproduction ie organic, textured, palpable mids and upper bass, and analog like jump factor in good recordings
    I certainly get this w my current Eera cdp
    And much of this is evident on the lovely SGM server I'm v familiar with
    But w Antipodes at half cost of SGM, my decisions are based on organic sound and user friendly interface, and the latter is esp well served by the SGM
    The Antipodes interface is the same as in SGM: Roon minus HQplayer. And although the latter is an excellent product, after extensively testing it on the Lampi SK, I felt that Roon by itself provides the same sound quality with a much better interface and ease of use. First I was really excited to try different HQplayer setting, upsampling, filters. But after a month of continuing fiddling with various settings and reading different forums to find the best one, I got really tired. In the end, I decided to stop any upsampling and conversion of PCM to DSD and now I listen to all formats in its native forms.

Quote Originally Posted by christoph View Post
    Hi Marc

Is the LampizatOr SuperKomputer already out of the race?
    This is another good contender especially taking into account the fact, that the new model with an upgraded power supply is coming out soon.

Nothing's out in particular.
    I have in depth regular exposure to SGM, and this has been such a positive experience, it's swung me twds streaming, and is technically in pole position, despite it's price tag.
    There's some interesting developments that may take it even further, and I love it's synergy w T&A Dac8 esp at upsampled 512dsd.
    For 16k it's a great first and last step.
    I'm one of the few on here who's not a Lampi fanboy, feeling GG on SGM was beaten easily by Dac8 on SGM at the same demo.
    Not everyone in the room agreed, but Heck, I'm the consumer, and only my opinion matters to me.
    I've never been convinced by TotalDac either, so I'm not convinced I want tubes in my digital.
    Or analog for that matter.
    For me I'm looking at a few levels.
    Oppo Sonica 1k.
    Innuous Zenith/Yggy or La Voce 5k.
    Antipodes DX/La Voce 10k
    CAD/CAT 15k.
    Antipodes DX/Formula 20k.
    SGM/Dac8 20k.
    Lampi may not make my shortlist
    Last edited by spiritofmusic; 09-18-2017 at 08:46 AM.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    if you're contemplating 20k territory...then might be useful to benchmark the dCS Rossini DAC (GBP17k)..it is a Roon endpoint...and if you want to predominantly stream....a straightforward install.
    Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Indra; Preamp: Spectral Audio DMC-30SS; Amps: Spectral Audio DMA 360v2 Monoblocks; Analog Cables: MIT Oracle; Power Cables: MIT Oracle; Digital: Bespoke Server [AO WinS 16, HDPlex 400 LPS, Pachanko Loom, JCAT FEMTO NET & USB Card / Regen Isolator --> Vivaldi DAC and Clock [ChordMusic Clock Cables; Vertere HB Pulse USB]; Racks: Finite Elemente Pagode Edition HD4 and HD9 Amp Supports. Power: Shunyata Triton & DPC-6 v3

BMCG, I can't contemplate spending more than $20k on a server/dac option
    That would mean pairing this DCS with a $3k server
    TBH, DCS have never done it for me re midrange tone density and upper bass texture
    Uber detail and pin sharp imaging, yes
    But those aren't my objectives

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Marc - got it - no prob. happy hunting!
    Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Indra; Preamp: Spectral Audio DMC-30SS; Amps: Spectral Audio DMA 360v2 Monoblocks; Analog Cables: MIT Oracle; Power Cables: MIT Oracle; Digital: Bespoke Server [AO WinS 16, HDPlex 400 LPS, Pachanko Loom, JCAT FEMTO NET & USB Card / Regen Isolator --> Vivaldi DAC and Clock [ChordMusic Clock Cables; Vertere HB Pulse USB]; Racks: Finite Elemente Pagode Edition HD4 and HD9 Amp Supports. Power: Shunyata Triton & DPC-6 v3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast