Antipodes

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Very interesting. So, you don’t use HQP + Roon? Just Roon? Have you compared the sound of HQP + Roon to Roon only?
Even if you run Roon exclusively, you would still need a VNC client to update the operating system, format an sssd drive or check how much space you still have.

I use Roon exclusively at the moment. I have all Windows automatic updates turned off and Roon updates can be executed from an iPad.

I keep all my music on a NAS - I upload new music all the time and it just shows up in Roon instantly by itself. I don't have to touch my server in any way - via Remote Desktop or otherwise. Roon iPad app is the only thing I use.

It doesn't get easier than this.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Ok, you must have an early version of the SK running windows. The one I had was on Linux and had a docking station for four drives. It also had HQP accesable only through a remote client software.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Ok, you must have an early version of the SK running windows. The one I had was on Linux and had a docking station for four drives. It also had HQP accesable only through a remote client software.

Adam's SK is the prototype for the original SK.

I know because I copied (with his help) his design (CAPSv4 with Elberoth mods).

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
It is just a computer, like the Antipodes server. You can ask ?ukasz to install whatever software you want. BTW - Roon runs on Linux just the same.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I disagree. It is not just a computer. I wouldn't pay $9K for just a computer. Lukasz sells his machine running Linux with HQP + Roon. He thinks, it is the best combination sound wise and I trust him. Why should I ask him to install windows and remove HQP? Roon runs on Linux just the same, but you still need a VNC client to change Linux and HQP settings. This is not the end of the world, but it is less convenient, than the web GUI interface on the Antipodes.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I disagree. It is not just a computer. I wouldn't pay $9K for just a computer. Lukasz sells his machine running Linux with HQP + Roon. He thinks, it is the best combination sound wise and I trust him. Why should I ask him to install windows and remove HQP? Roon runs on Linux just the same, but you still need a VNC client to change Linux and HQP settings. This is not the end of the world, but it is less convenient, than the web GUI interface on the Antipodes.

You can have the Roon installed on Linux WITHOUT the HQ Player (so just like the Antipodes) for which you don't need anything but the iPad.

So, if you take the HQ Player out of the equation, they are no different.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I can’t even transfer my music to the SK without physically removing the drives from it, and you are saying they are no different.
The trouble with the SK is that it is not accesable from you local network.
You should really try Antipodes just to compare the user experience.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have all my music stored on a NAS. Storing music locally on a server makes no sense to me on many levels. When you have music stored on a NAS, you don't have those kinds of problems as the NAS can be easily accessed.

But I'm pretty sure there is a way to access your music folders form another computer. Just make them available on the network (share them). Ask ?ukasz for support or hire some local IT guy to do it for you. It should be a 5 min job for someone knowledgable with Linux.

Longterm, I would strongly advise to get a NAS though - if not for convinience / more storage, then for safety reasons (in case of drive failure). Simple NAS drives - like the Synology 2-bay - are like $200.

toetapaudio

Feb 13, 2017
Forest of Dean UK
Nothing's out in particular.
I have in depth regular exposure to SGM, and this has been such a positive experience, it's swung me twds streaming, and is technically in pole position, despite it's price tag.
There's some interesting developments that may take it even further, and I love it's synergy w T&A Dac8 esp at upsampled 512dsd.
For £16k it's a great first and last step.
I'm one of the few on here who's not a Lampi fanboy, feeling GG on SGM was beaten easily by Dac8 on SGM at the same demo.
Not everyone in the room agreed, but Heck, I'm the consumer, and only my opinion matters to me.
I've never been convinced by TotalDac either, so I'm not convinced I want tubes in my digital.
Or analog for that matter.
For me I'm looking at a few levels.
Oppo Sonica £1k.
Innuous Zenith/Yggy or La Voce £5k.
Antipodes DX/La Voce £10k
CAD/CAT £15k.
Antipodes DX/Formula £20k.
SGM/Dac8 £20k.
Lampi may not make my shortlist

Should consider Mola Mola/Antipodes or Mola Mola/Lumin?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mola Mola not for me, no disrespect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing