Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Antipodes

Antipodes

I recently went from a Bryston BDP2 to the Antipodes DS GT. The differences aren't subtle. I'm just curious why Antipodes isn't talked about as much as some of the other music servers. I never heard of them and only decided to listen on the advice of a friend. I can honestly say, this has been one of my best purchases ever!

I've read that the Antipodes DX 2 is the best standalone server out there, so I'd say that Antipodes is talked about.

I enjoy reading the different forums and I've read almost nothing about Antipodes. I'm not a dealer and have no affiliation with Antipodes. My friend has the Antipodes DX and has compared it to the top of the line Aurender and prefers the Antipodes. I've heard his DX 2, but I've never compared it to anything else. I have compared the Antipodes DS GT to the BDP2 and it's almost sad how much better the DS GT sounds to my ears...every parameter of the music is better.

Quote Originally Posted by limniscate View Post
    It's highly praised in this thread:
    https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/re...ex-box.787020/
    Thanks for the link.

I love the Antipodes DS GT so much, I'm thinking about getting the DX...I think I need counseling! When does it end?

I finally had the opportunity to compare the Antipodes DS GT to DX in my system. I used a Wireworld Platinum USB cable into my Jeff Rowland Aeris DAC, The rest of my system consists of the Jeff Rowland(JR) 625 S2 amp, JR Corus pre-amp. Monitor Audio PL500 II speakers. I was expecting a pretty significant difference, but here are my findings:

1) bass was slightly more articulate through the DX
    2) details were slightly better and a slightly darker background with the DX
    3) singers with the DS GT appears in front of the speakers, creating an illusion of a deeper soundstage compared to the DX
    4) soundstage is wider with the DS GT
    5) more of a three dimensional sound with the DS GT(slightly, not night and day difference)

Overall I prefered the DS GT in "my system"...especially when I already have the DS GT and would loose money if I purchased the DX. Three days ago I reached out to Antipodes to make sure nothing was wrong with the DX or there weren't any updates. I haven't received any feedback. Of course these results were in my system, my wife and I preferred the DS GT, others may prefer the DX.
    My system: Monitor Audio PL500 II, Jeff Rowland(JR) 625 S2 amp, JR Corus preamp, JR Aeris DAC, Antipodes DS GT music server, Wireworld Platinum XLR cables and power cords, Wireworld Silver speaker cable.

How long have you been using DX before doing critical listening? In my case the server reached its peak performance after 7 days of continuous use. Also, you must keep both units powered on at all times, even when you are not listening to a particular model.

Quote Originally Posted by abeidrov View Post
    How long have you been using DX before doing critical listening? In my case the server reached its peak performance after 7 days of continuous use. Also, you must keep both units powered on at all times, even when you are not listening to a particular model.
    I had the DX for six days and it seemed to settle down after 72 hours. Antipodes did respond to my email today. Mark told me that I may have had an earlier version that didn't include the updated USB output. I'll follow-up to make sure the DX I listened to represented the most current DX version. I will post my findings shortly.

Abeidrov, do you have a DX? If so, have you compared it to other music servers? In general what are thoughts on the DX?
    My system: Monitor Audio PL500 II, Jeff Rowland(JR) 625 S2 amp, JR Corus preamp, JR Aeris DAC, Antipodes DS GT music server, Wireworld Platinum XLR cables and power cords, Wireworld Silver speaker cable.

Yes, I have the latest model with the custom USB card, built by Antipodes. So far, I compared it to the Lampizator Superkomputer. To my ears Antipodes is better, although they are quite close.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast