Recommends on a moveable, budget friendly speaker platform

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi all,

My new house (moving in two months to Alto, NM) has carpet in the living room.

Looking for something that I can place my "spiked" MBL's on and move to find the "right" location.

Platform will hopefully offer some isolation benefits and not significantly compromise performance.

The Auaralex products come to mind.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I used small castors on my G1 spirits .. still fiddling 3 weeks later to get the best seating/speaker positions (my seat also has castors)
According to Vivid audio ..I might as well leave them on as they claim there is no difference whether I use their supplied spikes or rubber feet or the Castors
The castors were $1 each...costing me a grand total of $12 for both speakers

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I used small castors on my G1 spirits .. still fiddling 3 weeks later to get the best seating/speaker positions (my seat also has castors)
According to Vivid audio ..I might as well leave them on as they claim there is no difference whether I use their supplied spikes or rubber feet or the Castors
The castors were $1 each...costing me a grand total of $12 for both speakers

Good idea! Simply ask the bolt size of the spikes and order the appropriate casters.

trophysteve

Apr 30, 2015
Hi all,

My new house (moving in two months to Alto, NM) has carpet in the living room.

Looking for something that I can place my "spiked" MBL's on and move to find the "right" location.

Platform will hopefully offer some isolation benefits and not significantly compromise performance.

The Auaralex products come to mind.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I never knew what a big deal this is: the way your speakers interact with the floor. I have tried spikes, stillpoints, symposium products, Mapleshade platforms, etc. and everything had it's pluses and minuses. When I upgraded my speakers to the ML Expression 13a's, I got even more frustrated with the trade offs because this speaker reveals all. The spikes that came with the speaker gave an obvious hardness to leading edges (I have commercial carpet over a concrete slab floor). The rounded cone feet (the other alternative that came with the speaker) didn't have the focus or bass tightness of the spikes. So I did a bunch of research and discovered the Townshend Speaker Podiums. I took the plunge (well there's an ample return policy) and ordered the number 4's (there are various sizes to accommodate the footprint of your speaker--you also have to give them the weight of your speaker so they can adjust the feet of the platform accordingly). When I installed the Speaker Podiums it was once of those shocking OMG moments. We are talking no less than a huge upgrade to every sonic aspect of the speaker. And a huge jump in your connection to the music coming out of it. This is by far the single biggest upgrade I've every made to my system (Pass amp, Shindo pre, Shindo record player, Totaldac D-1)--and that includes component upgrades. Check out the technology on the Townshend site, check out other folks who share my life altering experience. Yes, they are $2K plus, but if they don't do for your speaker what they did for mine, you can return them. There is no burn in, just an instant improvement to the clarity, tonality, sound staging and bass rendering of your speaker. Actually it's more as if someone took your speakers out of your room and you are just left with big, beautiful music stretching beyond the walls. Sorry for sounding a little over the top here, but I feel like it's too big not to share.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi Steve,

Once speaker is on the podium, can you move the podium on carpet?

Are they returnable for a refund?

Any USA contacts?

Thanks

trophysteve

Apr 30, 2015
Hi Steve,

Once speaker is on the podium, can you move the podium on carpet?

Are they returnable for a refund?

Any USA contacts?

Hi,

With some effort I can slide the podiums over the dense pile of my industrial carpet--my speakers weigh just over 100lbs. I doubt I could do the same over thicker carpet.

Yes, I recall the manufacturer offered a 30 day return policy, but I would obviously confirm that with the dealer.

I bought mine from analogseduction in the UK. There is also emporium audio in the UK who are known for selling used ones from audio shows (as well as new). In the US the distributor is ear-usa.com. I just looked on audiogon and saw a couple listed.

You can determine what size you need from Townshend's web site.

Steve

goheelz

Jun 15, 2016
Get yourself some carpet sliders. Easy to use. You can re-spike once you've got the loudspeakers positioned where you like them.

074523070307.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing