$8k Aurender N10 audio performance for lower cost?

James Romeyn

May 27, 2017
Does there exist any single box player/server that equals the N10's audio performance for significantly lower cost? If yes, please list make/model.

I have at my disposal a very high end pure analog balanced preamp. Tidal compatibility is mandatory.

TIA.

Last edited:

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
People get stuck on the DSD train.. Take that file out and you have more options DSD represents 1% of the HiRES files.. Having a pre amp DAC and server in one unit is a lot to pack into one box.. Kind of reminds me of my old Krell KPS 25sc which was a Class A pre, DAC and CD player and let me tell you it wasn't fun as when one part of the puzzle goes bad the unit is down.. I went specifically with a separate Pre and a server that does 196/24 and internet radio as I don't want tidal and DSD is not to my ears that superior to a good WAV file

I use a Krell connect which is connected to a NAS server

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
ro7939,

The Aurender N10 is just a server, you'd still need a DAC. Do you have one already?
If a server is all you want, at a lower cost, you can check out the Innuos line (http://innuos.com). Their products start at $1300 and the top of the line Zenith is $3300 with SSD drives.
They work as a pure file server on the network, or as a USB-connected Roon server/player.

cheers,
alex

James Romeyn

May 27, 2017
ro7939,

The Aurender N10 is just a server, you'd still need a DAC. Do you have one already?
No. I'm more concerned about the server/player than the DAC. I shall spend more on the former, intending to keep it longer than the latter. Not critical whether the server/player has onboard HD/SSD.

If a server is all you want, at a lower cost, you can check out the Innuos line (http://innuos.com). Their products start at $1300 and the top of the line Zenith is $3300 with SSD drives. They work as a pure file server on the network, or as a USB-connected Roon server/player.

Alex,
Thanks. Do you have reason to believe either approximates the N10's audio performance?

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
What do you mean by 'N10's audio performance' ? USB Audio out ?

James Romeyn

May 27, 2017
What do you mean by 'N10's audio performance' ? USB Audio out ?

Yes. The AB system employed superb DAC and power amps (estimate $30k+ total) > large current Wilson speakers in appropriate room. The AB system revealed that the N10's USB output provided significantly better audio performance v. the N100's USB output.

Cheers.

James

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I'm testing right now the following combo:

SOtM sMS-200 endpoint ($450) + Jcat USB Isolator ($400) + Wyred 4 Sound Recovery ($200) USB regenerator unit
2x UpTone Audio LPS-1 Supercapacitor PSU ($340) - one for SOtM sMS-200 and one for Wyred 4 Sound Recovery
UpTone Audio JS-2 linear PSU ($900) - powering both LPS-1 units

I don't have the Aurender W20 on hand anymore, but I feel they beat the W20 in terms of SQ and convinience (Roon beats all music management apps in my book). The total cost of this combo is ~$2700, not including a PC/Mac needed to run Roon and possibly a NAS to store the music.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

SOtM sMS-200 endpoint ($450) + Jcat USB Isolator ($400) + Wyred 4 Sound Recovery ($200) USB regenerator unit
2x UpTone Audio LPS-1 Supercapacitor PSU ($340) - one for SOtM sMS-200 and one for Wyred 4 Sound Recovery

I don't have the Aurender W20 on hand anymore, but I feel they beat the W20 in terms of SQ and convinience (Roon beats all music management apps in my book). The total cost of this combo is ~$2700, not including a PC/Mac needed to run Roon and possibly a NAS to store the music.

Thanks this is exactly what many are waiting for

James Romeyn

May 27, 2017

Thank you very much. That's exactly the kind of reply I desired. Do you suspect the N10 and W20 have similar audio performance?

On the one hand that's a high number of pieces to replace one server/player, but more than reasonable considering the value and audio excellence.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing