Thread: $8k Aurender N10 audio performance for lower cost?

$8k Aurender N10 audio performance for lower cost?

Does there exist any single box player/server that equals the N10's audio performance for significantly lower cost? If yes, please list make/model.

I have at my disposal a very high end pure analog balanced preamp. Tidal compatibility is mandatory.

TIA.
    Last edited by ro7939; 05-27-2017 at 02:19 PM.

People get stuck on the DSD train.. Take that file out and you have more options DSD represents 1% of the HiRES files.. Having a pre amp DAC and server in one unit is a lot to pack into one box.. Kind of reminds me of my old Krell KPS 25sc which was a Class A pre, DAC and CD player and let me tell you it wasn't fun as when one part of the puzzle goes bad the unit is down.. I went specifically with a separate Pre and a server that does 196/24 and internet radio as I don't want tidal and DSD is not to my ears that superior to a good WAV file

I use a Krell connect which is connected to a NAS server

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    ro7939,

The Aurender N10 is just a server, you'd still need a DAC. Do you have one already?
    If a server is all you want, at a lower cost, you can check out the Innuos line (http://innuos.com). Their products start at $1300 and the top of the line Zenith is $3300 with SSD drives.
    They work as a pure file server on the network, or as a USB-connected Roon server/player.

cheers,
    alex
    Disclosure:
    Alma Music and Audio - San Diego, CA
    Aqua Hi-Fi - Audio Research - Audioquest - Audiopax - Auralic - Aurender - Bergmann - Brodmann - D'Agostino - darTZeel - Devialet - DEQX - ELAC - Evolution Acoustics - Hegel - iFi - Innuos - IsoTek - Kii Audio - Koetsu - Kubala Sosna - Kuzma - Larsen - Linn - MSB Technology - Music Hall - Ortofon - Roon - Solid Steel - Sound Galleries Music Server - Technics - Wharfedale - Wilson Audio - YG Acoustics
    [ http://almaaudio.com ]

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    ro7939,

The Aurender N10 is just a server, you'd still need a DAC. Do you have one already?
    No. I'm more concerned about the server/player than the DAC. I shall spend more on the former, intending to keep it longer than the latter. Not critical whether the server/player has onboard HD/SSD.

If a server is all you want, at a lower cost, you can check out the Innuos line (http://innuos.com). Their products start at $1300 and the top of the line Zenith is $3300 with SSD drives. They work as a pure file server on the network, or as a USB-connected Roon server/player.
    Alex,
    Thanks. Do you have reason to believe either approximates the N10's audio performance?
    Last edited by ro7939; 05-28-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Elberoth's Avatar
    What do you mean by 'N10's audio performance' ? USB Audio out ?
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: MSB M202 / D'Agostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Golden Gate DSD only + Lampi DSD Komputer server
    Cables: AudioQuest WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    What do you mean by 'N10's audio performance' ? USB Audio out ?
    Yes. The AB system employed superb DAC and power amps (estimate $30k+ total) > large current Wilson speakers in appropriate room. The AB system revealed that the N10's USB output provided significantly better audio performance v. the N100's USB output.

Cheers.

James

Lumin U1 is better than Aurender N10, and a little bit cheaper.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Elberoth's Avatar
    I'm testing right now the following combo:

SOtM sMS-200 endpoint ($450) + Jcat USB Isolator ($400) + Wyred 4 Sound Recovery ($200) USB regenerator unit
    2x UpTone Audio LPS-1 Supercapacitor PSU ($340) - one for SOtM sMS-200 and one for Wyred 4 Sound Recovery
    UpTone Audio JS-2 linear PSU ($900) - powering both LPS-1 units

I don't have the Aurender W20 on hand anymore, but I feel they beat the W20 in terms of SQ and convinience (Roon beats all music management apps in my book). The total cost of this combo is ~$2700, not including a PC/Mac needed to run Roon and possibly a NAS to store the music.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: MSB M202 / D'Agostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Golden Gate DSD only + Lampi DSD Komputer server
    Cables: AudioQuest WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries

SOtM sMS-200 endpoint ($450) + Jcat USB Isolator ($400) + Wyred 4 Sound Recovery ($200) USB regenerator unit
    2x UpTone Audio LPS-1 Supercapacitor PSU ($340) - one for SOtM sMS-200 and one for Wyred 4 Sound Recovery

I don't have the Aurender W20 on hand anymore, but I feel they beat the W20 in terms of SQ and convinience (Roon beats all music management apps in my book). The total cost of this combo is ~$2700, not including a PC/Mac needed to run Roon and possibly a NAS to store the music.
    Thanks this is exactly what many are waiting for
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Thank you very much. That's exactly the kind of reply I desired. Do you suspect the N10 and W20 have similar audio performance?

On the one hand that's a high number of pieces to replace one server/player, but more than reasonable considering the value and audio excellence.