Saying Hello from the U.K. help needed

barrie

May 26, 2017
Hi everyone I've just joined the Forum Today after Purchasing a Macintosh MC2102 Power Amp and a Audio research SP9, Ive just moved over from Naim Audio with was getting a little boring, The speakers I'm using at the moment are Linn Sara but I've got a pair of full Rebuilt Quad ESL63 on the way.. only problem is have I miss matched the Pre Amp as the sound isn't as good as I thought it was little week in the bass and a little coloured or am I expecting a little to much from a valve setup.. I didn't audition either as the amp came from Spain and I'm in the U.K.
I am also looking for a suitable CD for my system nothing to expensive Please

Thanks for taking the time to look at my thread and help would be much appreciated

Barrie

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Hulloo Barrie, welcome to the forum

How do know it's the pre amp at fault?
I have an arc sp14 and it's none of the things you describe....bass is superb and overall presentation I would describe as 'huge'
Macintosh I can't vouch for, they have little traction in the uk. They are popular in the US, where they are heavily marketed.
Have you thought about your overall system synergy?
Just throwing together random components is rarely successful....

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing