Cary 1610-SE amplifier

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is anyone familiar with this amplifier?

How does the 1610-SE sound and behave compared to similar power Ayon or NAT Audio SET amplifiers?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Is anyone familiar with this amplifier?

How does the 1610-SE sound and behave compared to similar power Ayon or NAT Audio SET amplifiers?

No idea for the Cary, but the same tube in a Kronzilla (the amp it was designed for) sounds pretty darn good.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
I have owned a pair of 1610's since they first came out - about 18 or 19 years. They are built like tanks. Normal maintenance has been done - replaced electrolytic caps in the power supply a couple years ago. While it was back for service, I had the BNCs on the back switched to RCA (to eliminate an adaptor), had the rectifier upgraded to hexfreds, replaced the coupling caps with Teflon caps. I have also had custom power connectors made to route the AC from the lower deck to the upper deck. Also replaced the stock cable for signal from 300B to 1610 stage with a custom cable. I ran it with single ended RCAs from the Aesthetix Io for years, but at one point switched to balanced cables from the Io. Even thought it is single-ended topology, it sounded "better" (to me).

Overall, this amp has a beguiling presence range. Singers are just there in the room, instrumentalists sound like they are there playing their instruments. All the desirable audiophile attributes in spades - soundstage, air, high and low extension.

It does take speaker and room synergy to get the best performance. My Von Schweikert speakers have self-powered subs, so that relieves the amp of having to drive deep bass.

For my tastes - which is mostly classical and jazz - it is obviously a keeper. Replacement 1610 tubes have been problematic to source. Over the years, I have purchased a couple spare sets to set aside when I could find a reliable tube dealer to source them.

The KR 1610 tube was designed for this amp. It is a perfect match.

It does take the right speaker to pair with the amp.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for reporting your experience with this amplifier.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing