sacd drive mechanism.. still available in the future?

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Just for obtaining some informations about availability of sacd drive mechanism of a few top players.
I’m looking for a sacd player to find in the used market that will replace my Lindemann 822, still very good but clearly lower in overall quality towards the top contenders.
My interest goes towards Emm Labs (CDSA-SE) or eventually the more expensive XDS1V1 and again the appreciated Playback MPS-5. In the second row I’ve also considered two Wadia models (581se or 781).
After a first looking in the web it seems that many drive mechanism are not available anymore from the manufacturers.
About EMM Labs I supposed that this occur not only for the Philips drive used in the first series of CDSA player; but also for the so-called “German drive” adopted in CDSA-SE; for me this is simply unacceptable; we’re not dealing in a cheap basic player !
Again... I read in the web that Esoteric will not supply in the future to third parts their mechanism (Playback uses Esoteric if I'm not wrong...).
My only goal is to avoid buying an used player in the eventuality of failure will become not-repairable..
Who in the web have some suggestions or updating to let me know?
Thanksss in advance
Marco

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
DCS have a large stock of the Esoteric drives for servicing their sacd transports.

As far as I have heard DCS have an agreement with Esoteric to go on supplying drives and parts for the SACD transports.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
As far as I have heard DCS have an agreement with Esoteric to go on supplying drives and parts for the SACD transports.

Hopefully you are correct but I thought Esoteric stopped supplying the drives to all third parties and I assumed that was why the Rossini is redbook only. I figure that's why Esoteric developed the K1(one box grandioso).

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

I heard DCS just stocked enough parts to service their client base...and bought enough transports to cover their projected Vivaldi demand...

I guess one of us needs to email dCS or our dealer to get the real story hear...not sure what is best or who is right..

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Hopefully you are correct but I thought Esoteric stopped supplying the drives to all third parties and I assumed that was why the Rossini is redbook only.

+1

I have spoken about this with Rav from dCS in Munuch.

Why do you think the Vivaldi One is limited to 250 pcs only ?

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Playback Designs will be releasing their "Dream" Series DAC and SACD player at the end of this year

yes Steve; I was in Munchen and I saw the nice Playback's set that was in static display. I have the brochure here and it's stated "audiophile grade SACD/CD transport". Looking close it seems very similar to Mps-5 and made by Esoteric...
thanksss
Marco

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I believe part of the confusion here is that for years and I believe as of late as well, Esoteric continues to offer companies some of its transports; it has not however offered certain transports to DCS and others as those top models remain Esoteric's competitive advantage...I would also not be surprised if Playback and DCS have an inventory of transports going back years and plenty of models of the current OEM offerings to sustain them for the future.

soundArgument

May 12, 2013
London
Just for obtaining some informations about availability of sacd drive mechanism of a few top players.
I’m looking for a sacd player to find in the used market that will replace my Lindemann 822, still very good but clearly lower in overall quality towards the top contenders.
My interest goes towards Emm Labs (CDSA-SE) or eventually the more expensive XDS1V1 and again the appreciated Playback MPS-5. In the second row I’ve also considered two Wadia models (581se or 781).
After a first looking in the web it seems that many drive mechanism are not available anymore from the manufacturers.
About EMM Labs I supposed that this occur not only for the Philips drive used in the first series of CDSA player; but also for the so-called “German drive” adopted in CDSA-SE; for me this is simply unacceptable; we’re not dealing in a cheap basic player !
Again... I read in the web that Esoteric will not supply in the future to third parts their mechanism (Playback uses Esoteric if I'm not wrong...).
My only goal is to avoid buying an used player in the eventuality of failure will become not-repairable..
Who in the web have some suggestions or updating to let me know?
Thanksss in advance
Marco

I would look for a suitable PS3 and rip to hard disk/SSD. I bought a PS3 in 2014 and have done this with my entire collection of 500+ SACDs without a hitch.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
I ended with buying an used EMM CDSA-SE with the X upgrade and German drive mechanism.
It sounds too much better than my previous Lindemann 822 player, no context.
So I decide to take the risk; I'm searching in the web news about the sacd drive (probably made by Austrian Streamunlimited) but it seems no longer available (and manufacturer does not relate with private owners).
Emm Labs remain the only way to have chance for support and repairs at my knowledge.
In the meantime I'm enyoying this excellent player; hope that will live for a long time.
Marco

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
DCS can still service their now discontinued models
The Esoteric drives are very durable and should not require replacement but can develop modest faults which may require attention but not replacement of the complete drive and thus not too expensive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing