Active isolation, another report

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Looks like Mike is going the extra mile
We salute you
Mike, my journey cannot extend down the "actively isolate rack, then actively isolate each component" route
For me this would mean insanity and financial ruin LOL NOT!
No, my q is purely one based on the fact that these active platforms deal w conflicting tech in tower lab equipment like scanning microscopes w many moving parts and sensitive circuits
And one platform does the job
So, on this premise, surely one active platform under a single rack w multiple components stacked above, as long as tolerance limit for the whole shebang is not breached, should be just as effective as a single platform under each component on each tier of the rack
I can't for the life of me see how it wouldn't be as effective
And in terms of affordability, 4 active platforms (in my case, one to: tt, phono, phono psu, one to cdp, pre, pre psu, one to both monos, one to bpt) instead of 8 to isolate 8 components is a whole lot more approachable

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Husk
£3300 for Stacore Adv
Roughly twice that for Kuraka

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Had quite the epiphany moment today
Tuned my Zus down a bit, subs crossovers 37Hz, level 3/10
Symposium Acoustics steel/Al pucks under cdp
But most critically, I popped the on-loan active Kuraka under my 85kg 8kVA Westwick balanced power transformer
Here the chassis has some ongoing vibration from the massive toroidal coil, and I believe this is where the Kuraka performed its magic
And magic it is
Just a stripping away of yet more grunge that again unless you become aware of its absence would mean nothing to you
This clarifying of the fundamental low frequencies seems to do two big things
Bass becomes less a swamp of energy and more an organic entity leading to music truly having more meaning and emotion
And this apparent lubrucating of the spectrum further up, allowing mids to become more transparent than ever, and highs to sparkle and shimmer w abs no hint of edginess
Communication really shines thru big time, and for my part, it's a final frontier upgrade that I have to consider applying to each component
The consequence of all this is that funds I would have diverted into pricey components upgrades is just not needed anymore, I have the tonal and character I like, and funds now invested into progressive components' active or passive isolation will allow me to truly max out my system signature
Even at my jaded level of audiophile cynicism, this truly is a real eye/ear opener

Marc, congratulations on the results! We are experiencing sth very similar with each audition.
I'm quite surprised that the effect is still there
so much down the chain, at the big power transformer! Unfortunately for you,
once you go vib free, there is no way back ;)

BTW, your platform is on the way, should be there by tue next week.
Looking forward for more of your findings,

Cheers,

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Jarek
Eagerly awaiting yr platform
My early experience w isolation platforms is as promising as all my other epiphany moments in audio upgrading/optimising
W power and acoustics sorted, and system balance/tone v much to my liking, I'm considering vibration/noise isolation to components as my last frontier re reducing noise and grunge, opening up transparency and drive, all w'out altering the basic flavour of my sound
Hoping to report good things in the passive v active comparison in the next wk

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
Hi Husk
£3300 for Stacore Adv
Roughly twice that for Kuraka

I emailed kuraka and received a quote of yen 1.22m. Not sure if it includes shipping and taxes.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I believe I've somewhat underplayed the Kuraka price
A new updated 600x500 footprint platform is due in UK at c£8.5k
This puts it in Herzan and Accurion pricing territory
Tbh I could see myself using a combination of Stacore Adv under my tt, this smaller Kuraka under my bpt, and bigger Accurion i4large (700x550 footprint) under my Symposium rack to isolate cdp, pre and pre psu, and another for both monos

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Husk
www.kuraka.co.jp
I'm dealing w the UK official distrbr

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
I shall add on to this thread.
I added 2 more Herzan TS 150 to my existing accurion i4 platform. The 2 Herzan went under my amplifier and Aurender. The additions benefitted sonics in the following way:
1. Background became even darker without any negatives
2. Music floated even better with soundstage and imaging improving even more.
3. Presentation took on an even greater sense of ease. Dynamics improved and there is a nice prat factor which did not sound harsh.

I had a friend over and he validated my observations independently. I was initially sceptical if it may benefit my set up given I had already 2 accurion i4 on my tube components and did not expect performance on my solid state gear to improve. All my gear were already on symposium ultra which were stacked above the active. In a way the passive platforms lowed me to go with the smaller size herzan Ts 150 as largest component can obtain good support on the symposium.
Interestingly, I found the the platform benefitted my amp more than the aurender.. So on a whole I would say that the investment paid off very well.... More so as I was able to source the herzan second hand at a good price.
Needless to say my pal ordered 2 herzan for his system.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
What happened to the Minus K inclusion in the comparison?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
CJ, my idea to test drive the Minus K frustratingly came to nought
I had to mass load the BM-8 to get things at max load capacity
Unfortunately the material in loading slab was easily audible in the final analysis
The case whether concrete or granite
No good for my purposes

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Alvin, good to know isolation helping each component to a greater or lesser extent
As you know I'm going Stacore thruout starting w platforms for tt/phono and balanced pwr transformer bpt
Looking in due course to Stacore out my cdp, tubed pre, SS pre psu, tubed monos and phono psu
An undertaking that will take a couple of yrs to complete

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Marc will you have the Stacore and active platform long enough to directly compare them under your turntable?

LOL. I thought that was the whole premise of Marc's testing in the first place :D That was certainly what I was looking forward to reading about.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Im afraid my tt is back mid July at earliest
I've heard passive air (Speirs Robertson) and active (Accurion i4) under it in the past, and both were advantageous
W the Kuraka and Stacore trials being as positive if not more this time around, I have no worries on this front to buy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing