Bitcoin

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Btw, if you guys need anymore motivation, Mia Khalifa recommended it too

Wow, what an explosion of dog shit this all is... plus he's going to court if he keeps this up.

What's his message? That everyone poorer than him has to use a shitty inflationary meme-currency because only he's allowed to make products that irresponsibly use electricity - that the government pays for with our tax dollars?

Bitcoin doesn't even use 1% of global electricity. Sustainable energy is solving itself without needs for changes in Bitcoin.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The last time I looked at the Github repo, the Doge "dev team" had not made a commit or add in over 2 months.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I really think it's hugely and surprisingly irresponsible of Elon Musk (and of Mark Cuban) to be promoting Dogecoin.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is going straight to 42k (work some bounces). The king is dead. Long live the dog

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveC

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I think it's hugely irresponsible for all the world's governments to allow bitcoin to exist.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think it's hugely irresponsible for all the world's governments to allow bitcoin to exist.

Now I understand why you dislike Bitcoin. Bitcoin is grounded in libertarianism. Your natural impulse seems to lean totalitarian.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
This is going straight to 42k (work some bounces). The king is dead. Long live the dog

Previously I said $20k, but IDK if it'll dip that low.

I am getting the feeling holding any crypto that ends up going mainstream, and by that I mean a large number of businesses willing to take it as payment for something that actually has value, is going to be massively financially beneficial for the holder.

And I don't think it'll be btc simply because far superior and much more efficient options will replace it. But since it's an original people may treat it like gold, that's already the thing... it's NOT a currency, it's a "store of wealth". Lol. But there's nothing there! At least with gold you get some nice jewelry.

Then everything will be chaos when a breakthrough in computing power and/or AI makes it all a lot less secure than it is now. It's really just a matter of time. Potentially a lot less time than you'd think if things keep progressing as they have historically.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Now I understand why you dislike Bitcoin. Bitcoin is grounded in libertarianism. Your natural impulse seems to lean totalitarian.

Not for most things. But for btc I think it's lack of efficiency and use for criminal activity is enough to simply ban it, and there are other social reasons such as the fact that we as a society depend on using money to function and and a gentle evolution rather than a revolution is far less harmful to more people.

How is it fair that some are able to risk big $ on speculative assets like btc while other can't afford to take that risk, and then their money becomes less valuable as the one who takes the risk gets richer. The one who can afford to take the risk is already relatively wealthy, so this seems like a scheme for some people to just keep getting much more wealthy WITHOUT CONTRIBUTING ANYTHING.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dave is right to the extent that any investment has risk and therefore those who cannot afford to lose can't take it, so invariably rich take the risk and get richer. But this is not restricted to crypto and is same for stocks.

Reactions: DaveC

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
To make the situation worse Elon Musk is making it so that if you bet on him with doge and he succeeds you will make a ton of money. It seems he's really trying to get doge to work and go mainstream. If he's successful it seems likely we'll see that $5 doge, or more. $5 doge is 10x, Elon succeeding is maybe 50/50... not sure any bookie is going to take those odds!

So, people realize this and are like, OMG, I gotta take this bet! And now EVERYONE owns doge because the bet is too good not to hedge against it... And Elon wins!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . those who cannot afford to lose can't take it, so invariably rich take the risk and get richer.

In what world do all financial risks result in positive returns?

It is a "risk" precisely because the prospect of profit or loss is uncertain, not invariably profitable.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave is right to the extent that any investment has risk and therefore those who cannot afford to lose can't take it, so invariably rich take the risk and get richer. But this is not restricted to crypto and is same for stocks.

Like stocks on steroids!

And another part of the issue is many people may lose more money than they can afford to gamble because of the odds I postulated above.

And then old folks with cash-rich fixed retirement accounts all of a sudden have to reduce their standards of living simply because of this.

And then... (I could go on...) Look, these are some of the issues people don't consider, there are potential downsides to a society that uses competing currencies. Think about it. The biggest issue is the poorest and most vulnerable will be the losers. This isn't a positive trend. We're all better off when there is no poverty.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
In your analysis why does "their money becomes less valuable"?

IMO, that will be the inevitable result of competing currencies, and the rate of growth of cryptocurrencies has allowed those able to invest unusually large returns. As I said, stocks on steroids.

Again, the issue is the monetary system should reward those who contribute the most value the most wealth. Crypto is allowing people who have the opportunity to invest an ability to grow wealth without contributing anything at all.

At least in stocks you buy into a company that is rewarded financially for producing value, and as an investor, and hence part owner of that company, you share the rewards. It's a totally different thing vs crypto which does not provide value.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In what world do all financial risks result in positive returns?

It is a "risk" precisely because the prospect of profit or loss is uncertain, not invariably profitable.

Yes but the poor can't afford a risk was his point. My point was that this is not a crypto thing

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
To make the situation worse Elon Musk is making it so that if you bet on him with doge and he succeeds you will make a ton of money. It seems he's really trying to get doge to work and go mainstream. If he's successful it seems likely we'll see that $5 doge, or more. $5 doge is 10x, Elon succeeding is maybe 50/50... not sure any bookie is going to take those odds!

So, people realize this and are like, OMG, I gotta take this bet! And now EVERYONE owns doge because the bet is too good not to hedge against it... And Elon wins!

This is how crypto will take over the world, it's becoming a self-fulfilling prophesy.

I forget who said it's irresponsible not to invest in crypto, but that may be true. If it is true, then everyone who doesn't want to financially cripple themselves out of principle must invest. Not too many folks want to financially cripple themselves, I think it's an insignificant number. So, everyone invests. Let me know where this logic doesn't work out!

At least for now I just made ~15% in the last week on doge and my 401K made about the same last year. So IDK about comparing crypto to stocks. There are big differences. Tons of people bought in around $.05 and it's now $.50, and that's in the last 30 days!

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Not for most things. But for btc I think it's lack of efficiency and use for criminal activity is enough to simply ban it, and there are other social reasons such as the fact that we as a society depend on using money to function and and a gentle evolution rather than a revolution is far less harmful to more people.

How is it fair that some are able to risk big $ on speculative assets like btc while other can't afford to take that risk, and then their money becomes less valuable as the one who takes the risk gets richer. The one who can afford to take the risk is already relatively wealthy, so this seems like a scheme for some people to just keep getting much more wealthy WITHOUT CONTRIBUTING ANYTHING.
Like with everything else?

The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and no one does it better than the USA.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Best advice is to counter trade myself. When you expect bitcoin to nuke, it will start up to 100k.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing