Bitcoin

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ya but if you follow the Bitcoin world you know that its purpose is wholly virtuous with no association to such activities. Rather it represents a mind numbing waste of precious resources to duplicate a service already efficiently met by safe, regulated means. Well at least no innocent bystanders will be hurt along the way.

Thanks for the early Christmas present. I love comedy.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
Maybe an enlightened fellow like yourself could help me with an explanation of my naivete. It would be greatly appreciated.

No explanation required - it was the simple observation of your use of the word 'safe' that gives away your naivete. If you'd provide a reasoned justification for your use of that word, I'll withdraw my remark.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
No explanation required - it was the simple observation of your use of the word 'safe' that gives away your naivete. If you'd provide a reasoned justification for your use of that word, I'll withdraw my remark.

Well thanks for providing the explanation that you indicate wasn't required. Mine was, of course, a relative analysis regarding safety. If you can't' see the difference, I am not sure I can help you understand the relative safety of fiat currencies from major developed sovereigns (like the USD, GBP, Yen, or Euro) versus bitcoin. Somethings are self evident, even to the naive.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
If you have reasoned arguments that Bitcoin is less safe than any (or all) sovereign fiat currency, I'm all ears.

Well as I said it is self evident. So much so I am not sure your question is even serious. You can start by something as simplistic as my Post #140 or take a census of established commercial enterprises that accept bitcoin in exchange for property. The most compelling arguement, however, would be your own judgement. To be clear, are you saying if you were required by statute to deposit 100% of your net worth in either Bitcoin or the USD for the next five years you would choose Bitcoin? Maybe answer that question as the starting point of the analysis.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
Well as I said it is self evident.

QED - your naivety is self-evident.

So much so I am not sure your question is even serious.

I don't see I've asked a question. I've made a request, no sweat if you have nothing to offer.

To be clear, are you saying if you were required by statute to deposit 100% of your net worth in either Bitcoin or the USD for the next five years you would choose Bitcoin?

No, very definitely not. But that's an entirely hypothetical situation you've chosen to suit your own position. Why choose a term of 5 years? Looks arbitrary to me.

Maybe answer that question as the starting point of the analysis.

Naivety again, writ large. ;)

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
That's what's called 'consensus reality' - that banks ought to be safer.

To analyze this we'd first need a definition of 'safe'. I doubt there'd be any agreement on what it means though.

Dude you are hilarious.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think in a increasingly digital world , we need a digital currency , sounds good to me bitcoin , plus i hope it takes some of the power away from governments .

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Only because I love them twin brothers:

Winkelvoss twins vindicated in bitcoin’s steep rise

"They said they might look at selling when the value of all the bitcoin in circulation approaches the value of all gold in the world — some $7 trillion or $8 trillion compared with the $310 billion value of all bitcoin on Tuesday — given that they think bitcoin is set to replace gold as a rare commodity. But then Tyler Winklevoss questioned even that, pointing out the ways that he believes bitcoin is better than gold."

“In a funny way, I’m not sure we’d even sell there,” he said. “Bitcoin is more than gold — it’s a programmable store of money. It may continue to innovate.”

Them twins have ambition, big as the sky above the stars...
They want to become the first trillionaire twins on the surface of this globe.
I wish them all the best in the new year, 2018...and beyond.
Happy New Year...Prosperity, Health, Wealth and Wisdom.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
"They said they might look at selling when the value of all the bitcoin in circulation approaches the value of all gold in the world — some $7 trillion or $8 trillion compared with the $310 billion value of all bitcoin on Tuesday — given that they think bitcoin is set to replace gold as a rare commodity. But then Tyler Winklevoss questioned even that, pointing out the ways that he believes bitcoin is better than gold."

Flawed thinking. You can apply this logic to the total market cap of all cryptos, but when the smoke has cleared, the question is, how much of the cryto portfolio has been allocated to bitcoin. If superior digital currencies come along, it is very conceivable the while the asset class is worth trillions at some point, bitcoin represents zero percent of that value.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
There are already "superior" cryptos. So that theory is just wrong.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You're excluding too many factors. You're looking at just through the lens of value to the dollar.

Alt coins are popular to trade with, but maybe you should look at what is minable. If it isn't minable or POS, it'll never ever be able to take over what Bitcoin does for value storing.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Elevator down boys...down around 40% from the top. Hit 10,000 this afternoon. Long way to go.

I do recall suggesting sell crypto into year-end or at least trim positions.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
This-is-only.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing